Door Swap by VFR182
Started on: 01-16-2008 12:17 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: jaskispyder on 01-16-2008 12:39 PM
VFR182

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VFR182Send a Private Message to VFR182Direct Link to This Post
A friend suggested I move doors from a 1984 notchback onto my 1985 nothback conversion to upgrade to power windows. The 84 has them and 85 does not. He thought that all the necessary wiring is in the 1985 and it should be an easy swap. Have a couple questions.
1. will it be an easy swap as far as electronics.
2. I read somewhere that swapping doors was problematic as they were "matched" specifically with each car and wouldnt fit perfectly, is this right,
3. how hard it is it to swap door skins as the 85 is freshly painted and the 84 is not.

any help or advice would be great! thanks in advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
If the car was not equipped with power windows, then the wiring will NOT be there.

I would recommend you swap the insides of the door. Also, I believe the 84 door panel mounting is different, so you may not be able to put an 85 panel on it.

I have converted two cars to power options and I tried the swap door method... too much work because you have to line up the door and door panel afterwards. Not worth the effort.

Wiring is the same either way. There is a junction box under the dash, above the fuse box. This is where you will plug in for power. If you can look at the donor car, that will make things easier.

J.

Originally posted by VFR182:

A friend suggested I move doors from a 1984 notchback onto my 1985 nothback conversion to upgrade to power windows. The 84 has them and 85 does not. He thought that all the necessary wiring is in the 1985 and it should be an easy swap. Have a couple questions.
1. will it be an easy swap as far as electronics.
2. I read somewhere that swapping doors was problematic as they were "matched" specifically with each car and wouldnt fit perfectly, is this right,
3. how hard it is it to swap door skins as the 85 is freshly painted and the 84 is not.

any help or advice would be great! thanks in advance

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock