Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Does Archie' kit use a short neck water pump?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Does Archie' kit use a short neck water pump? by NY_FIERO
Started on: 01-10-2008 01:33 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: NY_FIERO on 01-10-2008 11:33 PM
NY_FIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
Not the electric type the good old belt driven type... is it a standard pump or a shorty? any gm part numbers thanks
timg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
If you're not going to use an electric W/P (most everybody uses the electric pump nowadays) then you'll need the short pump.

One of the original applications for the pump was 1963 Chevy II with a 283.

You need to find the one without the boss in the middle at the top. A true '63 Chevy II doesn't have the boss.

Try CarQuest 10-454 or Hastings WP138A & inspect that the correct pump is in the box.

Here is a pic of the exact casting you want, accept no others.

Archie

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

Not the electric type the good old belt driven type... is it a standard pump or a shorty? any gm part numbers thanks
timg

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
and to add, this is the pump that you DONT want.
some part stores try to sell you this one. which would work on a normal car.

some pumps have an upper outlet.
some pumps are cast to have the upper outlet, but it hasn't been drilled and tapped.

A1 cardone uses a standardized numbering system 58-129

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 01-10-2008).]

Boominator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoominatorSend a Private Message to BoominatorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

If you're not going to use an electric W/P (most everybody uses the electric pump nowadays) then you'll need the short pump.

One of the original applications for the pump was 1963 Chevy II with a 283.

You need to find the one without the boss in the middle at the top. A true '63 Chevy II doesn't have the boss.

Try CarQuest 10-454 or Hastings WP138A & inspect that the correct pump is in the box.

Archie

I'm glad that Jim asked this question and many thanks to Archie & Buddy for posting pictures of what we want and exactly what we don't want for the older SBC-V8 applications. I'm thinking of going the mechanical pump route this spring. It's a brutal experience to get all of the air out of my Moroso electric set-up.

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boominator:
I'm glad that Jim asked this question and many thanks to Archie & Buddy for posting pictures of what we want and exactly what we don't want for the older SBC-V8 applications. I'm thinking of going the mechanical pump route this spring. It's a brutal experience to get all of the air out of my Moroso electric set-up.

thanks, you're welcome.

and i say do it.
i'm past 50,000 miles and i'm still on my first belt.
i should probably get in touch with archie and order me a spare.
although it is a Browning belt, the width isn't a standard size so i wouldn't be able to get one if i broke down.
there is a thinner one avable through Granger that would probably get me by in a pinch.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 01-10-2008).]

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
Thanks... what an informative response.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock