Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Can polyester fiberglass resin be used to pot electronics?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Can polyester fiberglass resin be used to pot electronics? by Zac88GT
Started on: 01-09-2008 09:48 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Pyrthian on 01-10-2008 10:12 AM
Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
I just built a display gauge for my LC1 WB02 controller and i have a lot of spare polyester resin laying around. Just wondering if it's a suitable potting compound or will it cause the PIC and other stuff to act funky?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
How thick? It's prone to overheat and crack if it's >1/4"

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
It would be about 1" from top to bottom. There shouldn't be much heat being generated though, it's just a PIC driving some 7 segment LED's. Would i be better off with silicone or something more flexible?
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i think he ment the resin would overheat and crack, ive had this happen on many things, if you lay it in, more than 1/4" thick without mat or something in it, it will crack from the heat being given off from the hardening process.

matthew
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Ahh, i see what u mean, no matter, i decided not to pot it anyway but here it is. Just accepts an analogue input from 0-5 volts and displays the afr from 10.0 to 19.9.

The place i got my LC1 from wanted an extra $150 for the gauge so i made this one for like $5
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it would be fine. no components that need airflow for heat disapation, are there?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Ordinary polyester resin isn't a good choice for potting. Polyester shrinks slightly as it cures, which can introduce significant stresses into the electronic components, and then it's very brittle after cure. Potting isn't really necessary for most electronic assemblies, as long as they are mounted in some kind of enclosure, kept dry, and not regularly exposed to corrosive atmospheres (e.g. salt air). Also consider that after cure any potting compound is virtually impossible to remove for repairs or modifications.

If you still want to experiment with potting, silicone rubber is a good material to try. I've used ordinary silicone bathtub caulk successfully, but it's better if you can find one of the silicone rubber sealers that don't include acetic acid in the formulation (i.e. no vinegar odor).

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-10-2008).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Looks good. Ordinary polyester resin isn't a good choice for potting. Polyester shrinks slightly as it cures, which can introduce significant stresses into the electronic components, and then it's very brittle after cure. Potting isn't really necessary for most electronic assemblies, as long as they are mounted in some kind of enclosure, kept dry, and not regularly exposed to corrosive atmospheres (e.g. salt air). Also consider that after cure any potting compound is virtually impossible to remove for repairs or modifications.

If you still want to experiment with potting, silicone rubber is a good material to try. I've used ordinary silicone bathtub caulk successfully, but it's better if you can find one of the silicone rubber sealers that don't include acetic acid in the formulation (i.e. no vinegar odor).

yes - even better
"aquarium sealant" is a good silicone with no acetic acid
hot glue
rubber cement

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock