Started on: 01-03-2008 08:00 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: TXGOOD on 01-03-2008 03:40 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have idle problems that seem to come and go?
My car is a Automatic V-6.
I drove it two days ago and it was idling fine, no problem whatsoever.
I have had problems in the past with it occasionally idling erratically but nothing really bad.
This morning I drove it and it would not idle at all.
It would try to die when it would drop to about 1200 to 1300 rpm.
As I said it has idled a little bad at times before but nothing this severe.
The only difference in this morning is the temp is about 25 degrees which I never usually drive it in this type of cold.
But, I would think that once it warmed up the cold would not affect it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey TX, when you say poor idle, is the problem a fluctuating idle? Meaning that it continues to bounce up and down every couple of seconds?

I've had that problem. It can be caused by a number of different things, this could be either a failed MAP, a failing O2 sensor, or a lot of carbon buildup in the intake.

Does the engine shoot any codes?

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
No, that`s what it does occasionally.
This morning if I let it get under about 1200-1300 rpm it was just quitting, like I had turned the key off.
I really think I have an issue with the IAC and I will probably just replace it instead of cleaning it.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sound like the IAC, but I would also check your fuel pressure to see what your running. If it is low can make it act funny.

You could, as a test, also unplug the TCC just to see if that makes any difference...
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I checked the fuel pressure a couple of weeks ago for another problem and it was good.
Will the TCC only affect it when it is in gear because mine won`t even idle in Park.
Mike
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I had this problem before, and it was due to carbon buildup in the IAC passage.

What happens is, the EGR recirculates all the crap into the intake. It goes pretty much everywhere in the intake and it can deposit soot in and around the opening of the IAC. The pintle on the IAC is very specific. It expects to see readings when it's at a certain position. If there's soot buildup, this shortens the travel of the pintle to the opening slightly, when this happens, it starts to choke the motor and the motor begins to stumble. It sees this abnormal reading, so it backs off causing the idle to jump back up to 1,200 rpms. It will continue to do this same process continuously...

Being that it's really cold out (it's 41 degrees here in Miami right now, so I can only imagine how cold it must be everywhere else north of me), there's probably other issues with the car which are exaserbating the problem with your IAC.

My guess is that your cold start injector is probably clogged just enough that when coupled with the IAC / idle issue, it prevents the car from being able to properly idle.

The IAC is a pretty simple fix. Remove the IAC (it unscrews) and then use a can of "carburetor or throttle body cleaner" and spray inside the opening of the IAC, This will clean the opening. Also make sure you have the correct IAC O-ring to throttle body gasket. If you don't this can also upset the readings / distance from the IAC pintle to the opening. Also, put in some Seafoam or BG-44 into your gas tank. That'll clean all your injectors (including the cold start injector).

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Try a new MAT sensore thats the one in duct between the airfilter box and the TB. Dont jump it out either! If they are flaky then can drive the ECU nuts making change the A/F ratio, I know this for a fact as I saw a bad one do it while I my wideband on the engine. BTW: I think are only like $13

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.
That makes since also Francis because of the low temp this morning, it could have thrown it off.
I`m going to see how it does today as it has warmed up a bit.
I have ordered a IAC and I will probably go ahead and replace the MAT also.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock