which 4x6 speakers fit? by 3.4Turbo
Started on: 12-15-2007 11:57 PM
Replies: 36
Last post by: sjmaye on 05-05-2008 06:20 PM
3.4Turbo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboDirect Link to This Post
Crutchfield say none of the 4x6 speakers they sell fit the stock pillar location. Can anyone tell me what fits and if they put any of the listed nonfitting speakers into this location. John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Really? You can't have a super deep speaker but sometimes the holes don't line up and you have to dremel the holes different or a bit bigger sometimes. I used Pioneer TS-G4641R's, I got them from www.partsexpress.com cheaper than walmart. Not the highest end sound, but easy on the wallet and they fit my car fine.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I installed some Clarions in mine:

http://fierodomain.com/content/view/268/214/

In addition to depth, watch out for plate speakers with a seperate Tweeter and Woofer. The offset woofer magnet may hit the edge of the cutout if you attempt to install the speaker in the stock configuration.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics, Now Compatible with your Mobile Device!

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
yeah i screwed up and bought Infinity and they were too deep...my backup was pioneer since they matched the 4x10's up front.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I have Boston Acoustic 4 x 6s in several vehicles but do not remember the specific model number at this time.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The standard coaxial 4X6 ovals will fit with no problem. Some of the higher end, higher power ones have deep magnets and you can add a spacer plate if these are the speakers you want to use. Depending on how much room you need, The sail panel might bulge a little but should look fine. As for the 4X6 plates that use a 3.5" woofer and a seperate tweeter, They will fit but you do need to do a little cutting/bending of the metal for the magnet because it is offset from the center and the hole in the metal is oval.
A third option is to make a spacer plate that is the same thickness as the stock one then install a 4" round speaker with a seperate tweeter like I did:

Other pics here:
http://www.polkaudio.com/ca...talls/view.php?id=13

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Plates will work fine, but you have to be aware of the magnet sizes - large magnets will cause fitment problems. This also applies to co-axial 4x6 speakers. I have Infinity plates and they work fine. Others say Infinity's don't work. Infinity and other companies usually make more than one model of speaker and sometimes their magnet sizes will be quite different.

Compare the Infinity Reference 6422.CPF magnet

to the Infinity Kappa 4627.CPF magnet (Neodymium motor structure with integrated heatsink)

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Scosche 4x6 plates PN SA463. You can mount whatever 3.5" midrange/tweeter component set you can fit in the pillar.
http://www.audiooutfitter.c.../scosche/p77088.html

Xanth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Cool find, thanks for posting that
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Plates will work fine, but you have to be aware of the magnet sizes - large magnets will cause fitment problems. This also applies to co-axial 4x6 speakers. I have Infinity plates and they work fine. Others say Infinity's don't work. Infinity and other companies usually make more than one model of speaker and sometimes their magnet sizes will be quite different.

to the Infinity Kappa 4627.CPF magnet (Neodymium motor structure with integrated heatsink)

Which Infinity plates do you use witout problems?
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
The Reference series has smaller magnets. The Kappas have the larger magnet with the heat sink which makes the speaker deeper. Some of the older kappa series do not have the huge magnets but they have been out of production for a while now.
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
the pioneer 4x6 fit fine, sound good and take decent power.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Memphis Audio - had to modify the recessed area slightly with a hammer. Sound great.
emsdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for emsdadSend a Private Message to emsdadDirect Link to This Post
I put Infinity Refrence on all 4 corners. I bought 2 prs at Best Buy for 150.00 (buy 1 get 1 50% off). I put i pr in the pillar behind seats and replace the 4x10 in the dash. Pretty good sound for unit powered speeks.

They are 4x6 plates

[This message has been edited by emsdad (edited 04-29-2008).]

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
whatever you do, do not buy pyle 4 x 6 (X gear). There magnets are hugeeeeeee! and you will have to rip through the steel frame in order to make them fit. Although time consuming, but the sound is absolutely amazing, crisp, and powerful.

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Those pyles sound like they would be great replacements for the 4x10 in the front. got a link to em?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Do the Infinity Reference 6422.CPF bolt up without any modification?
cherokee 140

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cherokee 140Click Here to visit cherokee 140's HomePageSend a Private Message to cherokee 140Direct Link to This Post
I am an idiot as far as radios go, so if this is stupid forgive me;

How do these new speakers your talking about work with the factory radio
and a little off topic
is there a factory (Delco) radio that will fit in the existing hole that has a cd player? What is required in swapping it out? I have read about codes and such and that kind of scared me off. I just don't like the look of aftermarket radios, they just don't look right in the space.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cherokee 140:

... is there a factory (Delco) radio that will fit in the existing hole that has a cd player? What is required in swapping it out? I have read about codes and such and that kind of scared me off. I just don't like the look of aftermarket radios, they just don't look right in the space.

Just about any pre-2001 GM Delco unit will fit with harness adapters. But Pontiacs will have the same red/orange lighting as the Fiero (Chev/Olds is green)

See here: http://replacementradios.co....php?cPath=21_42_204

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-01-2008).]

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
I just bought an 85 GT. Are there pillar mounts on it? Also, is speaker magnet size a concern in the dash speakers?

Thanks!
Brit

------------------
What really matters is the size of your Flux Capacitor...

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

Which Infinity plates do you use witout problems?

I looked up what I bought through my PayPal history. I bought the Infinity reference 462.1cf like these. They are 1-13/16" deep, most of the others are closer to 2" deep. Depth makes a difference, as well as how large the basket around the woofer is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinit...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looking through the Infinity stuff here, I see they have LOTS of 4x6. Type PLATE, then select a speaker and VIEW product, then Detailed Product Information on the next screen.

http://infinitysystems.com/...ountry=US&Region=USA

Kappa 462.3 CFP and 462.5 CFP have the least depth at 1-3/4", but the "plus sizing" of the woofer in the 462.5 may require enlarging the hole in the pillar for the speaker.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-30-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NashvilleFiero:

I just bought an 85 GT. Are there pillar mounts on it? Also, is speaker magnet size a concern in the dash speakers?

84-85 had speakers in the headrests. It's doubtful the pillars will have the holes for speakers. For 86-88 they did away with those and installed them in the pillars. Note that you'll see the "odd" car out there, an 86 without pillar speakers for example.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with magnet sizes in the dash. Some people have even installed 6"x9" speakers under there - though I'd expect it to be a little tight in the driver's side.

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

Those pyles sound like they would be great replacements for the 4x10 in the front. got a link to em?

Here is a link. I bought all four speakers for around 80 bucks. Best 80 bucks I spent but tough to install.

http://www.beachaudio.com/P...Plg41-3-p-55313.html

------------------

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

chrismclubm

857 posts
Member since Aug 2007

Originally posted by NashvilleFiero:

Thanks!
Brit

you can literally buy any 4x10 speaker and they will fit without headache. Magnet size is no problem.

------------------

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone cut holes in the pillars of a pre-86 car and had a good result?

------------------
What really matters is the size of your Flux Capacitor...

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

I looked up what I bought through my PayPal history. I bought the Infinity reference 462.1cf like these. They are 1-13/16" deep, most of the others are closer to 2" deep. Depth makes a difference, as well as how large the basket around the woofer is.

Looking through the Infinity stuff here, I see they have LOTS of 4x6. Type PLATE, then select a speaker and VIEW product, then Detailed Product Information on the next screen.

Kappa 462.3 CFP and 462.5 CFP have the least depth at 1-3/4", but the "plus sizing" of the woofer in the 462.5 may require enlarging the hole in the pillar for the speaker.

So between the different models is ~3/16" difference in depth? Wow. So 2" depth will not fit?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

So between the different models is ~3/16" difference in depth? Wow. So 2" depth will not fit?

My Infinity's fit fine. Other people have bought Infinity's and said there was no way to make them fit in there. As I said...

Depth makes a difference, as well as HOW LARGE the basket around the woofer is.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-01-2008).]

NeoTristan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoTristanClick Here to visit NeoTristan's HomePageSend a Private Message to NeoTristanDirect Link to This Post
So far I've installed two pairs of Pioneers and they have plenty of room. I'm pretty sure the infinity's listed above will fit as well

------------------
Tristan
84 Fiero SE

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

From here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/081643.html

Originally posted by clok1966:

Dont by the 4X6 plates form Infinity, they do not fit. The magnets ont eh back are to large to fit without cutting or some major spaceing. I put a set in and they do go behind the panels, but its a huge PAIN unless you are good at fabricationg stuff. I would say you need a 3/4 to 1" spacer to make them fit correctly. Or am I just not doing it right?

He never came back to tell us which model number he bought.

Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyDirect Link to This Post
For front replacements, Kenwood has a very good 4 x 10 coax - very easy direct fit. I got two pairs (for two cars) from Crutchfield.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Many thanks fierosound. I will follow your lead with the 462.1cf .

PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Did anybody managed to fit Polk MOMO MC460 's into the 4x6 location?

I figure there might be some cutting involved for plates (or plates with large magnets), but is it actually possible to make them fit? Does anybody have installed pictures? (or a build thread?)

How do Polk MOMO's stack up against the new Infinity Kappa 4x6's anyways?

I heard abused MOMO's at Fry's Electronics one time, so I don't know what they actually sound like. The store's speaker wall sounded badly adjusted. (most the premium speakers sounded worse than the $20 cheapies, not to mention tons of "pushed in" domes from kids? pushing them in for the fun of it.)

I can't figure out which ones would sound better, MOMO's or Kappa's. Kappa's are 2ohm, MOMO's are 4ohm. So I don't know if I can even compare specs, or if it would be Apples to Oranges.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound,

I see many 462.xxcfp yadayadayada. I am looking for the 462.1cf as you noted, but can be hard to find. I can not make out the model number differences. Are any of the other 462 models the same?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

I see many 462.xxcfp yadayadayada. I am looking for the 462.1cf as you noted, but can be hard to find. I can not make out the model number differences. Are any of the other 462 models the same?

I don't know what the new equivalent is - they have so many. You may have to email Infinity to see what the closest match in physical size would be.

BazookaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Just to put in my two cents, since a lot of people seem to be wondering if infinity fits, I have the exact same speakers as the first image here in my posts. Fit very nicely in my opinion

------------------

3camlitlow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3camlitlowSend a Private Message to 3camlitlowDirect Link to This Post
I have Polk Momo 4x10s in the dash and Momo 4x6 plates in the back. The 4x6 plates were a pain and had to do a little trimming and hammering but the sound is worth it. Im driving them with just a Alpine IDA-x001 and it sounds awesome. My son asked if I had put a sub it.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BazookaFiero:

Just to put in my two cents, since a lot of people seem to be wondering if infinity fits, I have the exact same speakers as the first image here in my posts. Fit very nicely in my opinion

Bazooka- Thanks for that info. I just do not want to modify anything. With these you just bolt up, plug in, and put the b-pillar cover back on?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock