Were all coolant tubes created equal? by 2.5
Started on: 11-08-2007 08:15 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: ScotMac on 08-28-2008 10:59 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Do all Fiero's 84-88 have the same coolant tubes regarless of engine?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
No.

85-87 V6 models are all the same.
'88 V6 are different than earlier models
'84 4 cylinder is slightly different than '85-87 4cyl, but not by a lot, IIRC. I know I've made an '84 work on an '86
I don't know what an '88 4 cyl one is like, I've never actually seen a set from that model.

John Stricker

pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by pontiacman63383 (edited 11-08-2007).]

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
You gots to be faster, dude!

Actually, you also have to watch out. Some '87 models use the '88 coolant tubes. I don't know how many, but they apparently started changing over the heater hose routing in the late '87 production run. I've seen one '87 with '88 cooling setup. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe there are more like that, I don't know. The one I saw was certainly factory.

John Stricker

Originally posted by pontiacman63383:

beat me to it.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
To be more specific, the '88 tubes are unique to that year in that the tubes go under the front cross member and then turn up and out toward the radiator hoses. All of the pre-88 tubes in their various heater hose variations go over the cross member at the front and won't interchange with the '88s.

JazzMan
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Not only were there differences between model years, but also between the 4cyl and V6. The driver's side coolant pipe on the V6 is about 6" shorter than the 4cyl version.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
hmmm, so are there diagrams or pics or anything to help determin the visible diff on ones off the cars?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

You gots to be faster, dude!

Actually, you also have to watch out. Some '87 models use the '88 coolant tubes. I don't know how many, but they apparently started changing over the heater hose routing in the late '87 production run. I've seen one '87 with '88 cooling setup. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe there are more like that, I don't know. The one I saw was certainly factory.

John Stricker

My '87 GT has the heater return in the right coolant pipe.
That actually complicates the Northstar swap because the heater circuit doesn't circulate until the theromstat opens.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
That's the difference I was talking about, Will. I was not aware of the different front mounting that Jazzman posted about because I've never really worked on an '88. They're hard to find around here.

Off topic, but can't you just plug that on the coolant tube and use the Northstars stock heater circulation pipes, or did you modify that on your install? I'm not running a heater in my swap, so it's a non issue, just curious.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Will:

My '87 GT has the heater return in the right coolant pipe.
That actually complicates the Northstar swap because the heater circuit doesn't circulate until the theromstat opens.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I capped off the Northstar's heater return and just live with not having heat until the thermostat opens. The stock Northstar heater plumbing readily interfaces with the early V6 Fiero heater plumbing, but not, unfortunately, the later. I may just unplug the connection from the coolant pipe and run a hose to it so that I have heat the way I should.

'88 tubes go under a single location at the center of the crossmember, rather than over at the ends like the early pipes do.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

'88 tubes go under a single location at the center of the crossmember, rather than over at the ends like the early pipes do.

That's the spot where everyone places the floor jack.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
My '87 SE has the later style coolant pipes, with the heater hose going into the passenger side pipe. But they are NOT the '88 pipes. The front sections of the pipes follow frame rails, just like the '84-86 ones.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Is there any different diameter differences? I'm thinking of making new coolant pipes, but a larger diameter to help cooling my barely streetable V8
Dave

------------------

452hp (at the crank) 1987 GT, 1986 SE soon to be 24v VR6, 1987 GT (wife's toy), certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I've never run into any diameter differences, Dave. I can't speak for the '88's though. Perhaps Jazzman or Will would know.

John Stricker

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Is there any different diameter differences? I'm thinking of making new coolant pipes, but a larger diameter to help cooling my barely streetable V8
Dave

HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
Seems that the 4's and 6's on an '88 are the same to me. I've got an '88 coupe I4 and an '88 Formula both with engines pulled at the present time. Can provide pictures if wanted.

------------------
'88 Coupe (extensive mods underway)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086359.html

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK, the diameters are the same for all years. Tooling is expensive for mandrel bending thin-wall stainless steel tubing, it's cheaper to make one size fits all. The diameters are sufficient for cooling high-HP v8s, plus there's the additional benefit of the fact the metal tubes radiate heat as well.

JazzMan
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

AFAIK, the diameters are the same for all years. Tooling is expensive for mandrel bending thin-wall stainless steel tubing, it's cheaper to make one size fits all. The diameters are sufficient for cooling high-HP v8s, plus there's the additional benefit of the fact the metal tubes radiate heat as well.

JazzMan

I was concidering welding fins to the tubes to disapate the heat a little better. My V8 runs up to 235* in traffic with an oversized radiator and fan on. It sits at 180* down the road. I'd like to be more consistant. The second chioce is to add a second radiator in the quarter panel. A Porsche Boxster or VW Jetta secondary radiator should fit nicely.
Maybe I should check my tubes better to see if they are crushed in any spots before I go spend more money.
Dave

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Can anyone say how much different the 84 is from the 85 4 cyl? I am now the proud new owner of a crushed 84 coolant tube.

I have a spare 85 but I don't want to go through all the trouble if it won't fit.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2008 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Should be the same, do a visual inspection to make sure the mounting tabs are in the same place. Main shape of the tube should be identical because they didn't change the pan tooling until '88.

JazzMan
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

That's the spot where everyone places the floor jack.

Yes but you want to be careful. I have stopped using that when ever possible. I have watched it flex and I feel it should not.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I just bought an 84 coolant tube from a member, so the question is academic. But it's my belief that my coolant tube was crimped from the day I got it. Always did run a little warm, now I know why.

PFF
System Bot
BlackGT Codde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
one thing is: dont ever let mechanics lift your car w/out showing them the coolant tubes they will pinch in half
it can get pretty ugly with some shotty people and they try to make your wallet pay big bucks for it
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone considered a warning label to put on the rocker in that area?
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking about this the other day. I already have laminated copies of the jacking instruction picture color coded and everything that show the various lifting points for various types of lifts/jacks. (as found in Ogres cave). I was actually thinking about actually painting the areas on the underbody to match the color codes on the drawing. That way you hand the shop your laminated card, tell them to find the properly colored area under the car to match the equipment they're using and to jack/lift there and only there, or they will be held liable for any damage. Haven't decided to do it yet ... but I'm thinking about it.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 04-05-2008).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

I was thinking about this the other day. I already have laminated copies of the jacking instruction picture color coded and everything that show the various lifting points for various types of lifts/jacks. (as found in Ogres cave). I was actually thinking about actually painting the areas on the underbody to match the color codes on the drawing. That way you hand the shop your laminated card, tell them to find the properly colored area under the car to match the equipment they're using and to jack/lift there and only there, or they will be held liable for any damage. Haven't decided to do it yet ... but I'm thinking about it.

Rich

That's a good idea...

I was thinking about a decal for the underside of the rocker that says "NO LIFT" with maybe a skull and cross bones, for the people that don't speak english. After I replace my coolant tube I really don't want some garage monkey to crush it.

ScotMac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScotMacSend a Private Message to ScotMacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HTXtremes:

Seems that the 4's and 6's on an '88 are the same to me. I've got an '88 coupe I4 and an '88 Formula both with engines pulled at the present time. Can provide pictures if wanted.

Is it true? ie, are you 4-cyl and v6 Stainless coolant piping (running the length of the car) the same on the 88's? It appears that Fiero store only has the v6 ones, and i need a pair for a 4. Anyone know of any other source?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock