Started on: 06-05-2007 02:52 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: Austrian Import on 02-23-2008 03:04 PM
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

A couple of people (including me) are using the C5 13" on all fours using the stock Master w/o issues (3 yrs and counting). Howvever, it you feel the need to bump-up to a stronger master...why not? As for the C6 brakes system I don't know if using the stock one will work?

Price reductions. Thats why it would be better to supply your own C5 brakes and rotors and have D1S do all of the work. As mentioned, you'll find a few Corvette people letting them go for nearly nothing (compared to new). Corvetter Garage list the C5 13" for $400 I think? The basic one piece rotor aren't too expensive. Baer and Brembo's....$$$$$ Choose your poison.

http://www.corvettegarage.c...corvette-brakes.html

That makes sence. Thanks for the info. For right now I'm going to stick with using the 88 fiero calipers with the 12" rotors. I still want to use the stock GT wheels. Thanks again!

I own page 2! hehe

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-02-2007).]

IP: Logged
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
I found this info on some site.... The Z06 calipers are powder coated red but are otherwise equivalent to the standard C5 version. Is there any difference besides the color? I prefer the stealthier look.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 07-03-2007).]

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:
Is there any difference besides the color? I prefer the stealthier look.

Actually....none. Even the XLR Caddy's are the same brakes just a different molded signiture on the front. Using the XLR brakes you'd be truely "stealthier."
BoostedSeries1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostedSeries1Send a Private Message to BoostedSeries1Direct Link to This Post
you can use the 96 up Camaro SS calipers. I am using them up front. I paid $50 a set + shipping on ebay. Same as the C5 but cast different and no corvette logo.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
What brake caliper brackets and mounting hardware are you using in the front? Do you have any pics please! Is there an disadvantage using those front caliper and retaining the stock Fiero in the rear? I'd like to keep the e-brake on my '88.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-17-2007).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete 12 inch corvette set-up for sale that allows you to keep the e-brake. Everything plus the master cylinder. PM me if interested.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

That makes sence. Thanks for the info. For right now I'm going to stick with using the 88 fiero calipers with the 12" rotors. I still want to use the stock GT wheels. Thanks again!

I own page 2! hehe

Are you sure the stock wheels will fit with that?? They wont with my 12 inch Corvette upgrade due to the caliper hitting on the inside rim

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

Are you sure the stock wheels will fit with that?? They wont with my 12 inch Corvette upgrade due to the caliper hitting on the inside rim

Nope. Not sure. But that is the impressions I had a couple months ago. I've decided to eliminate the possible problem and just bump the wheels up to a 16 instead of having to worry about it. I will still try out the 15's just to be sure. I might get lucky since I am using the 88 fiero calipers. This car is getting a bit of everything so its taking forever. Shouldn't be more then a couple more months now though.

------------------
84 SE auto. - a fun original
85 SE V6 4 speed - stock, fully loaded - daily driver, the original fiero sleeper
85 GT 4 speed - build thread
88 Coupe 5 speed - runs and drives, needs work, patiently waiting for its turn.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 10-17-2007).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Here's what i have:

Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Direct Link to This Post
Paul I am guessing you purchased that from Ebay ? or the seller ? I looked at that exact same set on ebay
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
When you saw it, it was probably because it was my auction . I'm trying to get rid of some things I don't need and this brake set-up is one of them. i also have (2) nice fieros for sale; an 88 formula T-top automatic and 86 SE automatic. Anybody interested, please PM me.
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

A couple of people (including me) are using the C5 13" on all fours using the stock Master w/o issues (3 yrs and counting). Howvever, it you feel the need to bump-up to a stronger master...why not? As for the C6 brakes system I don't know if using the stock one will work?
http://www.corvettegarage.c...corvette-brakes.html

With the stock '88 master does the pedal travel farther & engages the brakes closer to the floor?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:
With the stock '88 master does the pedal travel farther & engages the brakes closer to the floor?

Nope. The travel distant is about the same and is really unnoticable. The C5 will catch you by suprised since the crappy stock 88 don't stop the car on a dime, but rather allow the victim to coast into the object your tring to avoid. The C5 will reduce the distant traveled vs. OEM and it is best to practice heavy emergency braking on off-roads. It helps to have sticky wide tires up front vs. the OEM baby tires for max tread patch. During my emergency stopping, the tires didn't lock-up using 255's up front.

Expect everything that isn't bolted down to move forward during emergency stops! I've used #015's C5 brakes several times and the car remain straight during an emergency stop (no back end coming around), but all of the items in the seat shot straight forward.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-22-2008).]

Khaos88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Khaos88GTSend a Private Message to Khaos88GTDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if there is a better master cylinfer and booster that would increase performance as well?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I've read a ton of brake threads on '84-'87 brakes, and all it got me now is more confused.

What exactly are my options? 12", 13" Corvette, or others? I really don't care too much about the Corvette writing on them, especially if I can get a stealthier set for significantly less money.

Also what are the differences on "hub adapters" between different sets? Some are this huge monsterous thing, others just look like a flat disc with 5 bolt holes on them. What's the difference. (again '84-'87)

How big is the difference in braking between stock to 12", to 13", to 14"? Do I need to change the master cylinder as well? How does that affect brake bias? (Do some setups lock up the rear more easily than others? - I heard that's not good. Or at least my logic seems to think so.)

Could somebody please clear up my confusion a bit?
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
I'm well on my way...

BTW, http://www.rotorpros.com/index.htm
They will get you any rotor you want AND drill the new bolt pattern in them for you...

I got my set of 2 12" and 2 13" rotors shipped for $250

-Tim
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

I'm well on my way...

BTW, http://www.rotorpros.com/index.htm
They will get you any rotor you want AND drill the new bolt pattern in them for you...

I got my set of 2 12" and 2 13" rotors shipped for $250

-Tim

That looks gorgeous!!!! Then again I'm a sucker for "stealth" and gunmetal. Both combined are just
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock