Mouse-Proofing?? by F_Formula
Started on: 05-30-2007 09:02 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-27-2008 04:42 PM
F_Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F_FormulaSend a Private Message to F_FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I put my Fiero up every winter for storage and mice get into my interior every winter. Does anyone know how they get in and how to keep them out?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I got mice that came in through the heating system, Still not sure how to keep them out exactly. They ate right through the plastic ducting.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Had some mice in my garage this past winter and tried for the first time GLUE TRAPS. Come in a pack of four. Four Traps and caught four mice. They are very sticky and if you place a lump of peanut butter in the center they would even better.

They are also humane. In that the mouse is captured alive and can be relocated. You simply place some vegtable oil on them and it dissolves the glue.

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
ive heard several things, ive heard that dryer sheets keep them away so ive donee that with success,
the place i store my cars is in an un heated garage that has a concrete floor,
i put dryer sheets on the engine, on the hvac intake, and all over pretty much
some people like moth balls but they stink

ive also bough a big pack of the green scotchbrite scratchy pads, and lay'd them over the hvac intake grate, and other variuous places, such as stuffed in the exhaust, mice suposidly dont like th chew on that stuff
also what ive done is i bought a big blue tarp and let it hang to the floor completley covering the car, then lay'd 2x4's all arround the car on the tarp so that critters cant get in unless they chew thru the tarp, ive never had a problem

try and not use any posion because when they die, chances are theyll do hidden in various not so easy places to get to in your car

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 05-30-2007).]

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
If you can stand the smell that lingers afterward moth balls/packs seem to work also.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've heard dryer sheets work, too. I haven't personally tried it, though.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
I have tried both moth balls and drier sheets. They both work. I place the moth balls in the corners of my garage, so as not to stink up my car, and drier sheets under the seats, in the trunk, and on top of the spare tire. I no longer get mice in my garage, and never had them in the car. The messy little rodents did invade my motorhome once but drier sheets and mothballs on the floor under the motorhome, stopped them ever since. The vehicles don't pickup the mothball smell if you don't put them inside.

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
The siamese next door does a pretty good job of keeping the mouse population under control.

Storing a car, all the above and a bunch of mouse traps with thread wrapped around the trigger and then covered with peanut butter. Mouse crap inside your heating system is a MAJOR pain in the butt.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:
Mouse crap inside your heating system is a MAJOR pain in the butt.

Hear hear, I'm still cleaning it out

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
I know this is kind of an old old thread, but I may have a solution for keeping mice out of your garages/places of storage. I've got a garage and a shed that I store my car and other vehicles in, and to keep the mice out, I put a small stereo or "boombox" (yucky word) and set it to the radio or a CD on repeat and just let it play at a moderately high volume level. I don't think the mice care for the sound cause I haven't had a single mouse problem yet. ...Or maybe my music just sucks.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Mice can get thru a crack no bigger than the thickness of cardboard...(SMALL) Unless you put something inside to deter them, you cant block them out. Ive also heard of dryer sheets and mothballs. I dont store anything, I drive each car at least every few weeks, so dont have the problem at all.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock