Iron Duke Turbo? by Mag
Started on: 05-22-2007 10:10 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: 30+mpg on 04-27-2008 07:59 AM
murrrey

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for murrreySend a Private Message to murrreyDirect Link to This Post
according to the picture, your problem was not the tbi or manifold, it was either timing, poor fuel or both, it is called detonation

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

here is what happened to a 50k mile Indy that I put a holley TB and bigger intake on. it was tuned perfectly and ran like a champ until the image at the top of this thread happened.

IP: Logged
murrrey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for murrreySend a Private Message to murrreyDirect Link to This Post

murrrey

194 posts
Member since Feb 2008
do you know where to get a girdle for a duke?

Originally posted by Fieroracer87:

has any that has considered putting a turbo on a duke thought about putting a girdle and main cap reinforcement on the bottom end to take away some of the stress everyone says is the cause of crank failures?

Fieroracer87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
you would have to send your block and and anything that might hit or obstruct it in anyway with your main caps...WWW.Paeco.com.
NeoTristan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoTristanClick Here to visit NeoTristan's HomePageSend a Private Message to NeoTristanDirect Link to This Post
I say if you can afford to risk losing the engine, go for it! It'd be fun while it lasted. My 84 Duke has all kinds of stuff done to it but is still naturally aspirated and I love the increase!

Bored
Cammed
3 angle valve job
custom exhaust
Hyperutectic Pistons
shaved head
Alum/ Steel timing set
pro springs
Holley TBI on the way

------------------
Tristan
84 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by NeoTristan (edited 04-25-2008).]

Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
im just saying in theory that this might help along with some kind of modified vibration damper.
Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post

Fieroracer87

71 posts
Member since Nov 2007
or even sleeving the block down to like a 2.0L (that would be with custom pistons and rods of course) just so you have so thickness in the walls of the cylinders...
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I theorize that with good crank, rods and pistons, you'd be fine.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This post has been going on for quite a while . Bottom line; the Duke is capable of supporting only so much horsepower, then it self destructs. Nothing wrong with adding a turbo. Just be conservative with boost (4-5 psi), add a larger throttle body and keep the red line at 4800 RPM or below. However, if you are looking for Bonzai performance, you have the wrong engine. Ed Parks of the Fiero Factory owned a turbocharged Duke Fiero a few years back. It had a HiTech/IRM kit. He may have sold it but he might be able to tell you how it ran or what became of it. A few Turbo Dukes are still running but many blew up as the owners expected too much out of the combo.

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
im just saying if someone was willing to spend a nice little penny to make something work....what would it take....i'm not saying it would i just want to get people to possibly brainstorm and come up with possibilities....
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroracer87:

im just saying if someone was willing to spend a nice little penny to make something work....what would it take....i'm not saying it would i just want to get people to possibly brainstorm and come up with possibilities....

The Duke block is light duty, and can't support high horsepower levels no matter how much you spend. It is a good foundation for an economy engine. You can't construct a skyscraper on the foundation of a house and if you try to build a race engine out of the Duke, the project will fail. Its not a matter of money , its a matter of design.
If you are so set on keeping the four then buy a Super Duty Four. That engine is strong and has been built to 270HP. It shares nothing in common with the Duke but it will bolt right in. Neil Kline has exprience with these engines and he can provide much good info on them. He chimes in once in a while so perhaps he will see this thread and conmment.
------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 04-27-2008).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Mag:... - running ~8-10 psi of boost, do u reckon the internals will hold up? ...-Dave

Fo' uh few hours.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay