question about surging and the TPS by Justin_J
Started on: 12-30-2007 08:14 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Justin_J on 12-31-2007 12:32 AM
Justin_J

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
One day I went to start my Fiero and the best I could get was a few sputters and then it would just die. I started doin' a little messin around in the engine bay and finally found something that got it running again. It was the "Throttle Position Sensor", as soon as I unplugged it my little GT started runnin as beautiful as it did before (except for one problem, read below). Does this mean that it was just the TPS, or is there something bigger at play here? computer maybe? i dont know...

Other problem...since I unplugged the TPS I haven't been able to get as smooth an idle as I did before. After a cold start it idles smoothly at about 1800 rpm's, until it starts to warm up, then it tries to slow down the idle (like normal) but instead of idling smooth at lower rpm's, it surges (this is what leads me to believe that it's more than just the TPS). anyone have any answers? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Pull the engine trouble codes and lets see what the ECM is "seeing". Here is the forum link to the trouble codes and how to pull them.

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

Sometimes the TPS will develope a dead spot, if you have a meter you can check for that, watch as you slowly open the throttle, if you see the meter "stall" a bit, bad TPS.

Let us know what you find out, ok?

Justin_J

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
Alright sounds good, have to take it down and get the codes read first. I'll let ya know how it turns out...

Thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock