Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  New clutch pedal tight - bushings/width?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

New clutch pedal tight - bushings/width? by TK
Started on: 12-27-2007 09:13 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: TK on 12-29-2007 12:55 PM
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I installed a new clutch pedal from the Fiero Store and noticed that when I tighten the main bolt down with the two new plastic bushings it's pretty tight and doesn't swing easily. If I loosen the main bolt through the brake and clutch pedal it will loosen up but considering the bolt is smaller than the pivot hole I'm worried that the pedal will twist and bind up. I think I am only supposed to tighten the main nut enough to remove the slop but still allow the pedal to swing free

I was expecting the bolt to be a snug fit to the hole but it sure isn't. The hole through the pedal is huge in comparison.

I left it for tonight. I'm going to pull it out and measure it against the original steel Fiero pedal that was in there. I wonder if the new pedal is wider where the bolt goes through.....

Any one had this problem?

Note: After my trans/engine swap my pedal would engage lower than I thought was correct (trust me, it's bled). I went ahead and ordered a new pedal just so I would have it in case mine was bent. It wasn't, the banjo is bent just enough to lower the pedal. I compared it to a spare I have. I ordered an adjustable banjo from Mr. Dickman. Might as well have it all!

TK
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
megafreakindeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
lube the crap out of the bushing with litium grease. then if the bolt looks like a self locking type(a plastic ring on the inside, or its acutally oval shaped) then just tighten it to where it feels good and has no play and leave it. assuming you arent installing anything wrong. as for the clutch being bled, it still might not be even if you swear it is. ive found the only way is to gravity bleed it and wait a long time, i usually run the whole bottle through it. the pumping method doesnt work to well with these things. also air can get trabbed between the bleed valve and the piston which really dampens performance. it wont bleed out when you do bleed the system either so its really annoying. i havent found a good way of bleeding it out, i just wait a week and crack the valve a bit and the air pops out.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't think more grease will help but I agree that I should tighten until good and leave it. I am still a bit surprised the bolt is so small compared to the pivot tube. Oh well.

As for the bleeding, it's bled. It's done. No air. I went ahead and installed the straight banjo and the pedal came up to slightly above the brake pedal and it engages where I think it should now. A slight bend in the banjo goes a long way!

Thanks!

Terry
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I just did mine yesterday, Terry, and it felt pretty tight at first, too. However, after driving it a few minutes, it seemed to break in and felt very nice. Its a little stiffer than the old one, but it feels much smoother and more solid, where the old one by comparison felt loose and sloppy. I'm attributing the improved feeling to the new bushings and pedal. I'm happy with it.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Ok Scott, I'll give it a chance. It will move when tightened but doesn't swing like it did. I am soooo impatient!

Terry

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
A bushing? What bushing? There isn't a bushing for the pivot bolt. No wonder the hole seems too big.

Well that explains it, I don't have bushing! There wasn't one in there. It certainly didn't fall on my head....

Dang, now to find one. Does anyone have a bushing they can measure for me?

Edit: I looked in the 22P and it's called a spacer. Off to the yards.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 12-29-2007).]

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

TK

10013 posts
Member since Aug 2002
So I'm sitting here when the voices started - "Look behind the carpet Terry, check and it will be there". Female voice, 20-30's with an Irish accent. I'm thinking too much coffee in the 60's but hey, I might as well look.

Doh!

For those that care, the plastic bushing for the 84-87 10035665 is no longer available but the 88 bushing is (which I think is what the Fiero Store is selling us.) 15594358. Black. $1.09 each. The dealers seem to stock these.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 12-29-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock