Turbo Boosting durring the winter months by RotrexFiero
Started on: 12-24-2007 01:24 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 12-24-2007 04:37 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Well, I pulled the turbo out of the Fiero last night, installing egt sensor, and am looking at install the water intercooler next summer. Just thinking do you really need a intercooler in the winter?

With ambient temps hoovering around 30 degrees F, boosting would not significant raise intake temps to a detrimental level. Would they?

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: david88@peoplepc.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
regardless of outside temp the air is still pressurized thus generating heat. the colder the outside air the slower the turbo has to spin to reach that desired boost level though due to increased air desnity. this is where the increase in power is felt for na and turbo cars when its freezing outside.

also not much need for a water intercooler since they weigh alot but if you check out snow performance they have a water/methanol injection system for 300 bucks that will outperform any intercooler setup and require much less plumbing.
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
alcohol injection is a whole other can of worms, though given limited space and the Fiero's mid-engine configuration it is certainly worth consideration.

Mainly, I was just thinking theoretically as I am sure modern boosted engines have all kinds of pre-programmed adjustments for changing environments. My friends turbo subaru has all the provisions and he does not have to worry about a tenth of what I have to worry about.

Of course boosting adds heat to the air, but there is a huge difference between 20 and 80 degrees F. Yes, I feel that difference and durring the summer months, in the evening when it cooled down, I thought I was driving another car.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by megafreakindeth:

regardless of outside temp the air is still pressurized thus generating heat. the colder the outside air the slower the turbo has to spin to reach that desired boost level though due to increased air desnity. this is where the increase in power is felt for na and turbo cars when its freezing outside.

also not much need for a water intercooler since they weigh alot but if you check out snow performance they have a water/methanol injection system for 300 bucks that will outperform any intercooler setup and require much less plumbing.

I have the snow water meth kit for my 3900 install and now that you mention it since I didn't install the intercooler as pictured in the thread due to a plumbing miscalculation I'm going to remove the additional ~8 ft of plumbing that's still in place for a direct feed to the throttle body and install my engine oil cooler where the intercooler was suppose to go and maybe look into a larger reservoir for the injection kit.

Cold weather does not negate the intercooler, the power loss to heat ratio is still the same however the overall power produced at the lower ambient temps will be greater. In other words if you have a 12% loss in potential max power at 7psi without an intercooler at 80 deg ambient temps you will have about the same percent loss at 50 deg ambient temps however you will be moving more air at the lower temps due to the denser air. Add the proper intercooler and it will reduce your power loss by limiting the amount of heat added to the intake charge over the entire boosted range at any temp.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock