Adding a Shift Light by RotrexFiero
Started on: 12-23-2007 11:25 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 12-27-2007 09:00 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2007 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone installed a shift light....talking about the after market ones, minus the tachometer?

I searched and only found one thread, that was rather limited.

I was wondering how they are wired and if they are hard to install.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: david88@peoplepc.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The stock Fiero already has one...
merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
tan and black wire from th ecm needs to be ran to the 203 connecotr. look at the wiring youll see it.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I'd have to ask why? When I have had cars with a shift light, I ignored it and shifted when I needed to, rather than when a light said to. Possibly, if you are learing to drive a manual, a shift light may be an indicator to let you know when to shift, but if you have any driving experience, it is just another idiot light.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Not that kind of shift light....the larger ones used for racing....When you moving rapidly thru the gears, and trying to watch the road, its too hard to monitor the RPM gauge...I am in the process of installing new gauges to monitor boost, egt, a/f, and watching the tach is very hard and I dont want to over rev the engine.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I am in the process of installing new gauges to monitor boost, egt, a/f, and watching the tach is very hard and I dont want to over rev the engine.

Most aftermarket tachs are available with a shift light. I would suggest getting one with it already built in.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone installed a shift light....talking about the after market ones, minus the tachometer?

yes i've put in a couple

they are wired pretty easy, they come with directions.
they have 1 wire that goes to the ignition coil, (i splice in to the wire next to the tach filter)
1 positive and 1 negative wire.
and some will have a 4th wire that you connect to your dash light circuit. so the light will be dimmer while night driving and you dont get blinded.

where you want to install it will make it hard or easy to install.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I dont want another tach, mounted looking crazy on top of the dash. Just wanted a small shift light in view that so I dont have to look down and up all the time. It gets dangerous monitoring RPMs and also the road at the same time, especially under acceleration.

From what you describe sounds like a simple install.

Any recommendations for a decent shift light?
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
in all honesty it seems entirely pointless to me to add a shift light. if you know your car, you won't even need to look at the RPM's to know when to shift
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:
in all honesty it seems entirely pointless to me to add a shift light. if you know your car, you won't even need to look at the RPM's to know when to shift

you have your opinion
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
You are right about knowing your car, but I drive the Fiero as a pleasure car and I make many modifications, including the exhaust, turbo, and boost levels. And so, I cant always tell by the feel or sound the engine is reving at. This is also the reason why many performance drivers use shift lights.

Hey, if you dont need, you dong need it, but at a certain point such things become a necessity. I never thought I would spend the extra money on a brake upgrade, thinking stock would always been fine. Over reving and inadequeate brakes can be problematic.
PFF
System Bot
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Here is one that will work for you. Price is great, it doesn't need any RPM modules.
and its easy to install.

http://store.summitracing.c...ew=1&N=700+%2D108178

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Zoom88, can you tell me exactly what wire you used from the tach...I have a v6 Fiero. I just want to make the installation easy and quickly, not having to search out wires.

Thanks
Happy Holidays
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... This thread gives me an idea. I'm going to look into re-wiring my existing shift light so that it lights if the engine goes over a certain RPM value, and not when the ECM thinks I ought to shift. Perhaps all that is needed is to tap the sine or cosine value going to the tach meter, and use that to trigger an SCR to turn on the light. A potentiometer could be used to adjust the triggering point to the desired RPM value.
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
glowshift makes what your looking for im getting one, here is the link only 30bucks
http://www.glowshiftdirect....=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just finished install 6, yeah 6 of the GlowShift gauges (tinted) and boy they do look great. They appear to function fine, but tomorrow I will fire up the car and test drive it with all the gauges to see if they are accurate. But, hey for the money they look good and work fine. No complaints here....yeah I saw the shift light that GS offers, and I will probably get one.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock