3.4 Swap Questions by Riddick85
Started on: 12-21-2007 04:52 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Formula88 on 12-22-2007 03:48 PM
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
Before I get flamed for starting another thread like this, yes I have looked through archives and current threads but there are a few details I couldn't get.

Anyways, I know there is a difference in the 92 and lower engines, 93-95 and 96 and up but I can't find what it is. What is it and how does it affect the swap?

Also I could not find a wiring write up or even anything that explained it. My understanding is the easiest way is to cut the connector from the front of the car to the computer off and wire it up to the 3.4 computer or is there an easier way?

Can you use the stock exhaust manifolds or should you use both front manifolds like I've read? I have a getrag in my 85 Fiero I am not sure of the clearance issues and im hoping I can use just what is there.

Flywheel, out of a cavalier z24 will work I think? Just got to autozone and buy it? Do I need new throwout or clutch or other things to mate the engine/trans?

Also since I have a manual trans, reprogram ECM? Who can do it?

Like I said I could only find half the story on some parts and I need some help before I go buying things. Thanks any help is appreciated.
edit: 3.4 DOHC not pushrod engine
------------------
85 GT Bone Stock and
85 GT currently with Fastback and Getrag but old pic.

[This message has been edited by Riddick85 (edited 12-21-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
http://www.gmtuners.com/

They can get you started and burn the chip
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Riddick85, you may be better off just starting a new thread with a different title.

When I first saw the title of your thread, "3.4 Swap Questions," I erroneously thought you were talking about the "pushrod" or "OHV" 3.4L engine swap.

Instead, as I see now from your edit at the end of your thread-originating post, you're talking about the 3.4L DOHC engine swap instead:

Originally posted by Riddick85:
edit: 3.4 DOHC not pushrod engine

Accordingly, I suggest using "3.4L DOHC" somewhere in the title of a new thread that you could start. That way, the people who are DOHC 3.4L experts hopefully will see the title of your "DOHC thread" and think, "Hey, maybe I can help this guy out."

Right now, I suspect several 3.4L DOHC experts here on PFF have looked at the title of your thread and quite understandably, even without reading it, simply dismissed your thread as being about another pushrod 3.4L swap --- something to which the 3.4L DOHC experts would have little reason to respond.

I hope my suggestion helps you, Riddick85, but however you decide to handle this 3.4L DOHC-oriented thread of yours, good luck with your project!
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
One difference that I am aware of is that on the engines up to (and including) the 95 year, the front and rear manifolds are interchangeable. This means you can take a front manifold, flip it over and use it on the rear which is useful if you are going to follow the stock Fiero route for the exhaust system.
Also I think on the 96 engine the intake/throttle body is removable whilst on the earlier engines it's cast into the upper plenum. I think that the later engines like the 96 also had better intake porting etc but I never got that far into it.
96 is also ODB II although you can run it with the earlier ECM and ODB 1 or 1.5 based setup. I ran my 95 engine that came from an auto with my issuzu 5 speed manual box and a 91-93 ECM and manual chip (from Darth Fiero) and it was fine. Had to drop a couple of the sensors and switch from MAF to MAP but it worked ok.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
thank you ltlfrari for your help and project, a simple "you should put DOHC in your title, people get the wrong idea" would suffice. no need to make the people you are trying to help feel like an idiot but thank you.

------------------
85 GT Bone Stock and
85 GT currently with Fastback and Getrag but old pic.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
FYI, you can also edit your first post and change the subject of the thread rather than start a new one.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock