Broken Getrag by fffttt1
Started on: 12-04-2007 09:16 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: gt88norm on 12-05-2007 11:52 PM
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
Pulled Getrag to replace broken clutch and found this.

Now what? Is the whole trans "toast"? Can the bellhousing be repaired/replaced? Anybody got one? Anyone in Fort Worth,TX. area want to trade a 4T60 auto setup for an other wise good Getrag w/new Clutchnet pressure plate/disc?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Find a good welder in your Town that can Heli-arc weld aluminum.
BoostedSeries1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostedSeries1Send a Private Message to BoostedSeries1Direct Link to This Post
You can take that to a local welding shop and have them weld it right up. I would do it for ya but my aluminum TIG skills are not really up to par. I will soon have a "parts"getrag that may have a good bell housing. If it is, I could sell it to ya for a steal.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Like Tim said have a shop weld it back up for you. Or you couls run it like it is, I dont see what it would hurt being its jsut going back on a 2.8.
BoostedSeries1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostedSeries1Send a Private Message to BoostedSeries1Direct Link to This Post
OH... it going on a 2.8... man you could just use some J.B. weld on that thing and just slap it back in, you have 2 sheer pins and like 4 other bolts holding that thing on. : D
----------------
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That's one of the dowel pin locations that broke.

It will need to be bolted to an engine when welded in order to be located properly.

Unless you've got money in that transmission, just go to www.car-parts.com and get another one.
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
Found a good aluminum TIG welder in town; trans is there now; hope to get it back today late - tomorrow early; still gonna look for a good 4T60; anyone??
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone ever seen this stuff?
http://durafix.com/

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 12-05-2007).]

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
ive had a automatic and a getrag welded in the exact same spot, dont worry about bolting it back to a engine block just to get the welding done, if the welder is GOOD and the broke piece fits right back into place kinda like a puzzle piece, just get it done, it will work fine.

matthew
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That's a dowel pin location. It has a tolerance on the order of +/-.001. Don't chance it.
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Has anyone ever seen this stuff?
http://durafix.com/

I used to have an old J.C. Higgins tent trailor (had no tent) for hauling my camping stuff, the whole trailer weighed like 150 lbs.
The guy I got it from used it to haul racing bicycles and as a support trailer in 'centurys'.
Any way it had like 50 1/2" holes drilled in the top where all the bike racks and such were mounted, I used that stuff to plug the holes.
Clean the area w/non ferrous (brass?) metal brush, melt a puddle of the rod next to the hole swipe the puddle across the hole with the rod, sealed tighter than a drum.
It can also be used to build-up and reshape the leading edge of aluminum boat propellers, tough stuff. Llke a cross between brazing and soldering, low temp.

Norm
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock