GLASS SAIL PANELS HELP,,QUICK by 86blackse
Started on: 11-21-2007 12:47 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Phil on 11-23-2007 07:34 PM
86blackse

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86blackseSend a Private Message to 86blackseDirect Link to This Post
i got my glass sail panels off my 84 notch back and im trying to repaint the inside of the panels to get rid of the white milky looking stuff, what can i use to spray on them to get the factory black paint off the inside of the glass???? i've tried carb. cleaner,steal wool,lighter fluid, and everything else i got here at the house and nothing if tried has fazed it...any suggestions???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Aircraft stripper...

I am unsure if that will harm the PVC Surround or not.

Aircraft stripper and a nylon brush to avoid scratching the glass.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand from my autoglass guy - you cant get it off
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If it's some kind of paint, then methylene chloride-type paint strippers will remove the coating. However, it will also eat the rubber surround, so use it carefully. It may be a conversion process on the surface of the glass, in which case you're out of luck.

JazzMan
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
My other hobby is model trains. When I need to strip a plastic rail car of its paint, I use brake fluid. I just let it soak for a day, then I wash the bubbled up paint off. All of the layers of paint come off and It does not harm the plastic rail car at all. Try it!, Just put a small dab on the glass and let it sit, then see what happens. Just make sure to clean the glass real good before you paint or you could get fish eye in the paint job.

Don Z.

86blackse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86blackseSend a Private Message to 86blackseDirect Link to This Post
i've seen many sets repainted so i know theirs a way to repaint them... the aircraft stripper should remove the factory paint, i'll go get a can and try it,,,any suggestion on the paint i should use to repaint with?? how about bar-ba-que grill paint? its high heat paint and the sails get really hot in the summer months..
86blackse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86blackseSend a Private Message to 86blackseDirect Link to This Post
hhhmmmm, the aircraft stripper did'nt work either.. anyone ever repainted their glass sail panels???
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86blackse:

hhhmmmm, the aircraft stripper did'nt work either.. anyone ever repainted their glass sail panels???

Inquiring minds want to know

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock