Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Cant pop decklid unless car is shut off.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cant pop decklid unless car is shut off. by kawana
Started on: 11-19-2007 10:10 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Wht&BluGT on 11-24-2007 09:54 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
I cant pop the decklid unless the car is off, the key cant even be in turned so i can have the radio on, it has to be completely off. Whats up with that? Its kind of annoying.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
The lid won't open until the engine is off or the hand brake applied while engine running
That is for security reason so you don't open it while driving
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok so its nothing wrong with my wiring then? Ok thanks, good to know.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not, it was actually built like that on purpose.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok thats good then, its just anoying when i go to pick my sister up from school and i have to shut the car off just so she can put her backpack in the trunk lol :P Atleast nothings wrong then :P
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Just pull the hand brake a little and push the button it will open .
That is if it's in working condition -
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
If it is an auto trans putting it in "park" or "neutral" will also allow it to work.
If the car was originally an auto and converted to a manual then the clutch pedal needs to be pushed in.
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
mine works all the time......

of course my E-brake doesn't work and the "BRAKE" light is always lit up
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

I cant pop the decklid unless the car is off, the key cant even be in turned so i can have the radio on, it has to be completely off. Whats up with that? Its kind of annoying.

My 84 is just the opposite, the trunk won't pop unless the key is in the ignition and turned to "ON". I like that better, makes it harder for someone to steal out of the trunk.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

My 84 is just the opposite, the trunk won't pop unless the key is in the ignition and turned to "ON". I like that better, makes it harder for someone to steal out of the trunk.

Yes, the 84's were wired different, and I do like it better that way. I looked at an 86 for sale on the side of the road once, and it was unlocked, so I popped the trunk to look at the engine, and saw a bunch of stuff in the trunk, and thought, "Wow anybody could just walk off with this stuff" where with the 84 it's sealed tight unless you have the key.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

If it is an auto trans putting it in "park" or "neutral" will also allow it to work.

The way you described that is exactly how the remote trunk release on my `86 automatic has always worked.

PFF
System Bot
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I think they changed it so that the trunk couldn't accidentally be opened while driving.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86:

I think they changed it so that the trunk couldn't accidentally be opened while driving.

I could understand why GM might make that change, especially in the litigious U.S. Suppose, for example:
  1. At speed, the remote decklid release switch is depressed accidentally.
  2. Decklid opens slightly.
  3. Driver panics and brakes hard.
  4. Decklid then flies open hard.
  5. Bad things happen.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If I'm not mistaken the handbrake still has to be on for the 84 decklid to open so problem solved. And I fail to see how a decklid opening at speed will be an issue? The airflow will prevent it from opening while the car is in motion.
NewGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewGTSend a Private Message to NewGTDirect Link to This Post
Considering the weight of the deck lid, particularly with a spoiler on it, the sudden deceleration of the car in combination with the lift mechanism might overcome forward air pressure allowing the deck lid to pivot forward at high speed and snap it into the rear window area of the car. If it hit hard enough, it could do some serious damage, even break off and fly over the roof.

I often thought the deck lid could act as an air brake to slow the car quicker, but its not something I would want to try myself.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NewGT:

might overcome forward air pressure allowing the deck lid to pivot forward at high speed and snap it into the rear window area of the car. If it hit hard enough, it could do some serious damage, even break off and fly over the roof.

It might, and then again it might not. I'm willing to give it a try and pop my deck lid during a panic stop just to see what will happen.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
not sure if there is truth to it, or just worn ign locks,... but on cars with out power trunk pop, and on some with it... with the car running the key will pull out of the ign beleived to be able to walk arrounf and unlock the trunk

true... or worn ign cyl's?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

true... or worn ign cyl's?

I think it's an urban legend that it was designed that way. I belive it's worn ignition cylinders
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Im going to take a stab in the dark and say that none of you have ever rode in the trunk of a Fiero while the car is driving Not that I reccomend doing this, but with the lid only open a little, it is REALLY hard to fight the wind even at 15MPH. Don't ask me how I know this... So I'm going to Vote for the "Nothing bad can happen when the decklid is open when you are driving forward".

I think its time for a story, a likley situation for some.
Ptcture this, you have an 84 Manual Fiero, You stop your car with the engine running (In neutral obviously) and pop the trunk to get something out of it. The car starts rolling away as soon as you step out, and you chase it down the road till it hits a tree.

Now you take your new 88 Manual Fiero that you just bought to replace your 84 that rolled into the tree, and you stop your car with the engine running (again, in neutral) and you hit the trunk popper and nothing... then you remember that you have to pull the E-brake to pop the trunk. Then you get out, and the car stays still this time, while you fetch your favorite "members only" jacket from the trunk.

I think you see where I am going with this. They had to make the car a little more "stupid proof".
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

The lid won't open until the engine is off or the hand brake applied while engine running
That is for security reason so you don't open it while driving

Neither of my 87GT's work that way. I can pop them in any combination.

Wish they didn't let you open while moving, its silly for it to be 'active' driving down the road.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by NewGT:

Considering the weight of the deck lid, particularly with a spoiler on it, the sudden deceleration of the car in combination with the lift mechanism might overcome forward air pressure allowing the deck lid to pivot forward at high speed and snap it into the rear window area of the car. If it hit hard enough, it could do some serious damage, even break off and fly over the roof.

I often thought the deck lid could act as an air brake to slow the car quicker, but its not something I would want to try myself.

I also wont try it, but i would imagine that if it came up hard enough to break the hinges/retaining straps i bet it would just hit the roof and break the lid at the mid point and not come thru the back window. Or break the bolts out of the deck-lid and it would flip over the car..
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

I think you see where I am going with this. They had to make the car a little more "stupid proof".

It seems to me that you only have to wire it through the handbrake to elliminate all problems. That's how I intend to rewire mine, but with ignition on only.
Wht&BluGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wht&BluGTSend a Private Message to Wht&BluGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

Ok thats good then, its just anoying when i go to pick my sister up from school and i have to shut the car off just so she can put her backpack in the trunk lol :P Atleast nothings wrong then :P

I used to just make my sister put all her crap at her feet or in her lap.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock