engine bearings (help) by spanky123
Started on: 11-19-2007 06:17 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: JazzMan on 11-20-2007 08:48 AM
spanky123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spanky123Send a Private Message to spanky123Direct Link to This Post
Is it possible to change the main bearings in a 4 cyl. with the engine in place?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sc2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sc2m6Send a Private Message to sc2m6Direct Link to This Post
SURE BUT Y?
spanky123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spanky123Send a Private Message to spanky123Direct Link to This Post
Im broke and unemployed...
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2007 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If the mains are bad then chances are really, really good that the rods are bad, the timing gear is worn out, and the cylinders are worn out. The mains are usually the last thing to go unless the engine is run empty of oil, then everything is trashed.

What is making you think you need to replace your mains?

JazzMan
spanky123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spanky123Send a Private Message to spanky123Direct Link to This Post
On the way home it overheated bad and it was low on oil. Its making alot of noise and its leaking oil like mad from the oil seal.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Sory but can you say Junk
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
for Temporary transport ,,add S T P to thicken oil,this will also slow leak ..you probably need 2 bottles...not sure how bad the noise is but if it sounds like some part will soon exit the craft(knocking,clanging)park it ..of course if you need transport you will probably drive it untill the rod attemps its personal moon launch.. STP provides a cushion between the worn parts to quiet the noise untill the countdown & noisy launch..I can not hear noise level ,only you can make decision to drive and finish off the engine

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 11-20-2007).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
If parts are soon to be exiting and your still driving, PLEASE get a fire extinguisher and carry it on the passenger floor. I hope you don't have to thank me later
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If it's making a banging or knocking noise then the rod bearings are gone. They can be replaced in the car but it's very, very difficult because you have to lift the motor to get the mount off so that you can get the pan off. Plan on spending a full weekend under the car. Even though you can replace the rod bearings, the crank is likely damaged, especially if you've been driving it with the noise. Because of that, the bearings won't last, and even then, because of the severe overheat it's extremely likely that the cylinder head is cracked and if it isn't already leaking coolant into the cylinders and oil it will soon be.

Sorry to say, but your best bet is to start looking for a replacement, either car or motor, because your existing motor is pretty much at the end of its useful life.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock