Please help w/ V6 water pump by sumerset64
Started on: 11-16-2007 05:52 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 11-16-2007 09:16 PM
sumerset64

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sumerset64Send a Private Message to sumerset64Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to say that the water pump on my stock '87 GT V6, 69,000 mi. has begun to drip. Sometimes not at all, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Been under the car, wiped everything off, and searched fior the leak .I believe it is the weep hole on the pump. Tomorrow I plan to change the pump. I know this has been covered on the Forum. I have searched, but not found a step by step. Anyone have any "helpful hints" on how to get the job done.

Posted a CAT and O2 sensor question a few days ago. Got several helpful responses. Changed both and the car runs absolutely great. The down side, as soon as I got done with the CAT I got a water leak.

Thanks All !!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post
I changed the WP on my '86 GT a few months ago. A few tips...

- Remove the battery to make a little more room.
- Loosen bolts on WP pulley before removing the belt.
- If you can do it, remove the old pump on Day #1 and install the new pump on Day #2 - much easier on the back!
- my pump used standard (metric) hex head bolts, not Torx, so bolt removal and install was no problem. You may not be so lucky.
- Get a pump with a steel impeller. Advance sells them for cheap.
- Keep track of where the bolts came from. If I recall, all the small ones are the same but the big ones are different lengths.
- Some bolts enter the water jacket. Make sure to use sealer on the threads.
- Do a search and read other posts on this topic. There are some good ones with pictures.

I did 99% of the work from the top. Other than cleaning the old gasket surface, which took hours, this job was fairly straightforward.
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
The two larger long bolts on each side are the ones that go into the water jack, like said, be sure and put sealer on them.

Watch you don't overtighten the top middle bolt that has no metal behind it. You will break the water pump if over tightened.

If your having trouble from above, remove the wheel and the splash shield in the wheel well and you can do some of the work from below a lot easier.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock