3900 or 3500 swap which should I do? by Madess
Started on: 11-15-2007 03:16 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: merlot566jka on 11-23-2007 06:39 PM
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
ok, it looks like someone has already done a 3500 swap and it is running.

Has anyone finished a 3900 swap yet? Is it a proven that you can block the vvt function and have the motor run.

Also I assuming that simply because of size the 3900 has more potential, I have read that the intake flows better as well. can the 3900 intake be ported?

thank you for any advice.

Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madess:

ok, it looks like someone has already done a 3500 swap and it is running.

Has anyone finished a 3900 swap yet? Is it a proven that you can block the vvt function and have the motor run.

Also I assuming that simply because of size the 3900 has more potential, I have read that the intake flows better as well. can the 3900 intake be ported?

thank you for any advice.

Matt

The 3500 swap is pretty much a run of the mill front wheel drive engine swap and has been installed in place of a few earlier fwd engines in fwd cars on ther sites. The answer in general to all of your questions is yes, however the ports on the 3900 are so large in stock form I'm not sure anything more than polishing the ports and gasket matching if it needs it will be necessary. So far GM has pepped it up as high 270hp in an HO example at SEMA.

The 3500 based on the 3900 block does not come with the variable intake design but they should be interchangeable. I ditched the 3500 swap in favor of the 3900. I had to trim the trunk a little but that may have had more to do with the version of the 3900 exhaust system I used and the positioning requirements to clear the 6 spd tranny.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084972.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/080440.html

Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
i didnt notice the name at the top of the post, are you the one that did that freakish twin turbo install? that is sweet, I hope to see it in person sometime.

actually, a good goal is that 270 hp normally aspirated. is that rw or flywheel? I would like that and a five speed tranny, I would be happy as a clam, until I am cracked out on more speed, then I will have to upgrade again.

So how do i get there? Port and polish the heads, what else do I need on my shopping list?

I am fine with cutting the trunk, I have already modded it this much.

[This message has been edited by Madess (edited 11-16-2007).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
The usual process to increasing engine performance, camshaft, cylinder head and exhaust upgrading. That's all GM did, stock power references are usually at the crank.
Madess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
does it matter which car I get the 3900 out of?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madess:

does it matter which car I get the 3900 out of?

Yes, because of the added complexity of special lifters for at least half the cylinders you will want to avoid the engine with active fuel management options to disable half of the cylinders, not because it may pose a problem with running the engine with it disabled but because GM has only made it available in two vehicles that I'm aware of ; Impala and Monte Carlo suggesting it is still in experimental mode. The VVT and variable intake is enough to stay on top of. If by chance you intend to take on the arduous task of using its stock computer and necessary components then of course it doesn't matter.
JTUOIT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JTUOITSend a Private Message to JTUOITDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

Yes, because of the added complexity of special lifters for at least half the cylinders you will want to avoid the engine with active fuel management options to disable half of the cylinders, not because it may pose a problem with running the engine with it disabled but because GM has only made it available in two vehicles that I'm aware of ; Impala and Monte Carlo suggesting it is still in experimental mode. The VVT and variable intake is enough to stay on top of. If by chance you intend to take on the arduous task of using its stock computer and necessary components then of course it doesn't matter.

Look for a motor from the G6's, minivans, Malibu SS/LTZ's, and the first model year of the current Impala or 06 Monte Carlo (07 and from now on, every 3900 that leaves our factory is E85/VVT/AFM equipped, and AFM/E85 is optional on the vans) as they only have VVT on the 3900. Early versions of the 3500 (initial runs of the minivans, G6, and Malibu) are non-vvt... 3500's in the Impala, Malibu, G6, Aura, Monte Carlo, and the vans all have VVT and some are E85, but not AFM.

[This message has been edited by JTUOIT (edited 11-23-2007).]

merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
whose got the running 3500 swap? i was thinking i was the first to embark on it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock