Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  how much should a tuneup cost minus cap and rotor?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

how much should a tuneup cost minus cap and rotor? by shermdizzle
Started on: 11-14-2007 12:57 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: ICouldaBeenAV8 on 11-17-2007 02:11 PM
shermdizzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shermdizzleClick Here to visit shermdizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to shermdizzleDirect Link to This Post
how much should a tuneup cost minus a cap and rotor? i just got the cap and rotor replaced, and i just got quoted 350 for just wires and spark plugs

any one know?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
Spark plugs are $2.00-$5.00 each depending on brand. Wires are $20.00-$40.00 for a set. It is a fairly easy job to do yourself.$350.00 to me seems like you are getting hosed, I would call around for other quotes if you can not do it youself. Is it a 4 or 6 cyl?
shermdizzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shermdizzleClick Here to visit shermdizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to shermdizzleDirect Link to This Post
its a 6....and i would do it myself, but don't you have to set the plugs to fire at a certain sequence? i don't know how to do that
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Just do the wires one wire at a time, so you can't screw it up. The quote is probably so hight because they know what a PITA it is to get at those back 3 plugs. Most people here reccommend taking the decklid off to get at them. Now if it was a duke you'd be getting completely hosed, $50 in parts and half an hour's work.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
With a wobble extension for the ratchet wrench, getting at the firewall-side spark plugs isn't hard.

That said, the shop is probably charging you about $275-300 for labor, to install about $50-75 worth of parts. Since you've already replaced the distro cap and rotor, basically all you have left is the fuel/air filters, spark plugs, and plug wires. It might be a good idea to check the timing, too. For what the shop wants to charge you, you could buy the parts and all the tools needed to do the work, and still have money left over. This is assuming you're competent enough not to screw anything up.
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Fuel Filter
Oil
Oil Filter
SES Sytems and Functionality Check
Tire Rotation
Injector Cleaning with IAC valve and port cleaning
TPS Adjustment ( "idle" screws are ALWAYS tampered with on these cars )
Topping off coolant
Testing Battery

...thats what I always considered a tune up, off the top of my head

edit: ...duh - forgot about checking the timing

------------------
Recanizin' Flat-Buns Since 2001

Eric Nelson
Internet Sales Manager
Power Ford Valencia
nelsone@autonation.com

[This message has been edited by Chicken McNizzle (edited 11-14-2007).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle:

Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Fuel Filter
Oil
Oil Filter
SES Sytems and Functionality Check
Tire Rotation
Injector Cleaning with IAC valve and port cleaning
TPS Adjustment ( "idle" screws are ALWAYS tampered with on these cars )
Topping off coolant
Testing Battery

...thats what I always considered a tune up, off the top of my head

edit: ...duh - forgot about checking the timing

Yep, my cars always run better, after rotating the tires, and checking the battery!!....

Kevin
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:
Yep, my cars always run better, after rotating the tires, and checking the battery!!....

Kevin

Hey .... the butt dyno don't lie
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
don't forget the piston return springs, relative bearing grease, and halogen fluid

All kidding aside I highly recommend going through the IAC motor and idle passages, then confirm the TPS is reading .45mv at idle - this was among the many services I performed while doing a tune-up

------------------
Recanizin' Flat-Buns Since 2001

Eric Nelson
Internet Sales Manager
Power Ford Valencia
nelsone@autonation.com

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shermdizzle:

its a 6....and i would do it myself, but don't you have to set the plugs to fire at a certain sequence? i don't know how to do that

yes, the firing order. luckily - our V6's have a great firing order: 1-2-3-4-5-6 easy, eh?
there is a pic somehwre - posted many times, showing which cyl is #1
and, then, you just need to remember which post is #1 on the distributer.

jump in there - do it.
any car over 10 years old is not good if you dont wrench. unless, of course, you gots the $$$ to pay $60+ an hour for someone to do it for ya....
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
PCV valve
PFF
System Bot
William Federle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
I do a tuneup on my car once a year. I put the cheapest wires and plugs on that they have in Autozone. Also I put on a new cap and rotor. I've never failed an emission inspection yet (for about 6 years). I usually spend about $40.00 for parts. Auto dealers used to charge about $80.00/hour for labor. It takes me about 3 hours but I'm not a mechanic and I don't do this every day. My car is a 1984 Fiero with a duke. I think $350.00 is a little steep, but then it's got two more cylinders than mine, so the parts might be more and the time for the 2 extra plugs would be higher.

[This message has been edited by William Federle (edited 11-15-2007).]

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
Someday, when I drop my cradle, I'm gonna' find a bonanza of lost sockets and extensions that have fallen into the black hole that exists on the backside of the 2.8. They fall in and don't fall on the ground. Where do they go? $350 almost sounds like a bargain.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock