Started on: 11-14-2007 07:36 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: PineyCreek on 11-15-2007 01:09 AM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I'm installing an '88 alternator on my '87 GT. I think I can figure out how to rewire the new pigtail, but I've got a couple of other questions. I got the new alternator in last night, even though the pulley was right, the fan was different. Should I swap the old fan over? Which is the better between '87 & '88? I also noticed that the heat shield from the '87 won't fit the '88. Is it safe to have the alternator without the heat shield? Or is there a different way to mount it up? Have to return the one I picked up last night though. The boss where the adjustment bolt threads into isn't threaded. So I'll have to find another one.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I can't remember if I changed the fan on mine or not. (I'd have to look) On the heat shield I moved it over to the new Alt. for protection.
I just used a short straight piece of metal that I bolted the shield to, to offset to one of the Alt bolts so it basically was mounted in the same position like on the old alt. Just used a strip of 1/8 stock about a 1/2" or so wide and about 3 1/2" long.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-14-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
You think you could do a sketch of how you remounted the heat shield? Not quite sure I'm following what you did exactly.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I used the fan that came on the new alternator. It's supposed to be the improved design......
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
It kinda looks like it might push a little more air than the one from the '87. Hudini, did you put the heat shield back on too? Howdjya do it?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Hope this helps. Your just offsetting to another bolt on the alt. but keeping the shield in as same position on the Alt.

You mount the strap to an existing bolt on the Alt. with the 3/8 bolt in place and then put the shield on and nut it.

You will have to figure out the distance between the holes on the strap, was not to far as I remember. Maybe 1.5" or something like that.

It all fit under the shield so all you see different in the 2 nuts on the outside.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-14-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Cool. That's what I was thinking you meant, but I didn't wanna screw it up. I'm good at that. Just thought of something though. If the fan pushes the air through the alternator from front-to-back and the air tube pushes the air through from back-to-front, wouldn't that kind of create dead air somewhere?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-14-2007).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
The tube does not push any air thru the Alt. it mostly just puts cooler air in the general area of the Alt. and maybe pushes some of the hot air from the exhaust pipe away.

At least that is the way I look at it.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Just kinda wondered. Hadn't really studied it in-depth or anything.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Is there any particular reason to get a higher amperage alternator for the Fiero? For standard use I mean. I've noticed drops in power, engine losing major revs when the headlight motors are running for example. I was chalking it up to either bad wiring or voltage regulator in the alternator.

------------------
1986 SE V6, stock, auto, fastback. GT Trim and Body panels.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock