84 headlight help by Sharde26
Started on: 11-08-2007 01:36 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: ly41181 on 12-08-2007 12:34 AM
Sharde26

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sharde26Send a Private Message to Sharde26Direct Link to This Post
Well,
I got my 84 se about a month ago. Since then, I have been stuck on my headlights. I followed the advice and received some help from a few people on this board, but I still have a problem. Where before my passenger side headlight refused to rise, now it refuses to rise or lower.

I cleaned the limit switch in the headlight motor and I replaced one of the wiring harnesses attached to the headlight relay. I even swapped relays between the driver's side and passenger side headlight to see if that was the problem. No.

While I was cleaning the limit switch, one of the metal brushes fell off. I reattached the thing with automotive super glue. I wonder if that is the problem. Other than that, I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first car and I'm starting to feel like a failure already.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Superglue isnt conductive...
Sharde26

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sharde26Send a Private Message to Sharde26Direct Link to This Post
Yeah..........that's what I was afraid of. Any suggestions on what to use or how to fix this situation?
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
buddycraigg should be around sometime to tell you what to do. I dont suppose that solder will wick to it?
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharde26:
I reattached the thing with automotive super glue.

like ap2k said, superglue is not conductive.
and i've not had any success trying to solder them back on.

post a thread in mall looking for one.
i'm sorry but i can't give those away, they are becoming as rare as a good plastic gear

Sharde26

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sharde26Send a Private Message to Sharde26Direct Link to This Post
I tried solder, I found it...difficult to work with. I'm browsing right now for some electrically conductive adhesive. I've seen a few, I just hope I can find them in a store somewhere.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
actually, if the brush fell off of this side i can probably spare one of these.
Sharde26

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sharde26Send a Private Message to Sharde26Direct Link to This Post
I found some electrically conductive adhesive in town, I'm gonna try that tomorrow morning before I do anything else.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharde26:

I found some electrically conductive adhesive in town, I'm gonna try that tomorrow morning before I do anything else.

cool. let me know if it works, cause i've got a few sets that i could "glue" the brush back on
Sharde26

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sharde26Send a Private Message to Sharde26Direct Link to This Post
Will do!
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Care to share the brand with us? Sounds like some pretty useful stuff.
PFF
System Bot
Sharde26

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sharde26Send a Private Message to Sharde26Direct Link to This Post
Okay, I tried the adhesive last night and let it set over night. I hooked up my headlights this morning and they actually worked! Problem solved! Thank you to all for you help in this.

Oh and the brand was: Caig Labs inc. Circuit Writer.

It was around 6 dollars for a 5 gram pen of this stuff. It is technically used for writing circuit board lines, but the box said it had automotive applications and adhesive properties. I'll stand up as a testimony that it works. I found it in the adhesive section at Radioshack. A shot in the dark that hit dead on.

Later.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
very cool.
now the question is how long it holds up.
but you can bet you butt i'm gonna test it pretty soon.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2007 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
damn it...
my radio shack said that it has been discontinued and they don't have a substitute

EDIT: i have to return some brake pads because i found a lot of suspension parts worn on a customers car and they have decided to sell it.
while i'm there i'll pick up one of those rear window defroster repair kits and try that out.

but keep in mind that stuff has a certain amount of resistance built in to it. it's supposed to be like that so it will heat up.

the first place i'm going to try it is where the cold solder happens where the circuit breaker connects.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 12-07-2007).]

ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

damn it...
my radio shack said that it has been discontinued and they don't have a substitute

EDIT: i have to return some brake pads because i found a lot of suspension parts worn on a customers car and they have decided to sell it.
while i'm there i'll pick up one of those rear window defroster repair kits and try that out.

but keep in mind that stuff has a certain amount of resistance built in to it. it's supposed to be like that so it will heat up.

the first place i'm going to try it is where the cold solder happens where the circuit breaker connects.

You can still buy it from the company for $16.95

Here is whats in the pen:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl;...r0?sc=2&category=174

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock