Started on: 11-02-2007 06:24 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: blackrams on 11-03-2007 03:36 AM
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
This winter I am storing my Fiero up at my grandmothers house in Dayton because last year a tree fell in front, behind, and to the side of my car. It was almost hit by several snow plow trucks. It froze to the ground for a week. etc etc etc. I come up here to visit her and to wipe the leaves off my car while I wait for the cover to come in. The past two weekends I've been here my trunk was full of water. The inside of the trunklid was covered in droplets of water, and the carpet was damp. Last weekend I had tools, speakers, owners manuals, etc in the trunk and they all molded and rusted. I cleaned the trunk out and dried it out. This weekend same thing except this time I had no objects in the trunk. My trunk rubber looks fine but it is cracked on the inside lip but the outside is still in tact. So two things, what is the real fix (re-call trunk rubber?) and what is the fix I can do in the next 2 hours before I drive home in my other car so the fiero doesn't fill back up with water. Thanks, I need the temporary fix ASAP!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
As long as one side of the trunk rubber is intact it should be fine, considering most of the time its on the engine side where water couldnt get it when its just sitting there. If it has a spoiler check the gaskets and screws, also if its a GT check the trunk "D" square off plates. Those plates are made to catch the water and divert it and sometimes they crack just diverting the water into the trunk.

The re-call trunk rubber didnt keep water away from the trunk area it kept it away from the front exhaust manifold.

Jason
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Why not throw a tarp over it?

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Tarp.... unh maybe, but I think its condensation, not rain. I will go look for a tarp, yes its a 1988 GT Fastback, so what are the D plates you are talking about.
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
On the right and left side of the trunk they put in plastic plates to square off the trunk on the fastback model. If you pull back the rubber you will see what im talking about. Check to see if they have any cracks in them.

Jason
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Okay the 4 corners and the short sides of my trunk rubber were glued down. But the long sections were not and easily slipped off. There was water of the lip the trunk rubber clips onto, so I dried it off, and put down some glue that should expand a tiny bit. I also armor alled the rest of the rubber so it stays nice and juicy. Can't find a tarp right now but I am looking.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I'm betting the spoiler bolts that go through the decklid are leaking. I've been wrong before but, that was when I thought I had made a mistake.

------------------
Ron

Never, never do anything or wear things that you don't want to have to explain to Paramedics, it can get very embarrassing. They talk!

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-02-2007).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
yep you're wrong yet again
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

sorry ron I had to. Well I used paper towels dried the trunk and much as I could, dried the inside of the trunk, re-glued the trunk rubber, armor alled it, and put a tarp over the back of the car. It pitch black here so I guess I am done for this weekend. Any other reasons it might leak, also how much is a good condition trunk rubber? Its like $75 new isn't it? anyone got a good cheap used one if my gluing didn't fix it?
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
My 88 trunk collects water when sitting outside in the rain. The water gets in on the passenger side of the trunk. I never located how it gets in. I kept the car covered with a car cover and a tarp when I used to keep it over the winter when I lived in upstate NY. My trunk gasket is in good shape, the bolts that hold the spoiler are not corroded, there is however a gap between the passenger trunk side and the rear quarter panel. The water collects on the bottom of the trunk, and the sides of the carpet remain dry. The car stays inside now.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

yep you're wrong yet again
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

sorry ron I had to. Well I used paper towels dried the trunk and much as I could, dried the inside of the trunk, re-glued the trunk rubber, armor alled it, and put a tarp over the back of the car. It pitch black here so I guess I am done for this weekend. Any other reasons it might leak, also how much is a good condition trunk rubber? Its like $75 new isn't it? anyone got a good cheap used one if my gluing didn't fix it?

What can I say, I know, I didn't have all the facts.
But, that's where it's gonna leak after you install the wing.
------------------
Ron

Never, never do anything or wear things that you don't want to have to explain to Paramedics, it can get very embarrassing. They talk!

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-03-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock