3.8 engine swap by bumble bee
Started on: 11-01-2007 09:58 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 11-01-2007 06:48 PM
bumble bee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bumble beeSend a Private Message to bumble beeDirect Link to This Post
First off hello to all. i am new to the whole fiero/ forum deal. i just purchased a 1986 1/2 fiero gt with the 2.8 v6. this thing doesn't have any rust or dents. i am looking to put a bigger power plant in but was wondering which would be the best. i was thinking the 3.8 series II with s/c. but i need to know how much cutting off the frame there would be because i am not so good at cutting or wilding. also i was wondering if i needed to upgrade any of the other components if i get a bigger engine or if the stock items would all still work?
any comments and hints would be most helpful. thanks o much .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum.The 3.8 SC series II is a good choice,you'll have speed and fuel economey,a V8 Corvett motor will allso fit,but how often do you see a Corvett at the wrecking yard?A Cadliac North Star will allso fit.You'll have to sacrifice some of your MPG,(gas economey) for a v8.If it's an automatic,then no cutting of the frame is needed,but Im prety sure the manuel version needs the frame cut and welded.You can have any welding shop do that,when you pull the motor.Just make sure you get the correct 3800,some motors have a smaller super charger.
Wait for pics to load(not mine).

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
To directly answer you question, the 3800 is by far the easiest engine swap out there (although the 3.4 TDC is about the same, but not quite as robust a motor as the 3800).

To put a 3800 in a fiero, you most likely will be doing a transmission upgrade, as no fiero transmission will handle the 3800 power and torque. With most 3800 swaps, limited welding is required, but their are ways around it. The welding required is also very simple and easy.

My signature will serve as a good starting point for your research. Feel free to make posts regarding specific questions, but we urge you to look around a bit before you do.

------------------
Losing site of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
To put a 3800 in a fiero, you most likely will be doing a transmission upgrade, as no fiero transmission will handle the 3800 power and torque. ...

Not a completely correct statement. Many people are running 300+ HP through a fiero 5 speed tranny. I know of 2 that have over 400HP on V8 engines through the 5 speed getrag and it holds up fine.

many CHOOSE to change trannies at that time as it's the easiest time to do so. and if you plan on driving it very hard then changing to a stronger tranny is a good idea.

Now if you are building a race car for drag racing, you need a 4t65HD hands down.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 11-01-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
For every person that gets away with a fiero manual, there are 2 people that break a few a year.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

Not a completely correct statement. Many people are running 300+ HP through a fiero 5 speed tranny. I know of 2 that have over 400HP on V8 engines through the 5 speed getrag and it holds up fine.

But do they/can they push there motor to its limits and still not break anything? And are they really pushing that much HP or is that just a guess with no real dyno numbers to back it up? You put a stock 5 speed Fiero trans on an LSX motor that is stock, push the motor to its limits and you can get ready to swap in another 5 speed. If you want a trans that can handle a motor swap with some HP then you should lok at using a 65E or the 6 speed/5 speed from the EcoTech.

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bumble bee:

First off hello to all. i am new to the whole fiero/ forum deal. i just purchased a 1986 1/2 fiero gt with the 2.8 v6. this thing doesn't have any rust or dents. i am looking to put a bigger power plant in but was wondering which would be the best. i was thinking the 3.8 series II with s/c. but i need to know how much cutting off the frame there would be because i am not so good at cutting or wilding. also i was wondering if i needed to upgrade any of the other components if i get a bigger engine or if the stock items would all still work?
any comments and hints would be most helpful. thanks o much .

No rust in Ohio? You better look again. Check the bottom of the doors for a start. You better not have any dents in those plastic panels. Welcome to the forum.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
The
3800SC series II is a nice clean fit in the Fiero and with enough time and some skill most can do this swap by them selves. The 4 speed manual the 86 GT came with works real nice with the 3800SC but as mentioned if you are looking to 1/4 mile race or seriously abust this car go with the stronger 4T65E HD tranny that comes with the 3800SC engine. There is a bunch of photos in the link below my sig that may give you an idea of what is involved with a 3800SC swap into your Fiero. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay