SHO to FierSHO by Maclyn
Started on: 10-26-2007 11:07 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: fieromadman on 10-31-2007 02:37 PM
Maclyn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaclynSend a Private Message to MaclynDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up an 88 SE fiero for a couple hundred runs and drives like a dream but the iron duke is just getting on my last nerve just when the car feels like it should be really opening up it kinda hits the wall, I looked around and saw all the LS and SBC swaps done on a fiero but I decided I wanted something a little more original so I found a mid 90s 6cyl Taurus SHO it's a 3.0 or 3.2 porduced by yamaha for ford red lines around 10K and produces over 230 hp stock, easy to turbo or SC and takes 150-200 shots of Nitrous laughing. All in all seems like a pretty strong solution, however the only thing I've found about it on the net are a few abandoned projects I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this being done or if I'm breaking virgin territory? if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for this swap, or any pitfalls I'll run into, I'd appriciate it.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Talk to custom2m4 hes working on the same swap now with twin turbos.
Maclyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaclynSend a Private Message to MaclynDirect Link to This Post
lol same here looking at the IHI or t3 off of the old 2.3t's for the turbos
IraSummers

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IraSummersSend a Private Message to IraSummersDirect Link to This Post
fiero + SHO 6cyl = Mean + twin turbo = OMG!!!

------------------
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Summers Show and Go
-Fiero Restoration, Performance, and Repair
-Sandblasting
-Powder Coating
-Automotive Restoration
-Custom Modular Intakes

Boone NC
SummersI@bellsouth.net

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Have not seen or heard of one done yet, the biggest obstical you will need to over come will be engine management as that has stopped most EFI swaps cold.
In the old days you could put any engine in any car as long it fit between the fenders, with EFI that is not the case and can be very difficult to get running outside the engines designated car let alone tryng to get it tuned correctly.
I remeber when the N* swaps dropped off into near none existance because of computer issues of trying to get the thing to run just down the street. Now thanks to some very determined people here and other places this problem is a thing of the past and the N* swap seems to have now come back in popularity.
Don't give up and you could have one hell of a ride, but be prepared for a lot of frustation along the way to reaching your goals.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I doubt that swapping over the ecu from a ford will present much of a problem, I would imagine that they have the ecu hacked by now anyway.

A 3800SC swap would offer more power, proven swap methods, proven reliability, and most likely cheaper to get ahold of a motor and trans.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Ford Product in a GM Product, not the best idea, but it's your car so go for it. I have seen those 3.0 liter Ford SHO's built up before, with turbo's and nitrious, and lets just say all the hype isn't true. I have only seen about 4 of them built up and they didn't last half way down the 1/8 mile dragway before they blew up. They were not in any Fiero's.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 10-26-2007).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
If it's any consolation, someone just sold a ford 5.0 powered fiero on the forum. It5 ran and drove, there was even a video.
and it has been done in a fiero, there was a gt40 kit powered by a SHO engine.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Go for it ...its a sweet high rpm engine and would fit the character of the Fiero..the 3.0 or 3.2 would rock forget the v8 SHO ..the SHO Taurus gets up and moves
My advice is to study it and get info from the ford SHO forum as to its strengths and weaknesses and then decide if you want to go that route..I do know there can be probs with the cams from high mileage and lack of care oil wise
Maclyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaclynSend a Private Message to MaclynDirect Link to This Post
The cam issue is only wiht the V8 and I've already done quite a bit of research just wondering if anyone knows of any issues I might not have thought of.

Thanks for the support, post the results as soon as I get them LOL

keep up the comments I want to hear what everyone thinks
kyp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kypSend a Private Message to kypDirect Link to This Post
erll b4 i got my 87GT i wasn looking into the older SHO and i found theat they are pritty reliable but when you have the manual the oem clutch goes really fast like 40k or so. but that problem is solved with an aftermarket one. now the problem is finding one with decent milage.
PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
i thought this would be cool to because the yamaha motor sounds really cool and a few people i no had them for a while and they took abuse of new drivers pretty well. I would like to see one of these finished because they make good power for a 6 cyl.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Here are some Videos of some modified SHO's. For your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a Turbocharged one:

Here is a Supercharged one:

Another Supercharged one:

85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
Those are nice, but seems like they dont really come into the powerband until really high up.

that turbo one was fast, but it seemed like it was getting beat alot

------------------

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
for future knowledge, there is no such thing as a 1988 fiero SE, only the 88 coupe, 88 formula, and 88 GT, the formula and GT's were 6cyl's

matthew
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Yep you're right mosh_man.
Maclyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaclynSend a Private Message to MaclynDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the correction. still new to fieros so I really appriciate any info. Still looking for the SHO found an interesting issue with this oarticular swap. Apparantly ford only offered a cable shift style trans from 89 through the first half of 91 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a rod shift work since the engine will be 180* out from the current position to the body. Any thoughts or advise would again be Great!
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't just use a lever in there that pivots at the middle? Having the cable pull on one end would convert the movement to pushing on the other end, effectively reversing the cable direction.
Maclyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaclynSend a Private Message to MaclynDirect Link to This Post
I thought about that, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a rod shift also use the rotation of the rod to determine gear? or am I completely off?
luvin_my_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for luvin_my_fieroClick Here to visit luvin_my_fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to luvin_my_fieroDirect Link to This Post
I had a 91 SHO and it was fast for a big ole 4door. I think your a little confused. My SHO had a cable actuated CLUTCH but the gear selection was the same as the Fiero basically. I bought a SHO with 120K on it and it still hauled a$$ and lasted me a year and a half when I sold it to a friend. Good luck!!

------------------
Keith
Topsail Beach,NC
86&87 Fiero GT
86&96 Corvette
04 Harley Davidson Softail
73 Lotus Europa Twin Cam
86 Lotus Turbo Esprit

"He who dies with the most toys wins!!!"

Maclyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaclynSend a Private Message to MaclynDirect Link to This Post
nope 89-first half of 91 used a cable from the gear shift to the trans 91.5-93 used a rod between shifter and trans an 93-95 had auto and 96+ are the V8 models(garbage)
PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
That would be sweet! I have always been a fan of these engines. BTW, the redline is 7k. Some people I know have theirs chipped up to 8k. The engine drops off after 7 though, so unless you have cams thats pointless. Gotta love the secondaries though!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock