cheapest swap? by ly041181
Started on: 10-26-2007 01:45 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Austrian Import on 10-26-2007 02:37 PM
ly041181

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post
Not including the cost of the motor itself, what is the cheapest swap? I want to do a v8 but the thought of spending 3k on the kit kills me...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
The cheapest swap is one that you can do yourself.
ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post
very insightful lol all the work will be done myself I am just trying to figure out which one to start researching and buying parts for.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
The cheapest swap is the one you do once. I'll explain...the 2.8, 3.1, 3.4OHV swaps are cheap; but most swap again after these motors are in because they suck aka no power. Then the you have a 3.4 dohc, 3.8sc, sbc, 4.9. If you feel bold and daring there is always the LS or N* swaps.
chanoric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chanoricSend a Private Message to chanoricDirect Link to This Post
also while were on this subject what is the cheapest and easiest for someone who has never done a engine swap. I want to do a 3800 SC then later on do a ls2 swap. after i get experience.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ly041181:
Not including the cost of the motor itself, what is the cheapest swap? I want to do a v8 but the thought of spending 3k on the kit kills me...

If you're "not including the cost of the motor itself," then in terms of absolute dollars (as opposed to some other definition of "cheapest"), the pushrod 3.4L V6 probably still should be the cheapest swap, as it requires no kit or rewiring. If on the other hand, you're interested in the cheapest V8 swap, rather than just the "cheapest swap," you might want to make that distinction more explicit in order to avoid receiving any V6-based suggestions.

Originally posted by chanoric:
also while were on this subject what is the cheapest and easiest for someone who has never done a engine swap.

"Cheapest and easiest" probably also would be the pushrod 3.4L V6 because it reuses so many of the 2.8L Fiero's parts. Perhaps the most complicated aspect of the pushrod 3.4L swap is relocating the starter from one side of the 3.4L's block to the other, and there is even a jig sold by Rodney Dickman to make that operation virtually foolproof ( http://www.rodneydickman.com ).
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
If you want a cheap V8 look into the 4.9 Liter, it is the cheapest V8 swap, it requires no kit. As far as cheapest of all time swap would be swapping the 2.8 liter engine with another 2.8 liter engine out of another Fiero, it requires no modification or fabrication, it may require some money for new parts that need to be replaced if you get one out of a junkyard. But if you want the cheapest swap that would require some time and money and patience, it would be the 3.4 liter out of a Camaro. Almost a bolt in, some modification is required.
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
the next step up after a 3.4pr would be a 3.4 DOHC, correct? What would be the next one after that?

Hopefully this is an easy question: please forgive me if it isn't. To get 0-60mph in the 6 second range, what would be my engine choices? (let's say stock engine swaps, tuning/upgrading the engine would make this a more involved question.) Manual tranny if it makes a difference.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock