Auto Trans Fluid Question. by RDANA
Started on: 10-21-2007 02:23 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: uhlanstan on 10-23-2007 09:56 AM
RDANA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RDANASend a Private Message to RDANADirect Link to This Post
What is the best fluid to use in my 86 2.8 automatic tranny ?

Thanks
Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2007 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Use your favorite brand,dextron 3 ..this is a rugged transmission ,you could run auto store brand,any product you buy will be superior to the original fluid,the fiero automatic transmission is one of its good points.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post
Things you need to know about ATF. It Lubricates, carries heat away from tranny, cleans tranny parts, is a hydraulic fluid. But most of all, Old fluid carries dust particles that help grip the clutch packs as the friction discs wear. This is why sometimes you can total a tranny by changing the fluid (on some cars) High mileage low maintenance.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
I put Mobile 1 synthetic Dexron III in my 86 auto several months, maybe a year ago. It's been running perfectly all this time. It was my daily driver until I got my 88 duke in July, which has been my daily driver since August.
mach1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mach1Send a Private Message to mach1Direct Link to This Post
"What is the best fluid to use in my 86 2.8 automatic tranny ?"

That's all depends on what are you doing? What driving style? Racing or just plain old grocey getter.

For the performance minded (racing). Either Trick Fluid or good old Ford F-Type. must have an additional trans cooler for the higher friction fluid. Will wear out the interal compnenets in no time. Should change out fluid and filter at least once a year or after the racing season.

The regular grocey getter: Good old plain Dextron III fluid. should change the fluid at least once every 30,000 miles.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
All post good advise ,this is a place where you can go with lowest price ,use of fluids depend on mind set.. if you are use to using a brand name oil just use there ATF.. the 3 speed auto is not fussy,when a transmission gets 20 years old,it needs more frequent fluid change, the t125 in the fiero needs no special treament its a work horse,, your transmission is probably the original and has probably never been worked on ,it is full of crap(tech term) from years of use.. the T125 is not a good tranmission it is a reliable transmission..if it were mine ?? I would run the cheapest atf I could find for 500 to 1000 miles drain it and install what you prefer.. my post on t125 are not based on my own experience ,but on study ,reading ,listening to mechanics and talking to owners,and work on other transmissions! wish I could say same about 4 & 5 speed! ha ha

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock