how to check for leaks in exhuast manifold by 88White3.4GT
Started on: 10-17-2007 12:57 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-18-2007 08:37 AM
88White3.4GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Just like the subject line says. What is the easiest way to find any leaks in the manifolds while they are still attached? I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak through the front exhaust manifold (one closest to the rear window).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2007 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Use a hose placed in the ear just like a stethoscope and place at each exhaust manifold exit,till you locate loudest , to pinpoint leak,when cold,have another person start car while you move your finger around manifold,not so easy on firewall side cylinders,once warm use piece of paper ,cut to size,, as you move the paper around manifold the leak will move the paper when it hits the paper, alarge leak will move heavy paper,, the best way is to get a wide assortment of socketss wrenches,,flex adapters,offset wrenches and check for loose bolts that can be tighten,if loose bolts and you can tighten you must live a very righteous life,because you are blessed..be gentle when you check for loose bolt .. if bolt will not turn it is almost impossible to get pb blaster into threads..I have worked the bolt back forth with the socket and loosen one it is worth the effort to try because a real pain when one breaks,, there is no room to tap these bolts to help loosen.do not break bolts off untill you are at a place that pulling the head is an option while you are under there check all bolts..when i find bolt that will come out,I pull it out clean hole and install new bolt do not force any bolt on the exhaust that does not leak this is a fiero problem area.if wrench is at perfect 90o angle your chance of success is much greater.. search this subject there are some tutorials on this subject on this forum
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
If you think there's a leak there probubley is.One way is, to use a small mirror from the top of the car, or crawl under from the bottom and use a flash light.You probubley wouldn't see a blown gasket.Look for cracks in the exhaust manifold.
StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Another sign of a leak when making a visual check, is a carbon track from a leaking exhaust port. Any exhaust port on the head that had a loose bolt or two may have a black carbon track from the leak.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
I just hear louder noise from the valve train under load conditions, like going up a hill or down shifting. The gaskets are fairly new, and the exhaust manifold were ported. Thanks for the tips, i'll check it out..

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Easiest way for me is have the engine cold, start her up and feel for the air coming out on your manifold before it gets too hot to feel, usually at the gaskets..

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-18-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock