Winter Tires by kinboyatuwo
Started on: 10-14-2007 10:45 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: kinboyatuwo on 10-16-2007 11:20 AM
kinboyatuwo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
I am going to put some snow (yes winter driving) tires on my Fiero this Winter. I am looking for the same size 215/60/15 but was looking for input on going a bit thinner for more weight per area of tire for more traction. Thinking like 195 or 205 (yes I know to think about profile as well.
Any thoughts on this?

Just looking for input!

[This message has been edited by kinboyatuwo (edited 10-14-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
OK, I'm confused. I have a Prius also and in the winter I put wider tires on the car for better traction. I've always believed that wider tires are far more stable especially in bad weather. Ed

------------------

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
You've also got it ass backwards.

Skinny for the traction in loose stuff (snow, mud) and wide for firm stuff (pavement,etc). Think the model-t would get stuck in 12" of snow? My cars, without snow tires, can have quite a problem with it. The difference is tire width.

Skinny in the snow will add straight line traction, but can affect directional traction, such as when turning, but ot always. I run 195 snows on my cars in the winter.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 10-15-2007).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
A slightly narrower tire for winter is a good idea. I always perfer big nobby tires in winter, however, there have been some really good advancements in recent years.

You will likely want the same circumference, so go to http://www.fieroshop.com.au/tyrecalculator/ and check your size required in the higher aspect ratio.

Good luck and see you on the 28th

Arn
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Get some 14" rims and mount some 185s on there. Winterforce is good (I have them on the truck) and Blizzaks are very good (on the Fiero).

Tall and skinny... more ground clearance and better traction. Wide tires float on top of snow/slush (Think camel in the sand). With snowtires, you want to bite into the snow and get down to some traction, not float on top like everyone else.

J.

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I had a Fiero with 14" Winterforce snow's on it.... Went great in the snow.
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
I have some 195 all around on the original GT 15" wheels.
I think it doesn't really matter if you have 195 or 205 as long as you have a quality tire!
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post
As a general rule going one or two sizes narrower than stock is a good idea for a snow tire. Changing the profile to maintain the overall tire diameter to compensate for the change in width is a good idea as well. This will allow you to maintain your speedometer's accuracy. Check out the Tire Rack.com. You can find a wealth of information on their web site which should prove helpful. Good Luck

------------------
"Its nice to be important.

Its more important to be nice."

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Years ago I had four 195/70R14 studded Dunlops on my Fiero - really good snow traction, fair on ice (you could still spin it if you tried). IF they are legal where you drive, you might want to consider studded tires.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
trhe more slashes in the tire the better. if it looks like someone went nuts and slashed the tire ever 1/4 an inch across the tread that is what you want. If you stick to roads you'll never be in the deep loose stuff that huge lugs are good for, most of the time you will need traction where the dummies with their bald tires turn the intersection to ice by sliding or spinning their tires, that is where a crapload of sipes on the tire help huge.

Look close at the tire image. a ton of little cuts. These are goodyear eagle ultra. With them I can go places 4wd SUV's have trouble. I've also climbed a steep hill covered in ice.

traction is 80% tires.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 10-15-2007).]

tayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tayneSend a Private Message to tayneDirect Link to This Post
This might be a stupid question....do you need all 4 or mostly the rear?
PFF
System Bot
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tayne:

This might be a stupid question....do you need all 4 or mostly the rear?

You don't want to have summer tires at all in winter. (well, depends on the quality of winter )

Winter tires are superior when temps go lower than 7°C / 45°F because of their rubber mixture.

[This message has been edited by swisscheese (edited 10-16-2007).]

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
If all you want to do is go forward and don't care about steering, winter only in the back. If you want to steer and not care about being able to go forward, winter only in the front.

Pick one of the above or choose to do both and get all 4 tires. and no, putting good tires on the left side only will not work.
kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

A slightly narrower tire for winter is a good idea. I always perfer big nobby tires in winter, however, there have been some really good advancements in recent years.

You will likely want the same circumference, so go to http://www.fieroshop.com.au/tyrecalculator/ and check your size required in the higher aspect ratio.

Good luck and see you on the 28th

Arn

First off thanks all. That is about what I was thinking.

Second, Arn, Can't be there I have search and rescue training that weekend and there is no way out of it. I will see you in the spring for sure though! Chances are you will see my car around this winter though!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock