Started on: 10-10-2007 04:14 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: ADT88 on 10-11-2007 06:02 AM
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Are there differences with the blocks and internals on series 2 3800 non supercharged and supercharged models?
Or can you put series 2 heads and supercharger on a non supercharged block and get the same results?

Thanks Jeff
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
The pistons for the L67 are lower compression than the L36. The rods and crank are the same. The heads off the L36 are supposed to be stronger as well.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AP2k:

The pistons for the L67 are lower compression than the L36. The rods and crank are the same. The heads off the L36 are supposed to be stronger as well.

A little off, the pistons, rods, and crank are all different. The heads are very similiar except for the fact that the SC'd version has a provision for the injectors casted into the heads. The NA version, the injectors go into the manifold.
Snappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnappyClick Here to visit Snappy's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnappyDirect Link to This Post
The W Body Store sells a Supercharger Conversion Kit, but they suggest a few modifications to support the boost because like others have said the internals are weaker. It's more than a few parts...
  • L67 Heads (Pair)
  • L67 Fuel Rails
  • L67 Fuel Injectors
  • L67 Pullies (2 idlers and one crank)
  • L67 Supercharger and throttle body
  • L67 MAP sensor and MAP sensor bracket
  • L67 Lower Intake Manifold
  • L67 Valve Covers (pair)
  • L67 Coil Bracket
  • Vacuum line, bolts, etc.

ZZP Z7, ZZP Stattama, and PFYC Cartuning are all turbo kits that will work for the L36, and ZZP also carries a Centrifugal supercharger kit. The Whipple kit is for the stock supercharged engine only. Anyway, you will get more power from a boosted engine designed by the manufaturer for boost than one that was not. ZZP estimates 300 HP - 400 HP (when intercooled) for the N/A 3800 and 400 HP up to 700 HP (when intercooled and a good bit mroe) with the Z7 kit. For my money I would rather have the lower compression and stronger internals if I intended to add artificial aspiration.

[This message has been edited by Snappy (edited 10-10-2007).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
That conversion kit is stupid as heck, its basically 90% of a L67, that you just cobble onto a L36 bottom end.

If you are going to do anything, just stick to things being as close to stock as possible, there are no advantages from cobbling things together. A stock 140k mile bottom end, is going to be just as good, or better, than anything else you can throw together.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
The bottom end on a supercharged engine is built for the boost. You can supercharge or turbo a 3800NA but I dont see it being as durable then. As much as it would cost to get the parts together to do that, it might cost as much or more than if you just bought a whole 3800sc from a boneyard with not too many miles on it and it would be alot easier.

Steve
ADT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2007 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ADT88Send a Private Message to ADT88Direct Link to This Post
I just finished disassembling a 1995 SC and a 1994 N/A. The only thing different
in the short blocks were the pistons and rods. The crankshaft is balanced to the
heavier pistons used in the SC motor, they carry the same casting number.
The SC motors use full floating pins in the pistons.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock