120k mile tune up by The Poopsmith
Started on: 09-20-2007 03:18 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: The Poopsmith on 09-23-2007 03:02 PM
The Poopsmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
I assume there is some info in the Fiero user manuals in light of replacing vital parts to help up keep and extend the life of Fieros. I drive my 88Gt daily and while it still runs well I want to keep it that way. The odometer just turned over 120k miles and I think that's a good number with which I can start keeping a schedule for maintenance.

My question is what have you other Fiero pilots found most beneficial to performance, reliability, and economy when replacing original Fiero equipment? Mind you I'm not looking for go fast goodies just general maintenance and replacement of original equipment and mostly on the cheap unless the higher end performance part clearly exceeds the OEM part in reliability and performance. I ask these questions in a general way that may benefit others in making decisions on what preventative maintenance they should do. I would probably find any information given more helpful if broken down into related categories and rank of necessity in regards to replacement. Thanks for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
More specifically in regards to my 88Gt I know to do things like oil changes and general tune up (spark plugs, cap, wires) and I replace stuff if it fails. I am however uncertain about things like sensors and belts and things that seem more advances then oil changes.

My list so far for things I know I want to replace.
-Fuel filter
-serpentine belt
-transmission flush and fluid replacement
-I have a code 32 so the vacuum solenoid is on my list
-lines and hoses that look worn out and/or are cracking

The vacuum solenoid is the only thing throwing a code but I know it couldn't hurt to replace some other sensors. But what sensors should I consider for replacement?

[This message has been edited by The Poopsmith (edited 09-20-2007).]

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Check your cat mine was destroyed after only 92,000 miles perhaps less I didn't cut it open until 92,000 miles.
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually running my car catless at the moment but I do plan on putting one is sometime this year.

Sensors? Which ones
Hoses? Which ones are hidden that need looking after
Valve adjustment? Is it necessary
Any thing that ages that needs replacement after 120k? radiator caps, pvc/air grommet, electric motors, anything
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
EGR system
rod bearings
radiator

sensors: throttle position, air temp & coolant temp.

valve adjustment? usually no - hydraulic lifters are maintainance free - if they need adjusting - the cam is wrecked. but, removing the heads & getting a valve job done would be nice thing to do - but it is alot of work.
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
bump
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post

The Poopsmith

1154 posts
Member since Mar 2005
is there anybody with an 88Gt user manual that could tell me if they have anything about scheduled maintenance?

Daniel
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
bump for the weekend
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the after party.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock