Decklid Straightening. by PineyCreek
Started on: 09-17-2007 03:07 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: PineyCreek on 09-18-2007 07:03 PM
PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
My decklid is slightly warped I'm thinking. It's perfectly level at the hinges and louvers, but at the taillight, the driver's side is fine, but the passenger's side is about 1 cm lower. It hits the taillight when it shuts (which it has already cracked). The side body panels are level with each other. The fiberglass around the trunk stop bumper is broken, so that doesn't help much, but it shouldn't warp that much. Any suggestions? I was thinking a thin piece of wood at that point and gently but firmly shutting it and leaving it like that for a while.

------------------
1986 SE V6, stock, auto, fastback. GT Trim and Body panels.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Na it wont cure itself. I forget if there are rubber bumper stops for the lid to hit. If there are just adjust the one on the low side up higher till its level. If it dont have them, you can find them in the ' Help ' section of auto parts store or grab a few at the local junk yard. There at the front of the hood on almost every car/ truck. Nothing to stop you from installing them if Fiero dont have them...just a drilled hole.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
You need to repair the broken bump stop. Then you'll probably need to adjust the latch up a tad so that it dosen't pull the lid down quite so much. You want it to pull down against the bump stops yet close eaisly.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Of all the things I've lost over the years, I miss my mind the most!
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
i thought mine was messed up too. what i do though is take out the vents and losen the bolts and then adjust the placement of the decklid and put some weights on it till it looked right. i was able to make it look nice and clean, and i had similar problems as you.
PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
With the prior comments:

The fiberglass around where the trunk stop goes in is broken, so it will not stay put. That is the main problem, and I have little idea how to repair it. I have extra trunk stop bumpers, but they aren't going to help because they won't stay put due to the broken fiberglass or whatever the material is.

------------------
1986 SE V6, stock, auto, fastback. GT Trim and Body panels.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock