Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Need Help with my distributor - Made a Video!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need Help with my distributor - Made a Video! by Oslo
Started on: 09-14-2007 04:51 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Oslo on 09-16-2007 08:50 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I am good at some things, and not others... I've never had to index and reinstall a distributor before. I believe that the reason that I am having problems with the engine is because I did not reinstall my dizzy right the first time. Please watch this video with my question about reinstall:

Fiero Distributor Question
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
p8ntman442

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Can I be the first to reply on two boards?

yes your correct.
Thegiz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThegizSend a Private Message to ThegizDirect Link to This Post
Good job I have never dropped a dist. that easy nice video too.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Well I put it all together tonight and did the timing and I think I have a problem.

I can time it using plug #1 just fine, and when I switch over to plug #2 I see a different timing mark. It is one of the two smaller ones. Is this incorrect?
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
1&4 not 1&2
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Remember that you also want the distributor base oriented so you can hook up the cables to it. Other than that, your procedure seems correct. In theory you could make any post the number 1 but it is best to set your distributor up like it is in the service manuals, that way the next owner will not get confused.
If your engine starts, runs real rough and you can't set the timing correctly, your distributor could be 180 degrees out, because the engine wasn't really at TDC. In that case just pull the distributor out, turn the rotor 180 degrees (to point to the number 4 cylinder post of the distributor cap) and you should be alright.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I have a question about the timing marks on the harmonic balancer. There are 3 of them. One large one that has been painted white and two smaller ones that have not been painted.

When timing Cyl. #1 I was able to set the white large mark on 10* easily. Then when I switched over to cyl #4 the white mark was gone and all I saw was one of the two smaller timing marks, but it was at 10* also.

Is this supposed to happen?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The easiest way is to put the timing light on the coil wire. The timing light will fire with every pulse so you can average #1 and #4 without having to switch back and forth. I'm betting you saw the other mark because the timing light was on the wrong plug wire.

The slim marks are a way of setting valve lash. Each mark will be TDC for each cylinder in turn since each cylinder fires every other revolution. So the fat mark is TDC for #1, rotate until the next skinny mark comes up and that is TDC for #2, rotate again to the next skinny and TDC for #3, then when the fat mark comes around the second time it's TDC for #4. Rotate more for #5 and #6. Make sense? So when setting lash with #1 at TDC, the valves are both closed and you can adjust the rocker arms correctly. Rotate to the next skinny mark and set the lash for #2 and so on.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
opps,
i didn't read all of the info.

nevermind me.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 09-15-2007).]

hobodude34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Direct Link to This Post
what kind of intake system are you using?? by looking at your video.. i know off subject. lol
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

I have a question about the timing marks on the harmonic balancer. There are 3 of them. One large one that has been painted white and two smaller ones that have not been painted.

When timing Cyl. #1 I was able to set the white large mark on 10* easily. Then when I switched over to cyl #4 the white mark was gone and all I saw was one of the two smaller timing marks, but it was at 10* also.

Is this supposed to happen?

Yes. The three marks on the harmonic dampener (note, it's not a balancer) correspond with firing events for each cylinder since the crank's throws are 120 degrees apart. The service manual says to check timing on 1 and 4 since they share the same timing mark. I've never seen a crank that was mis-machined enough for the #1 and 4 timing to be off by a degree even, so I don't worry about it.

JazzMan
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replies and help! I have the timing set really well now, but I am still fighting with driveability issues due to the dual TB intake setup. I'll get it eventually!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock