quad 4 VS 2.8 by fieroboy_gt
Started on: 09-10-2007 05:18 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: uhlanstan on 10-09-2007 11:02 PM
fieroboy_gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I have a chance to buy a 87 fiero with a 90 quad 4 HO an 5speed convertied an was wondering if any one knew how it would compaire to a 2.8 fiero. My GT just got wrecked in a car accident an i need to replace it.an this guy only wants 1500 for the car already done an driving .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
If you didn't do it, I'd be angry with you. Depending on the year, you're looking at 175-195hp I believe, and the 2.8l is only 135-140.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
As long as the quad 4 is in decent shape I would jump on that deal.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Let me know if you dont buy it!!!!!
What happened to your GT. Save it for parts or did the insurance co. take it?

------------------
87 coupe resoration project.

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
ive got 2.8L fiero's and a 1990 quad4 high output in a fiero, the quad4 feels like a stock 4cyl from 1000-3000 RPM, from 3001-7000 RPM it feels great, like a indy car, due to its low torque on the bottom end, its got almost the same 0-60 times as the 2.8L fiero, maybe slightly better 1/4 mile times, and MUCH better gas mileage as long as you keep it in 5th gear when in the interstate.

check the coolent and make sure its not green, my oil turned green, i thought it was a blown headgasket, it was just a bad waterpump, i had 180 PSI on all cylinders.

not an easy fix, but felt better than a headgasket.

matthew
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
The quad 4 was upgraded thru out its life,if a 1990 you should be careful!! If engine sounds tight you are probably safe,,they are noisy!!make sure you get information on electronics so if you have problem you can replace.. I thought about this as swap for my duke ,but I achieve better mpg with duke(with a bit of work..looks cool in engine compartment what is the price ?? I like this swap.. I had a quad 4 in a calais liked the sound and performance with acceptable M P G
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I kept my GT. I found out that it was wrecked one other time back in 1987 one year after it was sold. it was a total loss back then. I dont know how they fixed it back then . this car was perfect. I got a 85 GT that I will take the bumper passanger fender hood an light assembely out of an fix it.

But back tot the quad. Im going to get it this weekend. the guy that has it says he drove it all last year but didnt reregister it this year. he said it drive great an I can still driver her up an down the road an what not cause he lives in the country. he is selling it for 1700 but Ill talk him downa little, I am poor. although the insurrance ajuster said that the car was worth more than she ever had thought. I got 3200. for it an I still feel ripped off. I never would be able to buy my car for that price in the shape that it was in with the low miles that it had. than I had to buy it back from the insurrance company for 600. talk about double screwed.

well I will get the quad 4 this weekend. I hope that Im not dissapointed. Im looking for somthing that will put me back a little more than a 2.8 but I guess Gas mileage isnt bad either. but if thats the case I know were I can get a 88 duke for like 1500. an Im pretty sure that that would get good gas mileage too.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine has a Quad 4 Fiero and its the HO 190HP version. Bottom end feels like a regular Duke four but as soon as you reach 3 grand the power just explodes.
On the highway the climb from 60 to 100MPH is very fast. Probably would be great with FDR gears between 3:33 and 4:10:1 . I would only swap this engine if it's A1 and solid as its an expensive engine to rebuild.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I wernt impressed with the quad 4 so I didnt buy it. the guy ended up wanting 1700 for it it is in craigslist in new hampsire. if anyone else is intrested in it they should call the guy. his number is on the craigslist ad. I didnt think it was all that fast. my V6 was a lot faster in all ranges maybe not on top end but I didnt have the guys car doin 125 but the installe was very clean an he had all the info for it an a tone of other parts an a whole parts fiero. the motor had a 5 speed on it an it shifted pretty smoothly. I guess its off to a 350 swap.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
some of the quads are only around 130 hp .there are a lot of threads that explain all the changes and different types of these motors .the HO version has the most grunt , but from reading the various threads , are fairly rare .
koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzDirect Link to This Post
Go here //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-040182.html for what a Quad4 can be built to do.
PFF
System Bot
koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzDirect Link to This Post

koolgtz

175 posts
Member since Nov 2001
koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzDirect Link to This Post

koolgtz

175 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Double post, sorry. Go here //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/060778.html
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Our grand am with a quad died very suddenly. Head gasket, do not let it over heat.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
after 1997 the quad 4 is a desirable engine it is noisy but fun for an enthusiast to drive as the power comes on fast,they get really decent hiway M.P.G.pontiac and oldsmade many improvements thru out the years a lot of wow effect when you open the hood.only buy one if in really good shape ,, the auto rags pronouce this engine satisfactory after 97 stay away from the HO unless you like the last drop of performance!watch the tach to avoid severe pain in left buttock,confusing since wallet becomes so much lighter.any quad 4 a pleasure to drive unless ultimate power is your goal ...former 2 time quad 4 owner,, nurse goofy love this car we could hear her comming 1/2 mile away a great american classic

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock