Bearing Service 2.8 by anwalker
Started on: 09-07-2007 10:33 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: anwalker on 09-07-2007 01:19 PM
anwalker

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I am in the process of tracking down and replacing a bad rod bearing. I started to drop the pan last night and I got the starter out of the way and was able to get all the bolts out. I did not remove the front engine mount because I was able to get to the pan bolts with it in place. Do you think that I can get the pan out with the front mount attached? I havent tried yet because I still have to get the sway bar out of the way. I just dont want to create more trouble than its worth.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I removed the front mount on my '86. Can't remember if it was required or just freed up some wiggle room.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
no, it will not come out without jacking up the motor AND removeing the mount. you dont just gotta remove to free the motor, but the bracket itself is in the way. you can get the 2 front bolts thru the wheel well, and the 2 bottom bolts from the bottom. also - you will need to undo the dogbone. be sure the motor is supported when you undo the 2 front bolts of the front mount.

the reason is the main bearing caps hang very low in the pan, and you wont be able to tip it enough to get it out. and, in fact, if you need even more room, loosing the exhaust from the headpipe & remove the hanger springs will give you a little more. not so important for removal - but, for the install with wet silicone.
p8ntman442

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Dont forget to tack weld the pickup tube to the oil pump so when you put the pan back on it dosent fall off and ruin your motor on first start up.
anwalker

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. Ill tackle that this weekend. It doesnt look to be that big of a deal. I have a 3.8sc on the engine stand to go in but it will be a while. If I can patch up the 2.8 with a bearing swap at least I can roll.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock