Rear radio support bracket removal by PineyCreek
Started on: 09-07-2007 03:20 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: PineyCreek on 09-09-2007 02:30 AM
PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I admit it, I'm a total n00b at Fieros...but I love mine and it's an absolute money sink. Simple question: Everyone says to install an aftermarket stereo in the Fiero you need to remove the rear center supporting bracket for the original head unit. Can someone tell me exactly what this is supposed to be or look like? A picture would help (but please don't disassemble your dash on my account) :P.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
it is a big metal flange with a hole in the center coming from the bottom of the radio opening (in the back). You can probably get a dremel in there and grind away the plastic. I have just bent it back and forth to break the plastic holding it.

J.
befarrer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of those dash adapters that adapt the stock din 1.5 hole down to a din 1.0 hole to fit the aftermarket radios, and it brought the radio out just enough to clear it. I have a kenwood deck in my Fiero, and it is not touching that metal plate back there.
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
I just ripped mine out and surprisingly i didn't break anything i only bent the metal part a little.
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, sounds like it will be easy...now...what's the depth in the front dash available for those 4x10 speakers? I've got a set of Eclipse SE 8405's I'm thinking of putting in there.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by befarrer:

I bought one of those dash adapters that adapt the stock din 1.5 hole down to a din 1.0 hole to fit the aftermarket radios, and it brought the radio out just enough to clear it. I have a kenwood deck in my Fiero, and it is not touching that metal plate back there.

Yes If you buy the dash adapter for a Fiero it will move the face of the radio out to clear the bracket.
Some people do not like the look of the radio sticking out so they buy a GM universal kit which mounts the radio face flush to the dash and they remove the bracket. It's a matter of preference.

I just used a large screw driver and pried off the bracket from the plastic (it's rivoted on).

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif

16460 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Originally posted by PineyCreek:

Awesome, sounds like it will be easy...now...what's the depth in the front dash available for those 4x10 speakers? I've got a set of Eclipse SE 8405's I'm thinking of putting in there.

Driver side is about 6" and the passenger side is about 2.5 feet. Basically any 4X10 speaker will fit in the Fiero. Some have even under-mounted 6X9 speakers in the dash. So you have ample room.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I used a big screw driver and hammer to knock the bracket out.I then used a piece of split ruber hose and a few zip ties to protect the wireing from heat from the radio.My aftermarket radio goes back farther now.
whereatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattDirect Link to This Post

PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, thanks folks. Didn't know it was riveted in there. Got a prybar and ripped it out.

And I want to kill whoever put a radio in here before...the wiring's a mess. Oh well, I'm running new speaker wire anyway.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock