How to install Hid headlights by Daniel
Started on: 08-07-2007 07:40 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Daniel on 09-10-2007 11:21 PM
Daniel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to upgrade my headlights from stock, and wanted the best output possible, so I decided to use hid headligts, including the projector from a Cadillac XLR These I had to make a bucket to mount them in, and I still need to enclose the front, top and back from the elements, and wire them in with relays, however here are some pictures of prohress so far.

This is the lights up, and turned off

This is the lights up, drivers side, the ballast is under the left front of the bucket that I built.

This is an output picture, note the sharp cutoff compared to even halogen reflectors,
This is why projectors are a must, to reduce glare

the light to the upper left centre is from a light on the building, however there is some light cast up to illuminate overhead streetsigns.

A closeup of the centre of the beam
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I'm so used to seeing two bulbs in there, that I'm not sure what to make of it... Keep us updated with your progress.
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about having a marker light on the side, but there just wont be that much room. Hopefully I will be able to fabricate a back, top and front cover this month and actually start using them.
Cosco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoscoClick Here to visit Cosco's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoscoDirect Link to This Post
Make a kit for the rest of us lol?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I like those headlights. Good alternative to the expensive Hella route. I also like that it's OEM based, so one can look at boneyards for parts. Can't wait to see what they look like when they're properly adjusted. (soft edge removed and headlight adjusted properly) Below for comparison what beam pattern should look like (at least that's what it looks like on the H.I.D. equipped cars at work. :shrug: ).

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

The expensive Hella 90mm HID low beam module, D2S HID capsule (~3200 lumens, DOT compliant):

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 08-08-2007).]

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
The cutoff is a bit sharper than in the pics, just hard to figure out the right settings with the camera for best results, although there is some light cast upward by what some people call a squirrel catcher that acts as a miror reflecting some of the light upwards.
Once I get the case built I will try to get better pictures.

As for making a kit, I would probabaly go with 90mm hellas hid low and halogen high+ hid low, or build a non popup version due to the tight clearances of the headlight housing.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
By next weekend should have some new output pictures, and case pictures.
The double z iz caused by having two projectors on , unlike the single one in the picture from hidplanet.
The light cast above the cutoff line is a result from what people call a squirrel catcher that illuminates overhead signs on the highway.
IU am not going to play with lense spacing as i have read that in most cases you reduce the intensity of the output, while sharpening the edge, I prefer the output to remain as bright as possible.

I have wired the high beam switch so power for low beam is on as well, and not interrupted between low beam and high beam, which works in my case since this stock harness only powers the relays for the headlights, as well as solenoids for high beam.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in how you built the buckets holding the projectors.
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
The difficult p[art of the buckets were the sides, as there was limited room. I had to cut out a slot for the Mounting braket from the stock projector is, and where the solenoid is for high beam,, tyhen mount the bottom for a good aim and trim the back, which there was very little clearance for. I ended up making a few prototypes out of wood that are very rough just to get anh idea if they would fit, and used uhmw plastic 1.5 " thick for the sides.The top, bottom and back are thin, roughly 1/16" aluminum for weight savings and rust resistance, as well to provide structure and rust resistance. Each projector is different, so you just have to build a box that the projector fits in , and then make it fit in the stock location. If I were doing this again I would probabaly go with flush mount for the simplisity, and space constraints.
Two88GTs

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Two88GTsSend a Private Message to Two88GTsDirect Link to This Post
Any provisions for the high-beams using bi-xenon solenoids possibly? Keep up the good work, regardless.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoDirect Link to This Post
Daniel?
Not to get off topic here but wondering, looks like you have driving lights in place of your park/turn lights, if so what are you doing for park/turn lights?
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I use the third bulb, a mini one for the parking light, and I have the foglight set to daytime driving, as well as signal light using 3 relays. I needed to put leds in the front sidee markers tro stop feedback, and use a electric signal relay for.

Wiring diagram here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079590.html
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post

Daniel

282 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I had wired the high beams initially through a relay that brought power back to the low beam circuit. but decided againt it as it wouild momentarily turn power off to the ballasts.

I have just setup a jumper harness that powers low beam cicuit continuously, and adds high beam to trigger the solenoids.
This was done at the switch under the column, using standard 1/4 inch quick connects as jumpers and 4 inches of harness from a wrecked fiero for ease of installation so I may return to stock configuration.
This powers the bi-xenon solenoid and relays without a problem.
I would not power four lights this way as it would overpower the circuit.

I have a seperate power from the battery to power the hid headlights, although they only run on 35 watts each, there is an initial spike weell above the halogen requirements.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock