Started on: 08-05-2007 07:04 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: chrishahn87 on 08-07-2007 08:02 PM
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
ANY ONE KNOW IF YOU CAN BUY A RATTLE CAN ,ENGINE PAINT THAT IS REALLLLLL CLOSE TO STOCK FIERO plenum COLOR,, what brand???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2007 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

ANY ONE KNOW IF YOU CAN BUY A RATTLE CAN ,ENGINE PAINT THAT IS REALLLLLL CLOSE TO STOCK FIERO plenum COLOR,, what brand???

I found VHT brand "Universal Red" to be a good match.
Maybe a little brighter, but pretty close.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
there are varying opinions..... I responded in a recent thread about this, and some of the more popular choices are listed...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084411.html

Rich

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 08-05-2007).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I used the the Dupicolor DE1607 Chevy Red/Orange and think it is very close to stock.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2007 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I used the Duplicolor ceramic engine paint Ford Red which seems like a very good match.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2007 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Like I said .... everyone has their own opinion ... I went with the Chrysler industrial red ...
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Out of all the engine paints, I think Ford engine red is the reddest, the Chrysler and Chevrolet are more orange, with the Chevy being the orangest. Also Ford red is the same color as Honda ATV red, that is what the Honda dealership told me to use when I was repainting my Odyssey.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2007 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
I don't think all Fiero plenums are exactly the same color. For my car, Duplicolor Chrysler red seems to be the closest. If the store will let you, take a few Popsicle sticks in and spray each one with a different engine red. Then go out and compare them to your engine.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2007 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

I used the Duplicolor ceramic engine paint Ford Red which seems like a very good match.

I used the same thing on a set of valve covers. It was a perfect match when compared to a very clean original intake. My method was to remove the rubber grommets and use aircraft stripper to remove all the old paint. You would want to remove the throttle body on an intake.

Then I sprayed them down with Castrol SuperClean to degrease them. After that, I washed them in white vinegar, rinsed with water, and let them air dry.

I then sprayed them with Zinc Phosphate primer. That's the stuff used for priming aircraft panels before painting. I let that dry overnight. Then I used the Ford Red High Temp with ceramic to paint them. After they had set for a couple of days, in the sun, I took a scraper that uses a single-edge razor blade, and I sliced the primer and paint off the ribs of the valve cover. This is the type razor blade scraper that's often used for removing paint from windows after painting the frame.

I then took an electric pad sander, and polished the remaining primer and paint off the ribs. You can start with something like 180 then finish with something in the area of 400 grit. It shines up the bare aluminum very nicely as it removes the remaining thin layer of zinc phosphate primer. After that, I put them in an electric kitchen oven, and baked them at 250 degrees for 20 minutes. This will harden the paint and make it more resistant to staining, than just leaving it with an air cure. As with baking anything, preheat the oven. I wouldn't advise leaving them over 30 minutes as you stand a chance of blistering any spots that may not have fully air cured.

Remove and let it air cool.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-06-2007).]

chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

I also used this paint, and agree that its a very close match!

Chris

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock