Started on: 06-07-2007 03:45 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 07-17-2007 11:45 PM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2007 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
221whp, 218 ft-lbs.

EDIT: Just noticed the graph says "flywheel torque" and "flywheel horsepower". It's just mislabeled.. It was a chassis dyno; so this is actually horsepower at the wheels. I didn't take my motor out this morning ;-P.

I have the AFRs in another chart, they were getting leaner than I wanted up top and were too rich (11:1) down low where I experienced a torque decrease after changing my intake.. so I should be able to stay safe on the top end, and gain some low end torque back, after I tune it when I have time after finals.

It's a 1993 3.4 DOHC with:

.030" overbore
Sealed Power hyper-eutectic pistons with coated skirts
ARP rod bolts
Balanced and blueprinted
Ported lower intake manifold
Short-runner upper intake with 3" pipe plenum
3" aluminum intake pipe to K&N cone in the fender well (with the TB all the way open its 3" of pipe directly to the runners )
Decked heads (.014")
Stock cam timing
Stock throttle body
BCFA chip with slightly leaner fuel curve in power enrichment (similar to Ben's performance chip)
2.5" exhaust with Spintech single-inlet dual-outlet muffler and 2.5" magnaflow cat
Getrag 282 with Quad 4 gears

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 06-08-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sleeper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2007 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleeperSend a Private Message to SleeperDirect Link to This Post
COOL!!!
now throw that turbo(s) on.
and then dyno it.

------------------

3800 Supercharged w/ some mods
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/344502
West Coast Fiero

flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2007 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
wow, thats almost exactly how I had mine setup when I ran my 13.93 at 101. the only differance is I didn't have the intake mods (completely stock intake setup). now I have an UDP and am going to be doing the 6/6 cam timing this summer and probably get into the 13.8s. great numbers for N/A!

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street.
... ... !
350ci 400hp/tq SBC, 4 bolt main
Spec Stage 3, Nitrous Oxide, many extras.
87 GT, Cryo Treated 5-speed Getrag.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sleeper:
now throw that turbo(s) on.

Shhhhh!

What turbo?

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2007 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I want to see the ebrake run!! :-)

Nice man!
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Bump! Nice work, Steven. Better take me for a ride this summer.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Why didnt you do the exhaust cam advance mod? I hear thats suppose to be really cool, but I never saw anyone do it with dyno sheets.

It seems that intake really boosted the power, I think you can attest most of the gains to that.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2007 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Bump! Nice work, Steven. Better take me for a ride this summer.

Me too, me too.

The numbers look awesome!!! I love how flat the torque curve stays. Can't wait to see it at WestFest '07, or at some runs ...

-M
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2007 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Why didnt you do the exhaust cam advance mod? I hear thats suppose to be really cool, but I never saw anyone do it with dyno sheets.

It seems that intake really boosted the power, I think you can attest most of the gains to that.

His gearing works better without the change. He likes twisties.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Me too, me too.

Yeah I'll give you guys rides. I'll let you know when I'm back in town.

The numbers look awesome!!! I love how flat the torque curve stays.

Yeah I was surprised about how flat the torque curve is because it doesnt actually feel that way, maybe just because of the torque dip from 3000 to 4000 where normally the torque comes on strong with the stock intake. The dip in the middle is due to tuning (way too rich; 11:1), I will tune that out as soon as I get back home and have time to mess with it.

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Why didnt you do the exhaust cam advance mod?

You probably mean exhaust cam retard. I've done it before. I drove it like that for a year. I did NOT like the powerband. As Emc209i hinted at, it lacks low end torque with the 13* retard so it doesn't work so well up in the canyons because even with the Quad 4 gears there is too much ratio spread. Additionally I have other plans for this motor that would not benefit from the exhaust cam retard (hint: I don't want more overlap). I hear thats suppose to be really cool, but I never saw anyone do it with dyno sheets.

Yup. With the stock intake I wouldn't expect more than 190 to 200.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 06-09-2007).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Getrag 282 with Quad 4 gears

Nice numbers!

Question, Do you know what the gearing difference's (ratio's) are in the QUAD4 gears?

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 06-09-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
Nice numbers!

Thanks!

Question, Do you know what the gearing difference's (ratio's) are in the QUAD4 gears?

Here are the ratios for my transmission:
1st: 3.50
2nd: 2.19
3rd: 1.38
4th: 1.03
5th: 0.81
Final: 3.61

Only a few of the Quad 4 transmissions had these ratios. 1st and 2nd are much tighter than the Fiero gears. 2nd to 3rd ends up a bit wider since 3rd is the same as the Fiero. 5th gear is slightler shorter but you can find these ratios with the 0.72 5th in some applications.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I have a custom Getrag too, My gears are:

FDR 3.61

I have yet to drive with the 3.4 DOHC and these gears, but I can tell you that with the 3.4 Pushrod, I should have stuck with the 3.50 first and the 2.05 second. It might be alright to have the 3.77 / 2.19 first second with the 3.4 DOHC. We'll see.

But I have to say, the 1.38 third and 1.03 fourth and the 0.72 fifth are perfect. Third and fourth pull like crazy. Fifth is economy like it should be.

I bet Stevesnyder loves his third and fourth

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 06-09-2007).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Actually I wish 3rd and 4th were shorter! The gap between 2nd and 3rd is larger than it should be. 3rd to 4th shift is perfect, and 4th goes up to 140mph. If 3rd and 4th were a bit shorter so they could be closer to 2nd overall, the gears would be absolutely perfect.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Really nice . Can you tell me where you got your car dyno'd at and if they burn fiero ECU chips ?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington. The phone # is at the top of the dyno sheet. I don't know if they offer chip-burning services.. I burn my own chips. Give 'em a call and make sure you talk to Shawn.
bluefiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
That dyno looks interesting. It looks like you take off the wheels of the car for it? Does it attach to the axles of the vehicle? Or what?
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure that is referred to BHP or Brake Horsepower if you remove just the wheels.

Wheels cost horsepower, some people say that a manual transmission has a 15% loss, but believe it or not, accelerating the mass of the wheels themselves is a big part of the loss.

RWHP, FWHP or WHP refers to the power delivered from the wheels to the ground.

Just a little nit pic that I have with horse power numbers.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

I burn my own chips.

How hard is it to burn your own chips and what's involved?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:

That dyno looks interesting. It looks like you take off the wheels of the car for it? Does it attach to the axles of the vehicle? Or what?

The wheels come off and it bolts to the hubs.

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Wheels cost horsepower, some people say that a manual transmission has a 15% loss, but believe it or not, accelerating the mass of the wheels themselves is a big part of the loss.

The drivetrain loss is significantly more than the wheel mass. Do the calculations. You'll come up with ~5-7 ft lbs (depending on wheel/tire size) at the rate they are accelerating at on the dyno in fourth gear (which is what gear the testing was done in).
The shop I dynoed my car at also has a Dynojet roller dyno. They have tested both dynos to compare readings. A car that put down 196 hp on the Dynojet put down 206 on the Dynapack.. That's close to the same power I put down. I estimate my "Dynojet" power is probably somewhere around 210. It's not a percentage loss since we're just talking about wheel mass.. they require a static amount of power to accelerate.
Note that the Dynapack load is varied to keep acceleration rate the same. This makes it easier to work out the interial losses if you want to correct for them.

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

I'm pretty sure that is referred to BHP or Brake Horsepower if you remove just the wheels.

BHP is horsepower at the crankshaft. There is significant power loss through the transmission gears and differential. To be absolutely technical I should be referring to this as "HHP" (hub horsepower). But it really doesn't matter... every dyno out there, even all the roller dynos, produce results that vary +/- 20 hp or so.

Originally posted by AquaHusky:
How hard is it to burn your own chips and what's involved?

You need a chip burner ($50), an EEPROM ($10), software (I use TunerPro, there is a free version), and a definition file for your ECM's software which is specific to the motor. I put together a definition file from a list of parameters I downloaded from 60degreev6.com.
Browse around moates.net, they sell most of the stuff.
You'll also need to understand how all the parameters work, and how to understand the diagnostic data you get so you know what to tune. Here's some good reading:
http://www.customefis.com/GMEFI.html

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 07-18-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock