Temp Sensor resistance??? by NextFiero
Started on: 04-18-2007 07:39 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: NextFiero on 04-21-2007 09:42 AM
NextFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I know that someone (dodgerunner?) posted this a few weeks ago...but I can't find it to savve my life. I am trying to find the numbers for normal coolant temp sensor resistance using my voltmeter. I figured i could do some math and guesstimate my actual temp when she is running. The guage shows I am close to, or overheating most of the time, but I am skeptical. i am trying to find a way to get the aprox. temp without spending $50 ona laser thermometer or an ALDL cable. Plus this will help me be sure all of my temp sensors are working right. Please help if you know what the resistance should read cold/hot. And if you want to hit me with sensor positions on a duke...That would be greatly appreciated too. thanks guys.
-B

------------------
D: "We'll just give it the smoke test."
B: "What's the Smoke test?"
D: "Turn it on...and see if it smokes"
---The above is from an actual Fiero repair conversation. Names have been omitted to protect the ignorant.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
COOLANT MANIFOLD AIR

Resistance
Ohms @ deg. f/c
13,500 @ 20/ -7
7500 @ 40/4
3400@70/20
1800@100/38
450@160/70
185@210/100

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

88 coupe t-top #656 1 of only 339 base coupes made FOR SALE
85 t-top BEING PARTED
87gt parts car
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

NextFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Wiccantoy, what about above 210...my temp guage is showing the old Dukie hovering at 220 with the fan via a/c controls. if I turn off the fan she quickly goes up to 240ish and it is not even close to summer temps here in TX. I am getting nervous. Thanks again, I will chek the resistance on all sensors tomorrow after work...argh work is really cutting into my fiero time

------------------
---The above is from an actual Fiero repair conversation. Names have been omitted to protect the ignorant.

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Better late than never..

NextFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post
I knew it was you who had posted that list Thanks! I am hoping this will anwer a few questions I have.
--B
NextFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post
OK, So what about the transducers?? The little guys mounted in the top of the duke and the back that have the square plugs? Is there a way to test those? WHen I ran my ohmeter to them they did not register. My coolant fan does not seem to be coming on unless I turn the the a/c on and I am spooked about summer. I am struggling b/c I do not know if I have an accurate engine temp and I am trying to avoid buying an ALDL or laser thermometer right now. I tried to use my Ohmeter last night to test the temp sensor in the thermo housing and run the numbers to find an aproximate engine temp...but those pins in there are so small could not get an accurate reading. Any advice boys? Do I just need to bite the bullet and but the ALDL or thermometer? I am hemmoraging money into this car.
Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by NextFiero (edited 04-20-2007).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Here is a free ALDL program that will work an all fieros except 87-88 2.5's. The parts to make the cable are only about 10 bucks. There is a diagram to make it there also. If you are interested.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Just build an ALDL cable. Cost less than 10 bucks.

http://couleefiero.tripod.com/ALDL.htm

Then get Winaldl software for free.

http://winaldl.joby.se/

All you need is a computer with a serial port (or a serial port/USB adapter which bumps the cost a bit)
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Great minds think alike! We must have been typing it at the same time. lol
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
First of all realize that there are three temperature sensors on the 84-86 Duke,

one is connected to the ECM,
the second controls the gauge and the light,
and the third controls the fan.

I discovered on my 84 duke that someone had replaced the fan switch with a solid plug and hot wired the fan to be on all the time. I replaced the fan switch and undid the hacked wiring, and running the car with the a/c off it took a long time to heat up enough for the fan to come on, but it eventually did.

NextFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post
FIrst--I tried to build an ALDL afew weeks ago and my local radio shack did not have one of the transisitors I needed, don't remember which one...did not carry it. Perhaps I need to try again using the parts on the page above--it lists numerous transistors that work.

Second--the coolant fan temp switch on my duke has a square top...the ECM switch (which I had to replace twice because of a faulty first one) has an oblong top. RIGHT? Do all of these switches have the same resistance? It looks like my best bet is the ALDL...and I am going to have to buy a USB converter
I am no longer working for "the man"...or the wife... I am working for "the Fiero"

Next BIG project is some serious A/C work during the hot TX summer. Hope you boys are ready for more questions.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NextFiero (edited 04-20-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Good luck on the A/C... I haven't even begun to think about that on my 84, too many other things to worry about.
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
How are you testing it using the multimeter. I need to test mine too.
NextFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

How are you testing it using the multimeter. I need to test mine too.

That is part of the problem. On the sensor that is on the Thermostat housing (the one that goes to the ECM) you can carefully test the two prongs...I had trouble with accuracy due to the angle and the size of the pins. My question above was asking if you should be able to do the same with the square headed "sensors". The ones that run the guage and the emergency light. ANybody know if you can test these with the multimeter?
-b
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2007 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NextFiero:

My question above was asking if you should be able to do the same with the square headed "sensors". The ones that run the guage and the emergency light. ANybody know if you can test these with the multimeter?
-b

Yes you should be able to. To check that sensor you have to put one meter lead to ground and the other on the sensor pin. Only one pin will read resistance since the other pin it a switch that closes at a high temp. The gauge one should read resistance like the ecm one does but not the values for a given temp. Their normally 1365 ohms at 100* and 55 ohms at 260*.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-21-2007).]

NextFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2007 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again Dodgerunner. I will check them out ASAP.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock