Started on: 03-12-2006 05:31 PM
Replies: 118
Last post by: black88fiero on 04-12-2007 09:30 PM
ohio86se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Well its been a long haul since I started this 3800sc swap Feb 2005 but now Im getting down to the wire. Ive taken alot of pictures and will be posting later.
I havent done a real good job of posting my swap into one central thread but I plan to. Ive been spending every spare minute actually doing the work.

Here are some pictures of the engine sitting on the cradle.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Direct Link to This Post
Awesome, Thats a damn nice engine ya got there

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Well its in

here is a shot of the clearance Ive got at the alternator at the trunk wall. No problem here.

Here is a shot at the passenger firewall at the 97gtp cruise unit mounted

More to come

------------------

magot

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for magotSend a Private Message to magotDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Keep it up
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get those chrome bolts for the SC and valve covers?

Can we see some pics of how you resolved the clutch slave / arm hitting the exhaust?

Loyde

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
I got the bolts from http://alloyboltz.com/catalog/index.php.

Here are some pictures of my solution for the shift linkage modification.
As posted in //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071049.html the though on the gear selection cable is slightly longer but not very noticable. I went through a number of eterations before coming up with this setup. I only had to drill on hole into the existing shift bracket.The leverage arm is slightly longer giving you more leverage but the travel is slightly longer. I was able to maintain adjustablity at the tranny. I well try to come up with better detail later.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-12-2006).]

PCTECH

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2006 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PCTECHSend a Private Message to PCTECHDirect Link to This Post
Great write up. Looks like there was alot of research done on the swap before you even started. You get a + in my book. Keep the Pictures coming. 3800 swap threads never get old.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Loyde,
I will get some pictures of the clutch arm and the slave cylinder at the exhaust and crossover but I dont foresee any clearance problem.

Ill post them later after I get home from work.

------------------

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
What trans do you have there?

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

Super Bowl XL CHAMPS!!!

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Im running the 4 speed muncie with a spec clutch

------------------

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
That is some beautiful work you've done there.
PFF
System Bot
STRATOHACKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STRATOHACKERSend a Private Message to STRATOHACKERDirect Link to This Post
Rick,
That is looking great!!!
Hope Ivy and I get a chance to see it this summer sometime.
Rich

------------------

85 GT 4-speed
3.4 pushrod, 390 Holley carb, Edlebrock intake, MSD 6A ignition. 04 Gran Prix exhaust tips, Ported manifolds and lots more to go.
Richey

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Well some progress tonite. I installed the clutch slave and depress the clutch pedal .....everything feels just right.

Here are some pictures showing zero clearance problems between the clutch arm and the exhaust. I has plenty of room as the pictures depect.

I also had to modify the flywheel inspection cover plate off of the fiero to fit around the 3800sc block. Ill post pictures of that tommorow. I also fished the wiring for the ECM through the access hole in the firewall. What a pain that was. I have roughly routed the rest of the wires and it appears my estimates so far have been correct as far as the lengths of the wires so as to hide them as much as possible.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-13-2006).]

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Well, that is interesting on the clutch arm. Must be a 5 speed thing that it does not clear, or, I have not installed any stock 3800 exhaust manifolds on a 5 speed car to know if it works or not. It sure does not work with SLP or TOG's.. Been there done those on manuals.

Loyde

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Loyde,
Ive seen the TOG headers and it does appear that the pipes in the area of the slave are much larger and they hug the tranny so they can clear the TB ,so the will interfere. The stock GTP crossover has a bumped up portion in the area of the slave cylinder.....how convenient.

Im pretty new to Fieros so I know next to nothing about the 5 speed configurations.

More to come.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-14-2006).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
that looks purdy.........
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
bump..

Need a little help with partnumbers of new axles. I ordered new axles from AZ. Well the left at p/n 8437 seems to be correct but the right one at 8414 is about 1.5" short. AZ computer says the correct p/n fo the right side is 8414. I did some research and found that the 87 Cavilier right side axle is 8425 and the left is 8437. Arent the axles on the cavelier 2.8 4 speed the same as the Fiero v6 4 speed?

later edited:
Nevermind i figured it out .....boy I must really be getting tired. It seems that my old axle was in it extended position and the new axle being new and stiffer was in its compressed postition.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-14-2006).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
So wait, back that up. What are you doing for axels like from start to finish?
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Tranny should just use plain ole Fiero axles. My isuzu worked out that way.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Hey Rick,
that sure came out perty. Good job and cant wait to see/hear it running. SC
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2006 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Im using the stock axles for the Fiero since Im going with the Fiero tranny its just that I thought i had gotten the wrong ones from AZ. But they were correct. I just wanted out new ones in.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Im using the stock axles for the Fiero since Im going with the Fiero tranny its just that I thought i had gotten the wrong ones from AZ. But they were correct. I just wanted out new ones in.

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Hey Rick,
that sure came out perty. Good job and cant wait to see/hear it running. SC

Thanks SuperchargeedV6
Im hoping to get life into this thing this weekend or early next week. With or without an exhaust. Ill probably rig an exhaust just dumped of the down pipe just to get it started.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-16-2006).]

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2006 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
That looks great, Rick! Did you ceramic-coat the exhuast or is that paint?

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 11-16-2007).]

TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2006 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
Awesome Rick, can't wait to see it at the meetings.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Cleveland Fiero Club

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

That looks great, Rick! Did you ceramic-coat the exhuast or is that paint?

Its high temp paint with "ceramic" . Ive wrapped the manifolds and painted them.

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by TG oreiF 8891:

Awesome Rick, can't wait to see it at the meetings.

thanks Tom.......

------------------

TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

thanks Tom.......

I am no longer incognito...

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
It's ok..........Joyce had to tell me who you were............I didn't figure it out........

------------------

FieroGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeorgeSend a Private Message to FieroGeorgeDirect Link to This Post
Rick,

Motor looks awesome, can't wait to see it!!!

George

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
bump....for me

Well its running....WOWW

Still dont have the exhaust or the CAI completed but boy does this some strong. Very smooth with no vibration. The engine is steady with no rocking.

BTW....The duct tape on the snout is to protect it from being hit buy the hood bracket....

More later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-24-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Just some shots of the gauge readings with this engine running at idle for 15 minutes. Everything looks good.

Ill will be putting together a video of it running hopefully tommorow.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Just a little back tracking here. Before I even attempted to start the engine I primed the oil pump. I used the method that I found I one of DarthFiero's build threads.

I quote

Last but not least, I had to make sure to prime the oil pump. While this can be done in the car, I prefer to do it with the engine sitting outside the car in case oil pressure will not build with cranking alone. I did get the oil pressure to come up with just cranking, but if you can't, you will need to manually prime the oil pump.
There are several ways to do this but the easiest I have found is to do the following:
1) Take your oil filter off (or use a new one), you will several holes around the outside of the large threaded hole. These outside holes typically have a rubber seal under them that act as a 1-way check valve. I recommend using a piece of a plastic wire tie and sticking it thru one of the holes to prop open the check valve. IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP THE OIL PUMP WILL NOT PRIME. Fill the oil filter with oil and reinstall.
2) Remove the oil pressure sender and thread in a hose barb connection. It really doesn't matter what size barb you use so long as it has the correct thread for the hole. Connect a length of clear tubing to the barb fitting and connect the other end to a funnel.
3) Pour motor oil into the funnel and fill the clear tubing and approx 1/2 of the funnel. If necessary, have an assistant help you.
4) Using a rachet, socket, or equiv, turn the crankshaft counterclockwise (backwards) slowly. The oil level in the funnel and tube should begin to drop. Once the oil level gets down towards the sender fitting on the engine, STOP. Be sure not to suck air into the sender hole.
5) Disconnect your hose and fittings and reinstall the sender. At this time you can also remove the plastic wire tie from the oil filter and reinstall it.
6) Disable the ignition and fuel systems and crank the engine until oil pressure comes up.
There you have it, my "easy" way of priming the oil pump.

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Awhile back I thought I had discovered a less expensive way to go with the valve cover gaskets to avoid being over charged for a set that would include the grommets...... Well that was a bad idea. The cheap ones shown below in blue didnt have all the curved shapes to go around the injector radii in the valve cover. When I tryed to get them to fit....well I broke one gasket. I started calling around I found that GM stocks the gaskets without the grommets. I could have sworned that I called them first awhile back.
In the picture already installed into the valve cover you see the dark grey gasket I got from GM. Perfect fit. The cost of the cheap one was about $6 and the GM was $9. The part number for GM is 24503937.

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Here are the exhaust tips I will be using when I build my exhaust.
They are the Hedman brand pn 17107. 2 1/2" in with dual 2 1/2" outs 14" long.
Im hoping they will tame the exhaust a bit hooked up to the Spintec muffler

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-25-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Updated signature.

Only a slight change. Can you see whats different?

------------------

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
That is one nice set-up from top to bottom, Glad its all coming toghther for you......
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
As far as the throttle and the cruise cable. I utilized the v6 throttle cable and just snipped off the crimped on loop and put a cable nut in its place. I had to open up the slot on the GTP bracket to accept the cable head and trim the cable plastic a bit to clear the cruise cable head. Im using the stock GTP cruise unit and cable. Ill still need to add a hold down of some sorts to the throttle head.

I must admit that the throttle cable's length is a little short but I do achieve full throttle and idle stop but I would like to see a little more sheave length it would not rub on the rear valve cover.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-25-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

That is one nice set-up from top to bottom, Glad its all coming toghther for you......

Thanks....
Youll have to come down and here it.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Hey Rick,
That sure came out perty. Good job and cant wait to see/hear it running. SC

Well its running. Its not on the road so if you want to hear it run before the Barn you'll have to come to Akron.
I will be putting together a video with sound later today.

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
bump

Here is a link to my 3800sc running. In the video I took a shot of the gauge readings and a glass of water on of the engine to illustrate the smoothness

http://media.putfile.com/ohio86se-3800sc

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 07-04-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave