Started on: 07-19-2005 05:33 AM
Replies: 64
Last post by: Nurb432 on 06-23-2007 06:15 PM
slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bradester:

Here kitty kitty kitty!

Looks pretty good. Especially up close.
Good Job.
Rick

Edit: My first page 2 ownage....hehehe

[This message has been edited by slickrick2000 (edited 12-03-2005).]

IP: Logged
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2005 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post

Wow, thats a sharp paint job for just spray cans. 2 thumbs up for you!

Josh

shiroshi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shiroshiSend a Private Message to shiroshiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

hmm... this only encourages me to spray can my 88 coupe..

ditto. i was only going to spray can primer my car and then take it to a cheap place to get it painted.
i don't need a show quality paint job just something to get it to one color. i've read on here not to use
spray can primer, now i don't know what to do. i'm sanding my car right now, so should i take it to a
place like maaco to spray primer on it. how much would they charge?

i would do it myself just for the experience but what's the smallest air compressor i need? i saw some
paint guns on Eastwood Company website that looked decent. i need to decide wether i want to spend
the money on equipment and paint it myself or pay maaco to do it. any thoughts?

s...

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
best rattle job i ever seen that wasnt matt black
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Why didn't you make the silver really glossy. Nonetheless, the paint job exactly reflects $164, which doesn't look shabby since the before pic was hedious.
GDS-1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2006 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GDS-1Send a Private Message to GDS-1Direct Link to This Post
Actually, you can get a decent can paint job...I've been putting 2 coats of primer on my spare front facia and planning to put 2 to 4 coats of gloss black paint. After which I'll be putting on a couple of coats of laquer and gloss...and so far it's not looking too bad (I'm just a newbie).

The spray can can be your friend, as long you put down more than one coat of paint. And use gloss/laquer...

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtowner:

Why didn't you make the silver really glossy. Nonetheless, the paint job exactly reflects $164, which doesn't look shabby since the before pic was hedious.

I didn't want the car really silver glossy, because my other car (totally restored 1970 Oldsmobile 442) is a bright silver and black and I didnt want them the same.

------------------
-Brady

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
you did a great job,really looks nice.and for all the people saying you should have gone out and bought a spray gun and shot it with single stage auto anamel , duplicolour is single stage auto enamel and all fieros were painted at the factory with a base ,colour, and clear coat paint job.changing from either system to a factory paint job is still going to mean sanding off the existing paint.
RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
The gun metal part looks great! The black is a little uneven but not bad. Overall, I say, great job.

------------------

85 GT 4 SPD
Best 1/4 15.816 @ 84.72
lights mods

'00 GTP
stock... for now

fierohome.tripod.com

2.8-4spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2006 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.8-4spdSend a Private Message to 2.8-4spdDirect Link to This Post
Check out the fifty dollar paint job! its works. I have been trying it on some spare panels. take it for whats its worth.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Forrest

[This message has been edited by 2.8-4spd (edited 03-17-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2006 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.8-4spd:

Check out the fifty dollar paint job! its works. I have been trying it on some spare panels. take it for whats its worth.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1& vc=1

Forrest

Hi, They said your bandwidth was exceeded--was looking forward to seeing it.....Bradester nice job on the Fiero......

PFF
System Bot
Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800superfast:
Hi, They said your bandwidth was exceeded--was looking forward to seeing it.....Bradester nice job on the Fiero......

Well now I want to try the Tremclad / Rustoleum stuff too!

------------------
-Brady

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Bradester

236 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Im thinking Im going to do the car in the Rustoleum Anodized Bronze or Royal Blue and Black. Wish me luck!!! This is the paint. Im going to do a little more research though since the cars are plastic and not metal though: http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1&dds=16
------------------
-Brady

[This message has been edited by Bradester (edited 07-26-2006).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Nice job! Looks sooo much better then before!
Kanonen80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kanonen80Click Here to visit Kanonen80's HomePageSend a Private Message to Kanonen80Direct Link to This Post
Looks great man!

Just wanted to let ya know that my father and I rattlecanned the top of his van two years ago and it still looks like it did when we first sprayed it! Good prepping goes a long way and it looks like you did a great job.
Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kanonen80:

Looks great man!

Just wanted to let ya know that my father and I rattlecanned the top of his van two years ago and it still looks like it did when we first sprayed it! Good prepping goes a long way and it looks like you did a great job.

Thanks! But now Im ubber curious of the Rustoleum idea though, as that paint is thicker and harder then what I did. I just dont know if it's meant to go on a plastic car instead of metal.

------------------
-Brady

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
guy has a phot album with some close ups - with enough sanding and polishing it seems to really work well
http://photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/?start=0

if you got marine paint instead of rustoleum it'd be even more durable. but $$$

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-27-2006).]

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post
Merry Christmas to me! My car is currently inthe shop getting a full paint job for the next 10-14 days! It's going to be Chryser's 2006 Silver Steel Metallic and Black.

My rattle-can job lasted pretty good. The paint did start to flake off around the sail panels and gas door, but for the price it was fun and lasted better then I thought it would. I'll post some pics of the new improved when its out of the shop!

-Brady
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to your pics---I like that color--we have had some come through the shop--how bad of a hit on the wallet is it going to be--if you don`t mind me asking....
Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's $4k and show quality. It includes taking the car completely apart and painting the pieces individually, new sail panels, the black trim, the engine covers, the door jams, under the hood, under the trunk, fixing the headlights, taking apart the doors and rebuilding the mechanics, re-tinting the windows, new dew wipes, raising the back bumper; and spraying the front of the car with a 7-layer spray-on clear bra that is totally chip resistant, so strong you can hit the car with a wrench and it wont leave a mark.
Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Looking forward to your pics---I like that color--we have had some come through the shop--how bad of a hit on the wallet is it going to be--if you don`t mind me asking....

Well, here is the car as of today. Believe me, my camera phone does not do the paint justice and it hasnt been buffed yet either!
-Brady

------------------
-Brady

PFF
System Bot
Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

A continuation and update of this thread has been started here! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/065717.html

------------------
-Brady

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I'm a fan of rattle can paint jobs, looks good. I think I'd run black over those rocker panel covers again, there is uneven spots. If you found some clear that was compatible with the paint you used, and put a coat of clear on, no one would know it wasn't professional. That is a good color to be semigloss though too. Wow I bet this thread went farther than you thought it would!

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-22-2007).]

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2007 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'm a fan of rattle can paint jobs, looks good. I think I'd run black over those rocker panel covers again, there is uneven spots. If you found some clear that was compatible with the paint you used, and put a coat of clear on, no one would know it wasn't professional. That is a good color to be semigloss though too. Wow I bet this thread went farther than you thought it would!

If you look at the posting above yours, you will see a link that shows the car is no longer rattle-canned :-)

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-23-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Not trying to convince anyone to go to Maaco but I've gotten some near excellent jobs at the local shop here on cars that we've done good prep work on. Bring them a good surface to paint and the job comes out great. Bring them a rough worn finish and they'll just paint right over it!!!.
Trouble is that many Maacos employ cheap low priced ignorant labor so the results can be very inconsistant from place to place. It just so happens that the son of the owner of the Maaco here does all of the painting and he is quite skilled with the gun. The "grunt work" is done by the labor force previously mentioned .
Getting back to the subject of this post, the "rattle can" paint job shown here looks pretty good and if it makes the owner happy, then he's found his solution.

I agree it depends a lot on the owner. Back in the early 80's my dad owned a Maaco shop. The garbage they put out now at many stores would never see the light of day at our place. He just wouldnt allow it.

Was it as good as a 3000 job? No, but it looked decent and lasted.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock