Pics to identify between 4T60 & 4T60E help please by countach711
Started on: 10-18-2006 08:49 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Fiero2m8 on 10-20-2006 01:15 AM
countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
to E or not to E, that is the question. I searched for hours last night and could find no definative photos to identify a 4T60 as opposed to a 4T60E. I have taken photos of what I was told is a 4T60, but I have my doubts.

Here's an overall picture:

Here's another pic, showing the I.D. label:

I looked it up in a chart and think this means it's a 1997, because of the 7AF number

Another pic that gives me hope:

This sticker dates 1995 or 1996, but also implies a rebuild. Sorry for the burrliness, but that is the date on the sticker.

Here's a side view for any of you gurus to identify items which may pertain to one, but not the other. If there is photographic evidence, could someone please Photoshop an arrow or circle the item that helps to identify one from the other?

Some of the evidence I have gathered myself indicating this is NOT a 4T60:

1. The axles Joe traded me from his 4T60E seem to fit ~ good / BAD news for me...
2. I can't find 440 anywhere, which is supposedly stamped on the body of all 4T60 trannys somewhere..

Some of the evidence it MAY BE a 4T60:

1. There is no 4T60E on the bottom of the tranny anywhere that I can find (threads say it is there).

I hope this isn't too hard for you all...

[This message has been edited by countach711 (edited 10-19-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The "E" version does have a vacuum modulator. (I made the same mistake as you, before I became acquainted with my 4T60E.)
The 4T60 (non-"E") will have a TV cable, similar to the fiero 125C.
I believe that the "E" has like a 7 pin connector, aside from the P/N switch.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-18-2006).]

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

(I made the same mistake as you, before I became acquainted with my 4T60E.)

so this means you think this is a 4T60E? Because you don't see a TV cable, or why? Still at a loss here....
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The mistake I was referring to was the modulator valve. Thinking the 4T60E didn't have one.

The "E" will not have a TV cable, or any provisions for one.

I can take some pics of mine, in the car, if you think it will help.
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
Raydar, if it shows where the TV cable is connected to the trans, otherwise I'm not sure it would help me but thanks for the offer. I wish I knew why this was such brain damage for me...
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4t60 setting in my garage that is going to go into my 88 in the future after I put the rebuild kit in it. I can post a pic later today if someone else does not before then. the TV cable is the key to knowing. I pulled mine from a Cutless Cierra for $35. The tag on mine is partly missing, knocked part of it off power washing the trans when I got it.
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
Yea, I found pics in the mall, and they don't look like my tranny! Dodgerunner, if you would be so kind as to post a pic or two for people who are searching this topic in the future, that would be cool.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
4t60 has 19 bolts on the transmission pan
4t60e has 20.

60:

60e:
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
There's a positive for you Mr. Hess! Now if we can get a topside picture we'll have it covered for junk yard scavangers such as we are....
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
4T60 transmission.

The label.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

Raydar, if it shows where the TV cable is connected to the trans, otherwise I'm not sure it would help me but thanks for the offer. I wish I knew why this was such brain damage for me...

Sorry. Mine is the "E" version and doesn't have the TV cable. Not much to see.

Looks like Ryan and Dodgerunner have got it knocked, though. Good info!
PFF
System Bot
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
thanks for the awesome pic and Photoshopping Dodgerunner! That is decisive evidence. They actually don't even look close. The entire driver's end on the 4T60 looks like stamped metal while the '4T60E' is cast aluminum like the rest of the case. BIG DIFFERENCE! Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully this will help others out in the future, too! Looks like I'm yard surfing this weekend.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

They actually don't even look close. The entire driver's end on the 4T60 looks like stamped metal while the '4T60E' is cast aluminum like the rest of the case. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Don't be fooled by the side cover. 4T60-E's also were available with a stamped-steel side cover as well as the cast aluminum piece. As others have said earlier, the 4T60-E will have no provisions for a TV cable and the VSS sensor is much smaller than what is used on the 440-T4/4T60. The reason why the VSS housing is so large on the 4T60/440-T4 is because the shift governor is under it, like on the Fiero's 125-C.

Now concerning the ID tag, I would pay more attention to the metal tag affixed to the case than the label stuck on the side pan cover. Somebody could have easily swapped out side covers but the tag is not easily changed. To decipher your ID tag for 4T60-E's and 4T65-E's, check out my web page here: http://dtcc.cz28.com/transmission/index.htm

-ryan

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Computer Tuning | Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Lots of pics of my 4T60 in my build

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock