Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Need help! Engine and Tranny Mounts for LT1 on 88 cradle!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need help! Engine and Tranny Mounts for LT1 on 88 cradle! by spookything
Started on: 10-16-2006 01:12 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: cyrus88 on 10-21-2006 12:38 AM
spookything

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to do a repeat post but I think my subject line was not clear enough and I really would appreciate some input before I go in blindly.

After a slight change in direction on my 1984 LT1 Fiero, I am in the beginning stages of installing the LT1 drive train on a 1988 cradle. The cradle will be installed in a 1984 Fiero. I have already completed the cradle retrofit on another Fiero so that is not an issue. What is an issue is the placement of the drive train on the newer style sub frame.

I am using a Zumalt kit sold by Zumalt, not a copy for better or worse. This moves the engine two inches to the left. Archie kits for the LT1 also move the engine to the left so info on both kit installations would be helpful and relevent.

I can use the front transmission mount with no issues I think. I am pretty sure I have to cut a notch in the cradle to clear the transmission just like on the 1984 cradle. I am not sure how the right hand motor mount will be installed. I am also not sure about the rear left transmission mount. Please post pictures if you have them of these mounts and any notching that was needed.

LT1 Fiero and California Kid please post any pics you have.

Thanks

Rick

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Give Zumalt a call and see what he recommends.
spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
Nice, really helpful. I see another Archie sycophant. Anyone not from the peanut gallery?

Rick

Edited because I was corrected further down by one of the sycophants.

------------------

[This message has been edited by spookything (edited 10-17-2006).]

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
HAHA!, On this forum? Your either gonna get a "Throw it away and call Archie" or "re-engineer it"

I'm convinced that anyone that has this kit or similar has left the forum or stays quiet in fear of being lynched by the Archieists ( haha, new name )

Check P.M.'s.....

------------------
Former West Coast Fiero Employee

New and Pre-Owned Auto Sales Consultant
Power Ford Valencia

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by spookything:

Nice, really helpful. I see another Archie sicophant. Anyone not from the peanut gallery?

Rick

You said it was sold by Zumalt, and not a copy, so I assumed you had contact info.
There are a few Zumalt kit owners on here, but I don't remember who. CaliforniaKid's car was based on a Zumalt kit but has been heavily modified, so I don't know how much help info on that setup would be.

If Zumalt isn't available, try contacting a vendor that sells a Zumalt clone kit. I'm sure if anyone here has a Z-kit they'll speak up.

By the way, it's spelled sycophant. Your puerile barbs will be more effective if you actually learn how to spell them.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-16-2006).]

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Direct Link to This Post
I have pictures of what you want, I just have to find them and it may take me a few days, but I do have the picture for the engine mount. They are not very clear, but I will post clear ones when I find one.

[img=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8853/picture026xl6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9476/picture025im9.th.jpg]

[img=http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7787/picture024cl3.th.jpg]

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 10-16-2006).]

spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
I thought this was a car site not an English class. I was in no way using words that I do not use in regular life.

Since you had to edit your post for it to be in its present form, I can see that your spelling or thought process is not perfect either. I own a word processor with a spell check as well as a dictionary and thesaurus too. I just thought this was not "for marks".

My Zumalt kit is old. Purchased many years ago by the guy from whom I purchased it. I purchased an unfinished project and finished it. It was a good deal for almost everything I wanted. I still think that in the case of the LT1 a thinner adapter plate is a better idea. You end up moving and cutting similar ways with both kits but you have .5 of an inch less drive train to wrestle.

Now, because I have ended up having to build a new car with the old drive train, I am asking a simple question, where did other people place their transmission and engine mounts? It is not that relevant which kit you are using, it is the cradle that is the most important, but sure I would prefer an exact match on the kit and the cradle.

Thanks

Rick

[This message has been edited by spookything (edited 10-17-2006).]

spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post

spookything

268 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Thank you for the pictures, they answer the questions on the engine mount.

Is the front transmission mount just bolted to the front crossmember with nothing special done to the cradle?

Is the rear transmission mount attached to a welded in step like the engine is?

THANKYOU

Rick

------------------

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Direct Link to This Post
Here are some more pictures:

Yes, the front tranny mount just bolts to the crossmember. The rear tranny mount bolts to a step. The step is 0.5" for both the tranny mount and the engine mount.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

The last image shows the top view of the engine mount. The red line shows the plate that is welded to the cradle (under the mount). The plate is the same size as the bottom plate of the engine mount. In the picture the engine mount extends beyond the plate that is welded to the cradle because I switched to an Archie style (thicker) transmission adapter plate.

I hope these pics help.

spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
Perfect,

Pics saved. I will copy what you did there, I am a month or two away from final assembly, but the cradle is what I want to work on next.

THANKYOU

Rick
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick, I could use some of the pictures to build my 9 year old Zumult Northstar kit I have. I bought it years ago from Zumalt but never had the time to accually install it into my 88. I need to know where to weld in the plates to support the front mount and the rear tranny mount, since the front tranny mount uses the stock mounting holes. I do have a second Zumalt Northstar kit on hand complete. People keep bringing those pictures so Rick and I can finally get our rides complete.

Joe

------------------

Race-Tech Automotive inc. & The Fiero Shop.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom 3800 and N* Aluminum flywheels, big Brakes, Engine rebuild, Aftermarket wheels, Bolt on performance parts, body enhancements, used Fiero parts, custom exhaust systems.
www.racetechauto.com

E-Mail racetech@bellnet.ca
Phone (416) 747-5728
141 Turbine Dr.
Toronto, Ontario, M9L 2S7

PFF
System Bot
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Direct Link to This Post
You are welcome Rick. Well, since I mentioned it, I am posting a picture of the Adapter plate drawing I made. I found out after the plate was made that the dimensions are a little bit off, so the plate would not fit perfectly without enlarging one of the bolt holes in the tranny. So, everyone who decides to use the dimensions shown: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I did my own just because I was curious, but the next time I need an adapter plate I will just buy one from Archie. Please forgive the amateur CAD drawing. It was my very first CAD drawing and I had never had drafting training, but you are welcome to laugh at it all you like .

I ended up cuting the rectangular portion (numbered 2) to clear the cradle crossmember. When I made that drawing I didn't know where to locate the starter, so I located the starter after the plate was fabricated. I cut out a 1" hole (numbered 1) for the starter gear after attaching the plate to the engine and attaching the flywheel. The hole for the starter gear shown in the CAD drawing is NOT in the correct location. I just drew the circle to show that I did cut out a hole for the starter gear.

Here is the adapter plate drawing:

and here is the plate and starter installed:

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 10-18-2006).]

spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to add one more question to this, How thick are the mount plates that you welded to the cradle? It looks like 3/8's of an inch but It would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks

Rick

------------------

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Direct Link to This Post
Sorry if I didn't make it clear earlier, but the plates welded to the cradle are 0.5" thick.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock