Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  84-87 Suspension. Different kinds of stock control arms?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

84-87 Suspension. Different kinds of stock control arms? by BrewCheese
Started on: 09-16-2006 04:06 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: partfiero on 09-17-2006 10:37 PM
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Today I finally made it to a local junkyard for the first time in a couple months and they had a pretty beat up 84 coupe there. As I was looking around I noticed the lower front control arm looks different then the control arm I have on my 87 GT. The control arm itself actually looked a little stronger to me. Did they make different lower (and maybe upper) control arms for different years?, and are any ones better then other ones?

Jason

Edit to add pictures:

84 Arm?

85-87 Arm?

[This message has been edited by BrewCheese (edited 09-16-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly the 84 arms are different from the 85-87 arms. I believe that someone had mentioned that the 84 arms were stamped out of a heavier gauge steel. I'm sure someone will pipe up with the information.

Nolan
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i thought the original 84 arms were made out of lighter steel and were prone to bending.just what i remember.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
That could be true, and I'm all mixed up.
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I can't quote on the strength but the 84 had a worse turning radius than the 85-87 cars. GM made an update in 85 and was able to reduce the turning radius. I have never really heard of any problems in either car with flexing or breaking.

I have considered boxing the control arms on my V8, but have not yet had a real reason to do it.
------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 09-16-2006).]

fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not, they are interchangeable. I fitted a 1984 lower control arm to a 1987 gt with very little trouble.Had to, because it was all I had. Made no apparent difference to the steering, and that was nearly 2 years ago.
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Growing old is harder than growing up.
Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

Fiero_Freak

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero_FreakDirect Link to This Post
I guy in the local club switched out just one due to a bent arm. The spring seat is higher, making the car sit uneven. Just just put the other 84 arm and and is still driving on them.

------------------
Dana Mitchell
Member of the Gateway Fiero Club
86 SE Red w/ Black 3.2L w/ T-440, 87 GT Maroon w/ Silver Auto, 87 GT Blue w/ 5-Speed
95 Impala SS, 95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon w/ Air Ride (In Paint)
07 Silverado Classic Crew Cab 5.3L, 06 HHR (wife's ride), 91 CBR1000F

BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info so far! Is one stronger or better then the other? Are the uppers different too or not?

Thanks,
Jason
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
The 84s are stronger in the bushing area for sure. When I built my 85GT I used them for that reason.
ken

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock