Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Does anyone have a copy of the tech bulletin to keep the manual mirror knob in place?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Does anyone have a copy of the tech bulletin to keep the manual mirror knob in place? by buddycraigg
Started on: 07-23-2006 08:19 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: buddycraigg on 11-10-2006 03:59 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a copy of the tech bulletin to keep the manual mirror knob in place?

I thought I saved a copy, or even posted it here on PFF when I worked at a place where I had access to alldata, but I cant find it.

And I haven’t done enough of them to remember what it looked like

Anyway I want to fix this door cause it just looks too sad on this nice of a car.

Thanks in advance.
------------------
Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 07-24-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
You mean to keep it from pulling out of the door panel? I made a backing plate out of 1/16" aluminum for mine. Didn't know there was an official fix.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
yep, GM has a tech buliten on it, they have a nice template that you use on some thin metal and cut it out and shape it to keep the inside door panel from pulling up.
MclarenF1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
So it's not just my car? YESSSSSS!!!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

So it's not just my car? YESSSSSS!!!

no, it was all of the manual mirror cars that had this problem.

GM came up with a fix for it,
you fabrecate and install a backing plate behind the door panel but i was hoping to find someone that had it so i didn't have to make one on the fly.
Fierobruiser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
One of the members of my club sells them. I see if I can't find his user name.

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own eight....errr...nine."

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, this won't help, but I solved the problem by fiberglassing the hole over and putting in power mirrors. What might help is if you glass over the hole, then cut out a new hole to mount the control knob. I don't hqave a clear pic of the knob portion, but it would be similar to how I filled the door handle openings:

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-24-2006).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobruiser:
One of the members of my club sells them.

EDIT
go down to my last post

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 07-25-2006).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Best I can do, but I'll do a little more digging. Alldata sucks, but I've got unlimited access. I love my job

Number 85-10-2 Date 7/86
Subject: FIERO DOOR TRIM PAD REPAIR

1985 FIERO WITH MANUAL REMOTE T-SIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
SOME 1985 FIEROS EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL REMOTE MIRROR MAY EXPERIENCE A SAG IN THE DOOR TRIM PANEL AT THE REMOTE MIRROR CONTROL LOCATION. THIS CONDITION CAN BE CORRECTED BY ADDING A REINFORCEMENT TO THE BACK OF THE TRIM PANEL AS FOLLOWS:

1. REMOVE DOOR TRIM PANEL AND PLACE TRIM SIDE DOWN ON CLEAN WORK SURFACE.

2. FROM A PIECE OF ALUMINUM APPROXIMATELY .020-.025 THICK, CUT A SECTION TO FIT ACROSS THE SAG AREA ON THE TRIM PANEL.

3. USING 3M STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE, 8101 OR EQUIVALENT, BOND REINFORCEMENT TO THE TRIM PANEL. IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO CLAMP REINFORCEMENT FOR INITIAL SET-UP.

4. REINSTALL TRIM PAD.

LABOR OPERATION: T1173
LABOR TIME : .8 HOURS

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 07-24-2006).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

Best I can do, but I'll do a little more digging. Alldata sucks, but I've got unlimited access. I love my job

Number 85-10-2 Date 7/86
Subject: FIERO DOOR TRIM PAD REPAIR

1985 FIERO WITH MANUAL REMOTE T-SIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
SOME 1985 FIEROS EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL REMOTE MIRROR MAY EXPERIENCE A SAG IN THE DOOR TRIM PANEL AT THE REMOTE MIRROR CONTROL LOCATION. THIS CONDITION CAN BE CORRECTED BY ADDING A REINFORCEMENT TO THE BACK OF THE TRIM PANEL AS FOLLOWS:

1. REMOVE DOOR TRIM PANEL AND PLACE TRIM SIDE DOWN ON CLEAN WORK SURFACE.

2. FROM A PIECE OF ALUMINUM APPROXIMATELY .020-.025 THICK, CUT A SECTION TO FIT ACROSS THE SAG AREA ON THE TRIM PANEL.

3. USING 3M STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE, 8101 OR EQUIVALENT, BOND REINFORCEMENT TO THE TRIM PANEL. IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO CLAMP REINFORCEMENT FOR INITIAL SET-UP.

4. REINSTALL TRIM PAD.

LABOR OPERATION: T1173
LABOR TIME : .8 HOURS

thank you,
i just found the TSB number on line and am having my friendly chevy dealership fax me a copy.
85102 JUL 86 Doors - Sag In Trim Panel At The Mirror Controls

but at least with this pic posted the next guy can find it easier.

+ to you my friend.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 07-24-2006).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Glad I could be of assistance.
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
What’s odd, is I would swear the thing I saw was a lot more complicated than that.
I definitely remember two small holes in it for the legs of the mirror knob base.
Maybe someone did a writeup on it, I guess I should have saved that link.

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

http://fieropride.com/forsale/parts_for_sale.htm

fewwww,
i thought your club member was selling copies of the TSB, that's why i was so shocked.

if he's selling a pre-made plates for 9 bucks, it's well worth the money, from the time involved making your own plate and the mess.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 07-25-2006).]

krackley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for krackleySend a Private Message to krackleyDirect Link to This Post

http://fieropride.com/forsale/parts_for_sale.htm

I ordered this, it is so worth the money. Check out the "After" picture.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks a LOT nicer than mine always has! But I installed power mirrors, so I just have the shell left there, still not sure what to do with it, or to replace the whole door panel or what...

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

krackley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for krackleySend a Private Message to krackleyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Wow, that looks a LOT nicer than mine always has! But I installed power mirrors, so I just have the shell left there, still not sure what to do with it, or to replace the whole door panel or what...

Did you install the power mirrors yourself?

I would probably replace the whole inside panel if I switched over to power mirrors.

Edited to change the word windows to mirrors (I'm a dummy).

[This message has been edited by krackley (edited 11-10-2006).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Car came with power windows, but I did install the mirrors myself. Make sure you get a complete setup from the same year range (white connectors = 84 or 85, black connectors 86-88). Hardest part was getting the harness through the rubber hose things between the body and the doors, and routing the harness into the door. The black connector with the orange wire plugs into the junction block WAY up under the driver's side of the dash, and the ground is on the passenger side, just 1 bolt shared with another ground.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I just have the shell left there, still not sure what to do with it, or to replace the whole door panel or what...

look in ogre cave, there is a writeup of putting a mirror contol switch there. i've thought about moving my mirror switch from the center console because i'm always setting stuff on the switch and my mirror gets moved.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-10-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock