Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Ideas for reinforcing 88 cradle for front tranny mount?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Ideas for reinforcing 88 cradle for front tranny mount? by Raydar
Started on: 07-20-2006 01:14 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: racer37 on 07-21-2006 03:43 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
In the next few weeks I'm going to be removing my 3.4 to swap in a Getrag and do a new cam and some top end work.
It occurs to me that the 2.8 with a Getrag has a history of cracking the cradle at the front tranny mount. Or so I've heard.
That being the case, I'm not sure that the cradle is up to the task of withstanding the abuse that the 3.4 can throw at it.
(I'm not going to be doing a lot of dragstrip launches, but I'm certainly not going to be babying it, either.)

I know that someone used to sell reinforcement plates, but he hasn't posted in... forever.
I'm thinking about a flat piece of steel, maybe 3/16"-1/4" thick, maybe a foot long, to fit inside the front cradle rail, where the front tranny mount attaches. The tranny mount studs will pass through this, as well.
My thinking is that this will help distribute the load a bit, and will prevent cracking and other nastiness.
It will just be held in place by the tranny mount studs/bolts. Not welded (since I don't know how to weld.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe................................................

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HarryG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
That might work.
Just be careful to make the insert narrow enough and bevel the top edges so there's no chance of the insert edges cutting into the inside of the cradle when you tighten the mount bolts.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I saw a "c" shaped sleve that went around the cradle where the front mount bolted, I just boxed mine lower rail in.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HarryG:
That might work.
Just be careful to make the insert narrow enough and bevel the top edges so there's no chance of the insert edges cutting into the inside of the cradle when you tighten the mount bolts.

Good point. Thanks!

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I saw a "c" shaped sleve that went around the cradle where the front mount bolted, I just boxed mine lower rail in.

I think the "C" shaped sleeve is the one that I was talking about, that the builder disappeared off the face of the earth.

Boxing the lower rail is great for torsional strength, but is that going to stop the top from tearing out?
I think that's usually where they fail.

Edit - I just looked at your 3800 thread. Excellent! Nice work.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-20-2006).]

88 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Boxing the rail would make the whole rail stiffer, subject to less bending under load, reducing metal fatigue, and related cracking. It's the little bit of flexing that leads to cracks.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I banged my 3.4 on 30% of my shifts for 4 years and never had a problem with it. You know my power #s. Now then the V8 came in and that's when problems arised in the first 500 miles. But with 344lbs rwTQ what can you expect? Here is what I did. Has worked perfectly for 6000 miles in my V8. You can get some local shop to weld it for you for cheap. Nothing fancy but strong.

Here you can see the cracks I had at the top. Those were welded too.

Finished product;

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
welded some angle to the frame then welded the tranny mount to more angle.
Here is the front tranny mount. It wont win an award but it should hold up.

Tom Piantanida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom PiantanidaSend a Private Message to Tom PiantanidaDirect Link to This Post
Here is the email address of a friend who makes reinforced front mounts.

briangeyer@hotmail.com
racer37

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racer37Send a Private Message to racer37Direct Link to This Post
I might know someone that can weld up a brace for you in exchange for maybe some adult beverages or some help with an 88 coupe..... If you give me a drawing of everything with the dimensions on it, I can make it and then you could bring the cradle to me and I will weld it on. PM me or email. Scott

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock