Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Trunk weatherstrip looks good.....hows the water getting in!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Trunk weatherstrip looks good.....hows the water getting in! by Gokart
Started on: 07-02-2006 04:59 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Gokart on 07-12-2006 04:45 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Weatherstrip has no tears or rips and seems to be in good condition

but I'm getting water in both bottom corners

I wonder if it comes in from this small gap by the top corner?

Anyone else have this problem?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I see a mass of wires coming through the "firewall", is that properly grometted?

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
I see a mass of wires coming through the "firewall", is that properly grometted?

Yes...that loom is tight in that hole and I used Tough-stuff foam around it. It cannot be coming from there anyway even if there was a gap because the water gets in straight in whenever it rains when the car is parked.....guess I should've added that

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Mine leaks through the wing mount holes. Do you have a wing?
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
having the same problem with a brand new seal, seem like it is coming on the back of the seal ( back of the car ) on each corner pretty bad design . maybe i'll have to change those two parts ( drip like ) on both side
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if anyone has ever set something up porus inside the trunk so we can narrow down where the leak starts? I might try this but I think removing the carpet would be necessary and it's a pita!

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:
Mine leaks through the wing mount holes. Do you have a wing?

Yes I do ... and I guess it could be! Did you solve the prob and how?

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 07-02-2006).]

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

Yes I do ... and I guess it could be! Did you solve the prob and how?

Sorry, I didn't ever get around to it as the car has been laid up in the garage for the last year and a half. Also I have a wing delete decklid I'm switching to. The only fix I can suggest is a bead of RTV on both sides of the pedestal rubber gasket.

I lived on Jerico's Path for a year and half in 1951-1953. Probably changed some tho. LOL

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If the D-plates at the corners of the trunk compartment are loose, the water could be getting in around those.
Or (I hope this isn't the case) the sides of the trunk compartment might be rusted through where the top side framerails are welded.

Or it could be the spoiler stud holes.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe................................................

Praise the Lowered! Read Nealz Nuze!

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
it seems to be a GT problem, i never hear the complant from nochie owners.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:I lived on Jerico's Path for a year and half in 1951-1953. Probably changed some tho. LOL

Off of Falmouth Heights...right?! If you owned you'll wish you still did! Property in that area would go for any where from 600,00 thru a million or two now (a mile from the beach)

Originally posted by Raydar:If the D-plates at the corners of the trunk compartment are loose, the water could be getting in around those. Or (I hope this isn't the case) the sides of the trunk compartment might be rusted through where the top side framerails are welded. Or it could be the spoiler stud holes.

No rust...yet. So I suspect the d-plates. That's the gap I show in the last pic above. I'm going to remove the carpet and line the well with some cardboard and maybe I'll find out for sure. Thanks Raydar!

Originally posted by buddycraigg:
it seems to be a GT problem, i never hear the complant from nochie owners.

Maybe because the weatherstrip and trunk opening are shaped differently?

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 07-02-2006).]

tharvey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tharveySend a Private Message to tharveyDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem and found my d-plates cracked on both sides. I re-sealed them and installed now dry as a bone for over 6 months. From what I have been told the trunks are identical and in order to make a gt trunk they install these d-plates on both sides to give it that square look. Apparently they easily get broken by people leaning into the engine compartment. To remove them you have about 4 screws on each side then pull the flat black part out that is on the inside opposite the sail panel. Once this part is out you will clearly see the d-plate and can repair or replace them.

One other possible I found on a friend's vehicle was a leak through the wing mounts where water was leaking in through the 4 mounting studs, but after seeing your pictures I really think it is the d-plates

tim
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
the front edge f the seal on the motor side. look at the seal. the lid has a rib that should be contacting it the whole length, you'll see the impression. your seal looks like mine did, it was not touching the seal thru most of the middle section.
the outer edge of the seal has a lip that is supported on the outer 6" by the wheel wells, but in thru the center, it is not, and the whole seal curls foward, and the rib is hanging in mid air. if that is your porblem you can get some round foam and silicone it under there to make a ledge to hold the seal up. whe the rib line is hitting the trunk seal all the way across, it should stop the leak. took me a while to figure that out.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Pluses for all! Thanks for the replies If I find the prob I'll post the results here.

------------------

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this will help--but when I did a Notchback to GT conversion, I had to install the d-plates, I call them sizing plates, anyway, I noticed on the GT that there is alot of sealant under & around them , then a gulley type track, that they sorta fit in, under & around the upper fast back section. I didn`t think much about it--except it was hard as all get out to remove that sealant, after that, I started having water in the trunk issues, so the best I could , I used clear silicone caulk (50 year stuff) where the factory sealant (dried out) was and it stopped the leak. You should be able to see it with the trunk rubber off, then look around/under the d-plates.
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post
You say it's comming from above but I wonder if have you ever removed the carpet or clip to see whats going on underneath. Thats your baby take maters into your own hands.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Hi everybody .
Does anyone can send a pic of those called D plates Please cause i am not familiar with those terms Thank you
Cause i have the same problem with a brand new seal .
FIEROFROSTBITE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFROSTBITESend a Private Message to FIEROFROSTBITEDirect Link to This Post
When I replaced the gasket in my GT, i noticed that the NOS gasket appeared to have shrunken over the years of storage. I made up six spreaders from scrap wood and "C" clamps. Then, I installed the gasket with plenty of RV sealant between the lip on the gasket and the body, installed the spreaders and let the sealant set up for 24 hours. The gasket has stayed water tight.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
ok, I edited your pic. the d plates go from the flat outer edges toward the outer fender, and are flat. you can reach up from underneath to feel the plate and the gasket around it.

I also pointed out the lid rib impression, you can see it on the rear seal, but I don;t see it at all on the foward seal, or if that slight line I do si is it, then there is a gap around the dogbone area.

jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
My 88GT has this problem and I have not driven in the rain...car has just been sitting in the driveway during heavy downpours. I noticed droplets of water on the underside of the decklid and noticed that the two forward wing studs are within perimeter of the weatherseal, but the two rear studs are aft (outside) of the weatherseal. I am hoping that I can seal these two studs with some rtv or something. I might test this theory by streching some plastic over the weatherstrip, closing the deck and run a water test with a garden hose.
No_Fiero_till_now72

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for No_Fiero_till_now72Send a Private Message to No_Fiero_till_now72Direct Link to This Post
^^ Great idea!

Tom
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I stripped everything out and then doused the deck lid. Turns out the gasket is not in the greatest shape! It has slitted/separated across the rear side. Looks like it comes in there.

Because of the slit I can see the gasket sags a bit there so I figure I'll try to build it back up. Taking advantage of the opening I bought some 3/8 foam pipe insulation. Cut it in half long way so it looks like this.

and tucked it up under the gasket.

I douced it again and no water in the trunk. This will get me by till I can convince the Mrs I need to spend another $175.00 for a new gasket I hope my fix may help someone else with this prob.
Marc
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock