Started on: 03-30-2006 11:38 PM
Replies: 116
Last post by: Archie on 09-15-2006 12:22 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
This should make me the owner of page 3

Well it'll fit into the Fiero a lot like the SBC bolted to the 6 speed will. However that would be the easy part.

Once again "It's the wiring" that will be the problem. From what I'm told the 3.9 has a computer language that no one in the aftermarket has figured out how to break yet. And those that have the equipment to get into that system are still trying to get into more popular aftermarket engines like the LS-7 & the LS4.

Archie

Originally posted by blackrams:

Archie,
You and your shop crew do some amazing and creative work. I hope to get back up there for another visit sometime. My quesstion is, is the G6 stock motor and 6 speed a viable swap. I've not heard of anyone using the 3.9 motor. I know this would not necessarily be a true performance swap but, I'm just thinking out loud.

IP: Logged
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
<memo to self>
self: try on friend's Z06 wheels to see if it allows for re-enabling the E-brake
</memo to self>

Awesome!

though these look good:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8055039375

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-15-2006).]

88swap

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88swapSend a Private Message to 88swapDirect Link to This Post
TTT
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I'm expecting the car home at the end of the week so I'll give driving impressions then before I start the engine swap/rebuild.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE!

The car is scheduled to arrive Sunday at 10PM.
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
its now 11pm on sunday looks like lou is out driving his car.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
It may be a week before we hear from him again. I know it would take a week to get the s--t eating grin off my face!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

UPDATE!

The car is scheduled to arrive Sunday at 10PM.

It left here on Saturday at 4:30pm.

A
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
LOL, the driver got caught up in construction traffic in Pennsylvania.
So he's gonna get a good night's sleep and be outside my house at 3:30pm when I get home from work.

I'm still waiting for the title to come so I can transfer it and put it on the road...
NJ85fieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NJ85fieroGTSend a Private Message to NJ85fieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Archie - Any estimate on pricing yet for a 6-speed conversion kit, or a full installed price?

------------------
Jesse
1985 Fiero GT
http://www.year2032.com/fiero/

KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
Axles, Archie. There is a man wanting to know which axles were used!

(I also want to know, hehe)

Keith
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NJ85fieroGT:

Archie - Any estimate on pricing yet for a 6-speed conversion kit, or a full installed price?

It's $4500 with another $150 for the V8... I think labor's in the mid 2K's...
NJ85fieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NJ85fieroGTSend a Private Message to NJ85fieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

It's $4500 with another $150 for the V8... I think labor's in the mid 2K's...

I'm hoping thats including the transmission.

Basically, This is what I would love to know. Not including the price of the engine, Having Archie do a full V8 install and going the 6-speed route, what would it run me?

------------------
Jesse
1985 Fiero GT
http://www.year2032.com/fiero/

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that includes a brand new tranny!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

lou_dias

5258 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Ok, it's home!

I've only driven it out of the trailer and into the driveway. Reverse is just like on the 4 speeds or where the getrag's first is. It felt quite peppy in reverse and first. Interior needs alot more work than I thought. Still waiting on the title to get it on the road legitimately.

Archie, did you leave the spacers on in the back?

Over all, considering the width of the wheels, I had no problems turning the wheels. Let's hear it for proper inflation. The shifting of gears is a bit noisy. I didn't notice much squeakiness from the suspension at all. The car feels light. It was easy to maneuver for the 30 seconds that I did, lol. I am so eager to put it through it's paces on some curves. I'll fix up the interior while I wait to put it on the road. I'm thinking some Fiero Store quarter scoops are in order as well.

I know the axle gear and first gear are slightly higher than the getrag's but I'm thinking the flywheel Archie used is lighter than stock as well. I just felt alot peppier and lighter on it's feet than a stock Fiero with 150+k miles on it... Does run a little rough. A roller 3.4 swap is right around the corner...

Many thanks to Archie for a job well done!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-01-2006).]

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Will there be a kit price for us folks that just need a kit to install it with our own tranny?
I quess it would basically be mounts, hydraulic adapter, master cylinder (if that needs changing) and clutch setups..
Am thinking the getrag with 150k and one unknown quality rebuild is only good for another 5k miles, so I would like to know what I have for options. I have some local sources for trannies that I can use to stockpile one since I am not in a rush right now.

Thanks Archie for all your info and build threads!!!

------------------
Tom
88 GT 2.8l 5spd
76 30' ChrisCraft Tournament S/F
who has time for anything else?
Vodka: it's not just for breakfast!!

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Hey Archie, I've followed this tread since the first day. Good job !!

I don't know if I'm forgeting something, but what did you use for the shifter set-up?? Did you do build a custom shifter assmbly?? Or took one from a existing vehicle??

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Bump...
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
so, for quick summary for anyone wanting to do a 6-spd:
what tranny is this?
and does it mount with stock mounts?
does stock clutch master/slave system work?
does stock shifter & cables work?
what axles work?

from what i read, looks like G6, no, yes, yes, custom
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

so, for quick summary for anyone wanting to do a 6-spd:
what tranny is this?
and does it mount with stock mounts?
does stock clutch master/slave system work?
does stock shifter & cables work?
what axles work?

from what i read, looks like G6, no, yes, yes, custom

The tranny is the G6 6 speed.

The stock mounts will not work.

The Stock Fiero Master Cylinder can be used. but the 6 speed has a hyd. Throw out bearing & parts have to be made to make it work. You must have a special clutch & custom friction plate.

The stock 4 speed shifter has to be modified & the cables are modified Getrag cables with a custom cable mount to the transmission.

The axle shafts are custom with Fiero stick shift outer C/V's & Pontiac inboard Tri-pots

If you're looking to do this swap down the road & want to save as much as posible by getting the transmission at a bone yard, also try to get the Intermediate shaft & the G6 axles assemblies because we need to use parts from these assemblies.

Certain people on this Forum would like to copy my work & claim it as their own. So the above will be all the help they"ll be getting.

Archie

------------------

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 05-03-2006).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
The tranny is the G6 6 speed.

The stock mounts will not work.

The Stock Fiero Master Cylinder can be used. but the 6 speed has a hyd. Throw out bearing & parts have to be made to make it work. You must have a special clutch & custom friction plate.

The stock 4 speed shifter has to be modified & the cables are modified Getrag cables with a custom cable mount to the transmission.

The axle shafts are custom with Fiero stick shift outer C/V's & Pontiac inboard Tri-pots

If you're looking to do this swap down the road & want to save as much as posible by getting the transmission at a bone yard, also try to get the Intermediate shaft & the G6 axles assemblies because we need to use parts from these assemblies.

Certain people on this Forum would like to copy my work & claim it as their own. So the above will be all the help they"ll be getting.

Archie

good stuff - thanks
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
perfect!

now I can put out feelers for parts and stockpile them til I'm ready. then when the getrag throws in the towel, I can order the parts from Archie. Hopefully this tranny will last a while tho, I don;t have the $$ for it right now, still payin off the rebuild costs
of gettin it on the road.
Then I can review this thread and any of the mere mortals who do it in their garage!
gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post

Archie, are you going to do a Kit for this swap (just 6-sp)? Have you thought about a price?

------------------
Ernie

1988 Silver GT
One owner 47000 miles.
Soon to be a 3.4 DOHC powered.

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
man, im working at the wrong shop. Need another employee? Just pay for re-loaction and im yours Hey, ill even let you drive the caprice

------------------

Fiero- mild 2.9 160hp
Caprice- wild 383 500hp
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
OK, I illegally drove it around the block... Second gear was really long. Might be good on gas that way. This tranny is in definite need of a 3.4 behind it as the 2.8 doesn't have the torque to make second gear very enjoyable...ofcourse I think I'm running on 5 cylinders anyway... In city driving, you may never leave second. I suppose having large circumference tires doesn't help...

I hope to get the 3.4 roller cam block dissassembled this week... The idle on this tired 2.8 motor isn't too steady. Sometimes it sits at 700rpm for a minute then bumps up to 1300...then 1000 then back down to 700....

I think this gearing will help me on the oval track (Seekonk Speedway). I'll be shifting into second before turn 1 and shifting into 3rd when I leave turn 2 instead of just before I leave turn 2 which would throw off my handling coming out of turn 2... Then I can stay in 3rd the rest of the lap like normal. Oh yeah! I'm going to win - baby!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-08-2006).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
update!

Car is awaiting an engine removal.

6th gear @ 2000rpm = 70mph.

The front suspense is LOW. My tires hit the fender over the slightest bump, however, I can take right (and left) turns without hitting the brakes. Should be a champ at the track.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Any update? I think you will finish that swap before me.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Damned if I know!

Waiting for the motor parts to be balanced...something about not having the right counter-weights!!!

Definitely missing my race on July 2nd. F'ing pissed! Car's been sitting with no motor in it for about a month...
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2006 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
First spy pics of 3400 blocker.

Notice the bolts going horizontally through the oil pan.

other side

Note, 3/8" diameter pushrods ARE NOT required when using a 3400 block. I added weight for nothing there.
DrDave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrDaveSend a Private Message to DrDaveDirect Link to This Post
What size are your rear tires?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
255/50/16 on '99 Camaro chrome-plated rims

picks of the ported and shortened intake will be posted soon
PFF
System Bot
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnDirect Link to This Post
Lou, do you know what the backspacing is on your Camaro wheels? How did you mount them on your 5x100 hubs? And they don't hit while turning, did I read that correctly?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I bought custom wheel bearings from Held Motorsports. These are stock Camaro rims so I think it's ~50mm (don't quote me).

I think the Corvette (5th gen) front 17x8.5" rims I linked to at the top of the page actually are 58mm but offer more clearance.

Read through the thread, they hit the swaybar and I think my turning radius is stock. I used the Held Slalom suspension.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

We have designed & use a Clutch & a Clutch friction plate that will bolt to the stock (or aftermarket) F/W & will sit into the 6 speed bellhousing at the correct depth to use it's input spline & to use the Hyd. T.O.B. that comes with the G6 transmission.

I hope that answers your questions.

Archie

Are you offering these for sale?
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

------------------
86 Fiero GT
-Stage eleventy billion...(pieces, that is!)

04 Mustang Cobra
-K&N FIPK
-DiabloSport Performance Tune

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gascarracer:

Archie, are you going to do a Kit for this swap (just 6-sp)? Have you thought about a price?

Archie, I'm curious if you're offering a DIY kit as well. I just finished my VW engine swap (Chevy 4.3 V6 and Porsche 5 speed into a baja bug) and I'm curious what you have in mind for the DIY type of guy. I'm not afraid of figuring it out myself if you're not offering such a thing, but if I can source some parts through you it'd help me save time and help you make a buck or two off the time spent and knowledge gained on the project.

I'll be putting the Northstar into my car shortly, and will be making all of my own urethane mounts (no offense, I just prefer poly). I was planning on using the stock Getrag, but the availability of the G6 has piqued my interest. If you offered the axles, clutch, etc. and directions in a kit, I think that would be great, but I understand if you don't. I looked on your website and didn't see anything about the G6, it looks like it doesn't get much attention these days.

Oh yeah, and if this question has already been answered elsewhere on PFF...somebody help me out. I searched to no avail and I haven't been around much lately. Thanks.

Bryce
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:

Archie, I'm curious if you're offering a DIY kit as well.
Bryce

Yes we do a kit for the G6 installation.

Write to me & we can figure out what you need.

Archie

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock